Loose screw in Casita pantry door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2023, 06:38 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Loose screw in Casita pantry door

Our 2011 Casita SD has the microwave cabinet over the refrigerator. I have never used a microwave in it, I've always used it as a pantry.
One of the screws in the hinges of the door is loose. Ordinarily we'd just tighten it up, but the fact that it's loose in the first place makes me want to tighten it or replace it.

The screws are 3/4" wood screws, which don't seem to be substantial for that much weight.

I'd liked to upsize the screw to something a little more substantial, but if it's just going through a thin piece of scrap wood (something I've found Casita used a LOT in places that you can't see) then a longer screw wouldn't be much help.

Problem is the shaft part is hidden under mouse fur (carpeting) in the pantry. I do not know how it is mounted.

Is the screw mounted directly into what I assume (I know, I know) is 3/8's OSB? For that matter, is the floor of the pantry OSB at all?

Or is it inserted into a piece of wood that's flush with the fiberglass?

I hesitate to pull up the carpet until I know how it's installed. Glued? Just kindasorta Stuck?

Thanks for any advice.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:37 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Just remove the screw and put a drop of white glue in the hole, or on the screw. Then put it back in without over tightening it. Give it an hour and it will be stronger than new, without guessing or overthinking anything. If you have to remove it later, you still can.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Troy
Texas
An old trick for loose wood screws is to glue a toothpick into the hole. Usually will give the screw just enough bite to hold.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:34 AM   #4

Washington
Thank you, all! We'll try the glue trick. I think the hole is too small for a toothpick.
Old 04-14-2023, 10:25 AM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
Thank you, all! We'll try the glue trick. I think the hole is too small for a toothpick.
Put some glue on the toothpick....just jam it in as far as it will go.....break it off....let it set up for 30 mintutes.....put the same screw back in.....better than new. Good luck Meadowlark.....hope you folks are getting ready for some camping.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #6

Washington
We are, Jerrybob. Just put new tires on the Casita and right now going to fill propane tanks. Can't wait!
Old 04-15-2023, 10:55 AM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
We are, Jerrybob. Just put new tires on the Casita and right now going to fill propane tanks. Can't wait!
YeeHaa.......have fun and be safe.........enoy!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:19 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Just remove the screw and put a drop of white glue in the hole, or on the screw. Then put it back in without over tightening it. Give it an hour and it will be stronger than new, without guessing or overthinking anything. If you have to remove it later, you still can.
Great idea.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita