Locking lug nuts & Trimax wheel lock - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Locking lug nuts & Trimax wheel lock

Hi,

Has anyone installed locking lug nuts on a Casita trailer with tire size ST205/75R14?

What size of lug nuts would be needed and is there a brand you would recommend?

Also, has anyone used the Trimax TCL65 Wheel Chock Lock for their trailer? Any problems with it?

I've also read in older posts that some folks use a chain and lock system for their wheels and axle.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

Name: Maria
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Locking Lug Nuts?

This is what I plan to use on mine, it covers the lug nuts on the tire. The open clamp type leaves the lug nuts exposed where the tire can be taken off and replaced and then driven away. I need to check if this will fit the tires of the camper I'm getting, and the probable new tires when they need replacing. https://www.amazon.com/Oanon-Wheel-C...1200674&sr=8-5

Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Wheel boot defeat

The best bet is insurance and a tracker so you can get it back or replace it after it is stolen.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
The best bet is insurance and a tracker so you can get it back or replace it after it is stolen.
do note that picking that lock is not nearly as easy as he makes it look, he's a master lockpicker (by hobby), and there's quite a bit of feel and finesse in using one of those sorts of tools. I've watched him use a jiggler on a simple wafer lock in seconds, it takes me minutes to do the same thing with my lack of experience.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Maryland
Locking Lug Nuts?

Thanks Ken and John. Ken, that was too easy, but I would think seeing a 'cop type boot' on the camper tire would make someone want to walk away for easier pickings. Jon thanks for you input as well. I'm still thinking about it, and needing to find/buy one of those trackers. Do I just google 'trackers' and hope I don't get a person saying that they'll track anything I need tracking .
Old 06-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
note that trackers require either a satellite data communications account or cellular account, and the cellular ones won't work in the boonies and satellite uplinks won't work in dense forests. satellite accounts tend to run $25/month or so for Iridium, allowing location updates every 10 minutes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #7

Maryland
Locking Lug Nuts?

I looked at one online, says the service is free for 3 years from purchase, then $20 a year. I haven't read the reviews and haven't checked others yet, also looking at coupler locks for when I won't be around.