Loose screws in 2015 Scamp bath door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #21

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
The bath door fell off going thru Mojave preserve. Left it off & replaced with tension rod & shower curtain. Luckily door fit along front side couch as had 2 more weeks to travel. Fridge door also fell off that trip. Still finding screws in scampi!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #22

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I can report that I removed the bath door, put GO2 glue in all the screw holes from the hinge to door side and reinstalled the door. That was 6K miles ago at my brothers house in GA. Now back in CA the door is doing fine showing no sign of hinge coming loose. I think I'll replace the door sometime with a natural wood louvered door which will be lighter weight and allow air flow. But no hurry now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
The bath door fell off going thru Mojave preserve. Left it off & replaced with tension rod & shower curtain. Luckily door fit along front side couch as had 2 more weeks to travel. Fridge door also fell off that trip. Still finding screws in scampi!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Are you saying that you had been showering without a shower curtain up until you lost the door??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #24

Registry
12 years and 70,000 miles of use on our Scamp 13D,and the only screws which have come out were two on the sheet metal furnace cover. The doors, other than the entry door and the bathroom door are all solid oak with oak veneer plywood panels. The frames of the cabinets are solid oak.
The bulkhead and the bathroom door are laminated cabinet grade MDF with plastic on one side and oak veneer on the other, perfect and stable after more than a decade.
This thread has made me feel much more responsible than I have ever imagined until now....THANX
Old 06-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #25

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Pics

I love my mod, and the shower curtain matches the window curtains. I made the shower curtain very wide, and it can be draped over the toilet to keep the shower water mostly in the shower pan.
Attached Thumbnails
030.jpg   031.jpg  

Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
This looks really practical. No more stepping aside to let someone out of the bathroom. You'd have better airflow too. Love it! Thanks for sharing.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #27

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've had more problems out of the latches than I have hinges. I used toothpics or similar wood and CA glue to go back with the screws. I havent had any more issues with the screws where I've performed this fix.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #28

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I've had more problems out of the latches than I have hinges. I used toothpics or similar wood and CA glue to go back with the screws. I havent had any more issues with the screws where I've performed this fix.
That's not a bad way to make a repair! I have a cutter for making wooden plugs, I have drilled holes where the screws were located and plugged them with plugs that I cut. The advantage is that the screws do not go into end grain, so they hold better.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #29

I like that idea even better Dennis! I got a Craftsman tool kit free not too long ago with some "points" and it has "Brad bits" in it. They would be excellent for drilling the holes I think for the plugs. Just got to watch and make sure they dont go all the way through! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
That's not a bad way to make a repair! I have a cutter for making wooden plugs, I have drilled holes where the screws were located and plugged them with plugs that I cut. The advantage is that the screws do not go into end grain, so they hold better.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #30

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I like that idea even better Dennis! I got a Craftsman tool kit free not too long ago with some "points" and it has "Brad bits" in it. They would be excellent for drilling the holes I think for the plugs. Just got to watch and make sure they dont go all the way through! lol.
Good point about drilling through. The brad point bits that I use have a very fast lead and pull through very quickly. A depth stop is in order.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #31

Hilarious! Now that you mention it, the kit ALSO came with set collars for the bits. Good stuff Dennis! I'll "test" if I ever use the wood method before going "live" on my Scamp doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Good point about drilling through. The brad point bits that I use have a very fast lead and pull through very quickly. A depth stop is in order.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
When we were shopping I looked at the Deluxe. A salesman told me they were solid wood. While I assumed veneer plywood it never occurred to me they would use MDF, especially in a bathroom. I assumed Doug's was a Deluxe but rereading after my second cup of coffee I see he did say door. My turn

That said, I find the MDF use very disappointing. I'd replace the door with some AC plywood. Raz
Replacing the door with AC plywood would be a denegration since the bulkhead and the door on the deluxe are made of an engineered material with plastic on one side and Oak(or Birch) on the other. It is very stable and after 12years of regular use, mine looks and performs as well as the first day.
Why would you choose AC grade plywood and not something with more plies and good on both sides?
I do of course agree that a shower curtain properly used will help to protect the door and the floor outside the bathroom.
You recommended not getting the door wet... does that mean one should also refrain from feeding it after midnight?
I know some trailers seem to be plagued with Gremlins, especially those with a screw loose!...

Tags
scamp