Making My Scamp Shiny Again - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Making My Scamp Shiny Again

Around 4-6 years ago... there were many posts about using a floor product to make our Scamps shiny like they were when new.

Is this still the best way to go about it?

If so... what was the floor stuff called? Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
[QUOTE=barryra;748026]Around 4-6 years ago... there were many posts about using a floor product to make our Scamps shiny like they were when new.
.../QUOTE]

I dare say there have been many posts about which are much more recent than 4-6 years. In fact it seems to be an always ongoing and never ending debate. I will not comment on this topic for the same reason that I wont comment on religion or politics (not because its against the forum's rules by the way).

But this should help you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=floo...berglassrv.com
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Maine
Just applied the bar keepers friend and ZEP Wet Look to my BigFoot trailer. Very satisfied after 4 coats of the ZEP. Reputation is for the shine to last for years.
My only after thought is that the finish is bright and shiny but not smooth like wax.
Jim Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Lots of info on how to make your rig shiny both on the web and this forum, just do a search.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Floor Wax Finish

Zep has three products which you can purchase at Lowe's

A heavy duty floor wax stripper, a dirt and grease remover, and the heavy duty floor wax.

Use the wax stripper to remove the old wax. this is the hardest step in the process. Then wash the trailer down with the dirt and grease remover and then start applying the heavy duty floor wax. It took four coats of the floor wax to get my Casita to really shine.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Name: Wesley
Trailer: 1989 19ft 5th Deluxe Scamp
Missouri
floor polish

I used the Zep Wet-look foor polish on my '89' Scamp 19' 8 years ago . STILL looks good . I store it in side during the winter and outside in the summer . The more coats you put on it the shinier it gets , about 4-5 coats is what I did . Just make sure you wash you micro fiber clothes that you use with before using them or you will have lint in the finish . The bugs wash off easier I think , I just dish soap and water .
shooter_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
After reading too many posts to count, I chose to go the Poliglow route. I watched Amazon videos and followed Poliglow’s directions exactly. My trailer looks beautiful. We just did it last winter so time will tell if it holds up, with occasional reapplication. People have strong opinions about fiberglass care. I suspect there is more than one way to do it right. Good luck in whichever direction you go!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
making my trailer shiny again.

Here is stuff I have used over the years on all of FG Campers, Class B, CLass C, Bigfoot' trailers, Class A's they all are FG Sides and roofs.
This is a Marine Product made by Dometic Dirt Defense D2x Ultra Red Cleaner Cuts through tough black Streaks & Grease, cleans wihtout leaving a Filmy Residue, also shines, it comes in a Concetrated Formula, only way I could but this at the marina in Bellingham is 1 US gallon and is made in the USA.
once we got them clean we used Meguiar's Marine RV Cleaner Wax 50 One Step. Removes light oxidation & minor scratches, Restores Gloss and color to gel coat, Provides Superior, Durable Protection. WHere plastic or that kind of glove when using as could cause sking irritation.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

Name: Danny
Trailer: Boler
New Brunswick
i have a 1988 Boler, the finish was quite dull and very dirty on the top, I used Bar Keeper's Friend to clean the finish of all the gel coat - it took a lot of work on the roof portion, I then thoroughly rinsed the entire trailer and applied 3 coats of Zep wet-look floor finish (from Home Depot in Canada) using a micro fibre cloth. The Boler looked fantastic. That was last year. My plan was to add a final coat this year. So far, I've washed the trailer and it looks great, will probably add the 4th coat later in the summer, when things slow down!!
Danny and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've noticed high end vehicles painted flat grey or black - Mercedes, BMW, Maserati.
Could leave it and eventually it will all be oxidized and in fashion.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #11

Name: Ken
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Angry Shiny Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Around 4-6 years ago... there were many posts about using a floor product to make our Scamps shiny like they were when new.

Is this still the best way to go about it?

If so... what was the floor stuff called? Thanks
Hi there. I used ZEP floor polish 2 yrs ago and, it looked great for 2 years, but oxidizes and looks terrible now! Have to strip it with ZEP floor stripper and it’s a terrible job. I’m afraid I wouldn’t recommend it. 😩😩
kenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #12

Name: Norman
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Fiberglass finishes

Are these products spray on? Do you have to mask windows etc. before applying them?
Norman Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hicks View Post
Are these products spray on? Do you have to mask windows etc. before applying them?

Probably need a polisher.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 12.46.25 PM.png  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr View Post
Hi there. I used ZEP floor polish 2 yrs ago and, it looked great for 2 years, but oxidizes and looks terrible now! Have to strip it with ZEP floor stripper and it’s a terrible job. I’m afraid I wouldn’t recommend it. 😩😩
Ken, stripping it is a piece of cake but use the stripper full strength. I can strip it and do 5 coats of wax on my SD 17 in 4 hours. Mine needs it too but it's 115* outside .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Ken, stripping it is a piece of cake but use the stripper full strength. I can strip it and do 5 coats of wax on my SD 17 in 4 hours. Mine needs it too but it's 115* outside .
Dave, I had to do mine two days ago in our 107 degree heat, and as you stated, it took about 4 hours to de-wax (used Zep Floor Stripper full strength and a Scotch Bright pad, followed immediately with a stream of water) and re-wax with 5 coats. Looks like new again.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #16

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Making my Scamp Shine Again

Hi ,I did my Trillium 4 years ago with ZEP commercial floor finish. I cleaned the body first with car wash soap. Then I used SOS pads for any spots that still showed any dirt remaining. After drying thoroughly I applied 3 coats of finish with a cloth covered foam pad by wiping it on in light coats and catching any drips as I went. Do the roof first down to the mid section, then the lower body. There's no need to mask anything if you go slowly and don't splash it on. The first coat will not shine very much so let it dry and repeat with the 2nd & 3rd coats. Do the application in the shade or on a cool day as it dries much too quickly in the sunlight and heat. I'm very happy with the shine and it seems to last very well. You can use the stripper to take it off if needed. ZEP will not hide any flaws in your fiberglass finish so keep that in mind. Good luck with whatever product you decide to use. Happy camping ,Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #17

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Mass
ZEP a de do don't

Do not use ZEP Floor polish. You will regret it two years later when it yellows and has to be stripped. Use a quality marine ( fiberglass) polish or wax.

eggscamper.blogspot.com

GQ
Garyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Gary, two years between four hours of stripping and re-applying is much better than every 3 months I was getting out of any of the good quality marine fiberglass products.
Dave & Paula
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #19

Has anybody informed 3M, NuFinish, Turtle, Mother's etc. that they wasted so much money on R&D to create their products?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Glenn, I haven’t contacted them, but I did try all those that you have listed, as well as several other Marine Wax or Polish, and NONE of them works as well as the ZEP.
Dave & Paula

Tags
scamp