locking the hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
locking the hitch

I am wondering about recommended options for easily locking the hitch on my Surfside when I have to leave it overnight in a hotel parking lot or in an unpopulated campground for a a few hours. I'm in Canada so am hoping to find a product available here. I realize that all locks can be defeated . . . I am looking for something that will deter your average thief but costs under $100.
daniel in winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Boler 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	139820

Thought I'd show you my DIY overbuilt solution to the problem

Made of scrap I had kicking around and welded up. Puck lock cost me 30.00 so that's the big cost.

Thief has to really want it since once you get past the big chunk of well casing I also put a lock on the hitch lever as well. Nothing will keep a determined individual from taking what they want. But I'm gonna make them work for it.
bobdobqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This has worked for me for more than 12 years. $9.99
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch lock.jpg  
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
https://www.amplock.com
One of the best locks on the market. Canadian product.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Smart thieves know they can just hook up to chains and they are in business. Of course, a lot of not so smart thieves out there.

Forget all the nonsense, but you can see how fast using the safety chains can be! Time it, its around 2 to 3 seconds.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

Forget all the nonsense,...
Thats an interesting product. I know you posted it to show a theft by chains, but I cannot ignore the nonsense .. so, least anyone think they want one.. a few things.
  • Its for the Australian market (as in the other side of the Earth) but is available in N.A.
  • Its another wireless system (which actually means partially wireless). They claim that wireless is better because the 7-pin plug is unreliable. I would argue the exact opposite.
  • It relies on the trailer’s battery. A smart thief will simply cut the ground wire at the battery disabling the device, or more precisely stated, disabling the trailer’s brakes and lights on the trailer which is electrically disconnected from the tow veh.
  • You must have LED lighting on your trailer. The system is not capable of handling the high power demands of older incandescent lights.
  • The WiTi system will not replace any tow vehicle charging of your trailer batteries or for fridge power. These will still need to have physical wired connections.
  • It is US $500 (not including installation) for the cheaper version without the wireless interface.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use a lock on my coupler (Amplock brand mentioned above), but in my driveway I also leave the stabilizer jacks down, a couple windows cracked open, power cord attached, step extended, etc anything can can slow down a thief, enough to make him change his mind about my trailer and steal my neighbor's instead! ;-)
Fortunately many old trailers like ours are pretty unique, having all been restored and modified by their owners over the years, they will be spotted the minute the thief tries to sell them back (hopefully).
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
A chain with padlock around the axle or frame, then through the wheel rim.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have a locking mechanism that secures to the trailer tongue. There are several models available at most dealerships, princess auto etc. These devices make it more difficult, hopefully too much trouble for a thief to bother with.
A better option may be to use a hardened steel chain through the wheel to secure it to the axle and prevent the wheel from turning.
A buddy of mine who boondocks for the entire season removes the wheels from his unit.
The bottom line is that a thief who is determined and has sufficient time will be able to defeat most security systems and take your unit.
Make certain your insurance covers theft of the entire trailer
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Hitch lock

Just Google "Trailer Hitch Lock". Plenty out there.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
I have come to the realization that if someone wants to steal my Bigfoot they will. All I can do is deter the lightweight/opportunistic thieves. So like others I've got a standard lock for the hitch lock and I added a cast aluminum ball hitch lock too.

I'm not crazy but I am 75 and my mind is full of stuff - I suspect at some time I'll lose the two keys for these locks! And I hope it doesn't happen when I'm boondocking and out of cell range. The hitch lock padlock I can break off with my 5 lb hammer. the cast aluminum Gorilla (Walmart $40.00 cdn) I can destroy with said hammer and a cold chisel. Seen it done and I always have those tools. I guess what I'm saying is make sure you have a backup plan to remove those locks - either tools of mass destruction or a bunch of spare keys!
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel in winnipeg View Post
I am wondering about recommended options for easily locking the hitch on my Surfside when I have to leave it overnight in a hotel parking lot or in an unpopulated campground for a a few hours. I'm in Canada so am hoping to find a product available here. I realize that all locks can be defeated . . . I am looking for something that will deter your average thief but costs under $100.
We have a lock that goes into the hitch like a ball and locks tightly. We also put a padlock on the lever since we tow with our lever locked anyway. Then we have a tire lock that can't be removed unless you remove the tire and wheel. We wrap the chains around the tongue and can lock them together. So we cover all we can to prevent a theft. We've been told by the cops that making a breakin or theft difficult the thief will look for an easier target. So locking the chains is important along with other methods. Two to three hundred dollars is cheap and worth it compared to a trailer theft.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #13

Name: Kevin
Oregon
https://brahmalock.com/
Kevin Probst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #14

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Probst View Post
https://brahmalock.com/
Kevin, are you using the brahma lock?
Old 03-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #15

Oregon
Yes, if I’m traveling to destinations where I believe my Casita will be vulnerable to theft I bring it with me and use it.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #16

Manitoba
Quote:
Yes, if I’m traveling to destinations where I believe my Casita will be vulnerable to theft I bring it with me and use it.
How do you like it?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #17

Oregon
I love it. Best anti-theft solution I’ve ever come across. With other wheel locks the tire could be removed and the spare put on by the thieves to steal your trailer. Cannot be removed even if they flatten the tire. You can leave it on at home for peace of mind as well if desired.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:07 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Vulnerable situations?

Quote:
As a newbie, I’m not sure which situations would make my new Scamp the most vulnerable to theft. Could you elaborate on that please?
(When we’re at home, it’s locked in the garage.)
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #19

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Lock & GPS

I use a lock ( It's over $100 - Proven Lock ) and I have a GPS hidden in the Casita. It alerts me if it is moved & the users use Google maps in live time to follow it.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #20

Oregon
Sonnyone

When you’re unhitched and away from your trailer while boondocking or staying in any campground or spot that has no surveillance or security around.

Tags
hitch, lock, security, surfside, theft