Loose screws in 2015 Scamp bath door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 12:33 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Loose screws in 2015 Scamp bath door

The front bath door in our 2015 Scamp 16 has screws pulling out at the top of the piano hinge. I replaced the top 3 screws (about 5/8") with some #6 1.25 screws. It helped for a couple days but the door is still getting loose. When taking the hinge screws out the inside of the door seems like sawdust. I figure I will replace the door after a while with a thin panel and real wood frame. Just wondering if others have dealt with this issue already, and what solution. Thx

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
the inside of the door seems like sawdust.
Up until recently I was under the impression Scamp used real wood. Turns out they apparently use MDF (medium density fiberboard) in some places. This might be one of them. MDF does not hold screws well. Also, don't get it wet. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Up until recently I was under the impression Scamp used real wood. Turns out they apparently use MDF (medium density fiberboard) in some places. This might be one of them. MDF does not hold screws well. Also, don't get it wet. Raz
Scamp only uses real wood in the Deluxe. It's the reason a number of Scamp owners with the Standard models replace the doors... lighter weight, better quality.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp only uses real wood in the Deluxe. It's the reason a number of Scamp owners with the Standard models replace the doors... lighter weight, better quality.
Apparently they are using MDF in the deluxe models too. See posts 42 and 43.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-72389-4.html
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I should have said "Scamp only uses real wood in the Deluxe doors."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I should have said "Scamp only uses real wood in the Deluxe doors."
When we were shopping I looked at the Deluxe. A salesman told me they were solid wood. While I assumed veneer plywood it never occurred to me they would use MDF, especially in a bathroom. I assumed Doug's was a Deluxe but rereading after my second cup of coffee I see he did say door. My turn

That said, I find the MDF use very disappointing. I'd replace the door with some AC plywood. Raz
Old 04-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Scamp bath door

We had the same problem on our 05 Scamp 16 standard. Tried filling the holes with wood filler and that worked for a while, but eventually the MDF spread further apart all the way down the edge where the screws go in. Made our own door with a maple frame and thin veneer plywood, stained the maple and painted the panels white. Turned out pretty nice, for a rookie like me
Half the weight of that 26 pound MDF door.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20160131_19_40_37_Pro.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That looks really nice, John. Feels more open, too. I've also seen one with translucent plastic panels- light weight and admits light into the bathroom.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
We totally removed the door on our 13' Scamp, as it was always in the way of the stove/fridge. We put a small tension rod in the door frame with a cute US cities novelty fabric (soon to be replaced by vintage trailers fabric) hung by shower hooks, exterior to the shower rod & plastic drape. All can be moved aside & left open versus hung and closed for privacy. We are much happier with this arrangement.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
I imagine the bathroom wouldn't be so freezing on cold mornings with the door gone.
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If it's any consolation, my mother bought a brand-new Roadtrek Class B ($$$). All the beautifully veneered cabinetry was some kind of particleboard underneath, lower quality even than the MDF in my Scamp I'd say. The slightest resistance (like something stored in the cabinet interfering with the normal movement of the door) caused hinges to pull loose in a shower of sawdust. The cabinet panels were very thick, too, so a lot of space was wasted in an RV type that puts a premium on space utilization.

If it were me, I'd probably patch it up for the time being but begin planning a replacement door. Or no door, if you like that idea better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
John - VERY nice job on your new door! I have removed the HEAVY door and replaced it with 13 ounces of polyester fabric to match the curtains. I know I'll end up doing something else in the future, but my point was to remove the weight. The 28# dinette table was removed before the bath door!
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There is a product called GO2 GLUE which is really good stuff, dip your screw in this glue and reinstall it, problem solved.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #14

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I replaced all of the doors in our Scamp because : 1. The screws were pulling out of the MDF. 2. We wanted true real wood.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
We totally removed the door on our 13' Scamp, as it was always in the way of the stove/fridge. We put a small tension rod in the door frame with a cute US cities novelty fabric (soon to be replaced by vintage trailers fabric) hung by shower hooks, exterior to the shower rod & plastic drape. All can be moved aside & left open versus hung and closed for privacy. We are much happier with this arrangement.
I've considered doing this also. Free free to post photos!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Interesting - in my 2004 19Deluxe the bathroom door and the wall, made of the MDF has an extruded aluminum U-channel that reinforces both where the piano hinge is mounted. The piano hinge screws are all actually driven into the aluminum, it seems, and feel solid. Those channels are attached with a number of short screws at 90 degrees to those holding the piano hinge. I have no idea if this was the standard procedure, or something special.

BTW, any loose screws that show up on the floor after a trip down a rough road get put back with a small, but generous dollop of my trusty Lexel caulk/adhesive. Did not have any of those during the last trip, but we did not drive to Chaco Canyon this time! That road cost me once about 45 minutes work replacing loose screws and more, before proceeding. Gum, bailing wire and duct tape to the rescue!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Got a screw loose somewhere !

My 1993 Scamp had been in storage until I bought it about 6 yrs ago, so it was essentially new. All screws were in place but started loosening as soon as I started taking trips. On the large closet door the longer screws I installed just poked through the outside veneer so I drilled them out and installed thin brass bolts that matched the hinges and other screws. Now about all of my doors have bolts with lock washers holding the hinges on. The other problem is that the hinges are common household hinges and start to bend and break. Phlip-it cabinet locks or something similar hold some of the weight of the doors without resorting to the rather ugly screen door catches. The doors are too heavy and not the best material. Sometime try to drive behind a Scamp or small fiberglas trailer; you will not believe how much they bounce, especially on bumpy roads. Real RV latches hold some of the weight and keep down the vibration but I think the real answer is lighter but stronger thin plywood doors.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #18

Name: Linda
Colorado
Ah, yes... we drove to Chaco Canyon last fall and we both remarked we were glad we didn't have the Scamp with us on that road! Imagine it would shake everything loose in the camper. Love my camper too much to put it through such abuse! But Chaco Canyon is worth enduring the road in a lone vehicle, just leave the camper behind.
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We visited Chaco several times, only once with the Scamp. We took the south access in, the north out, on the way from AZ to CO. One was worse than the other, the north by a lot. The locals would only tell us that the roads are "not the best" - I am still laughing.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

Name: Linda
Colorado
We were warned about the roads beforehand. I think we came in from the north. Worth the bouncing to see it though. Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde really fire up my imagination and sense of wonder!
“Casa Swany”
ljswanson53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp