Meguires Wax turned parts of my Acorn PINK !!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Acorn
Wisconsin
Meguires Wax turned parts of my Acorn PINK !!!!

So, the Acorn has been scrubbed with Barkeepers Friend, a repaired portion painted, the petrified tree sap removed, and I woke up this morning excited to get at the Wax. As I applied the wax, a swath of bubblegum pink color appeared on the trailer (about 6" x 10") . . . I waited until the wax dried, and scrubbed it away with the Barkeepers friend - no easy feat . . . I tentatively continued, and on the other side of the trailer, another very small pink area appeared (about 2" x 3") . . . most of the coat is fine. I'm not finished. I can't figure out what's going on. I'm not sure if I want to continue until I figure out what's going on. Why is my trailer turning pink? HELP!!!!!
NancyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Sounds like it was painted in a previous life, and when scrubbed, is coming back through? Just a guess. Good luck!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If it is leaching through, could you paint those areas with something like KILZ to block the stain? Then paint over with the same paint you used for the repaired area. Is this pink showing up with the tree sap may have been? It may have left some chemical residue behind even after the washing. KILZ was take care of this, too.

Otherwise, it sounds like the wax is reacting to something in the gel coat and painting the entire trailer may be the solution.

Perhaps some "chemists" in our midst can solve this for you!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Barkeepers is no friend to fiberglass clear coat. It is like using a fine sandpaper and removes the clearcoat and if it had been painted, well that's even worse as it removes the paint.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Barkeepers is no friend to fiberglass clear coat. It is like using a fine sandpaper and removes the clearcoat and if it had been painted, well that's even worse as it removes the paint.
Fiberglass trailers don't have a clearcoat, unless applied by an owner. They do come out of the mould with a gelcoat.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Is the wax being applied very gently? Seems to me if just being there creates the pink "blush" then the issue is a reaction. If rubbing the wax then the wax could be removing a tiny amount of of surface paint, especially if it's called color restore or says it's for faded paint. Those are both mildly abrasive.

BKF is pretty mild abrasive, however it is a bleach agent. Did you rinse really really well, might even want to wash off with a weak solution of TSP (hardware, paint and big box stores) then rinse. TSP is a cleaner, one that rinses off well, might remove any BKF residue. Often used on walls before painting or wall papering.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It is a sign from above that you are supposed to start selling Mary Kay.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Stupid question but what color are the applicator and rags/cloths you are using?
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Donna, My Bad on the Clear / Gel coat. I had a Brain Buenosaires.
Thanks for the correction.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #10

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Acorn
Wisconsin
I used the applicator that came with the wax - wiped off with clean white cotton rags. It really looks to be some kind of chemical reaction. After scrubbing off the pink stains with the BKF, I rewaxed the area with no pink appearing. Did an entire side with 1 small pink dot and 1 small line of pink appearing. Went around the back with no pink until I came to the upper corner where a large pink area appeared. I have been removing petrified tree sap with rubbing alcohol and thought that perhaps there was alcohol residue that was reacting with the wax, so I put some wax on a cotton rag and poured some rubbing alcohol over it and nothing happened, so I don't think that's the culprit. My husband thinks that maybe I touched the aluminum drip cap or window frames, but the stains are not consistent with the areas near aluminum, and I scrubbed the ENTIRE Acorn with BKF 2 days prior to applying the wax. There is no consistency to the staining, so I'm really stumped. I did manage to get most of the Acorn waxed, and I guess will just keep scrubbing off the pink when it appears and rewaxing. Thanks for all of your info.
NancyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Donna, My Bad on the Clear / Gel coat. I had a Brain Buenosaires.
Thanks for the correction.
, just wanted any newbee that came along to be given correct info
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote