Minivan seats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ok, I'm about ready to go pick up my Scamp. I've got a Class II hitch and a transmissin cooler installed in my Nissan Quest. Right now the Quest only has the front seats in it because I have removed the rear and middle seats to make an open back end for storage, moving things, etc. Kind of like an enclosed pickup truck. Anyway, the seats that I have removed weigh about 175 or so pounds comined (reducing the weight of my van this much and also lightening the back and middle a small amount). My question is do you think I should put these seats back in when I tow the Scamp? The Scamp doesn't have brakes right now btw. Also, since this is a front wheel drive van the lighter weight of the rear end might give me little more weight up on my front tires for traction. What do you think-put the seats back in, leave them out, or it doesn't matter?
Cheers.
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I checked the minivan curb weight. It's 4066lbs. with the seats in.
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Don't sweat it. I tow a lot with the seats out of my Mazda MPV. Actually, the tongue weight of your Scamp will probably put about the same weight back on your rear axle. These FGRVs are easy to tow, your Nissan is more than sufficient for the job. Relax and enjoy the trip!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Don't sweat it... Relax and enjoy the trip!
I agree with Jack.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Only the second-row seats come out of my Sienna (the third row folds into the floor), and I do generally leave those seats out. As Jack mentioned, without a weight-distributing hitch the trailer adds load to the van; the rear axle gets all of that load, plus more pried off of the front axle by the lever effect of the hitch being behind the rear axle. I am generally more concerned about excessive load on the rear axle than inadequate load.

With my Sienna, I measured the almost-empty axle weights (one occupant, no second-row seats) at 1130 kg (2486 lb) front and 870 kg (1914 lb) rear. My Boler is a 17-foot B1700RGH (about twice the weight of a typical 13-foot egg) and even dry and nearly empty it had 100 kg (220 lb) of hitch weight.

The distance from the rear axle to the hitch ball in my case is about 40% of the wheelbase, so the trailer pushing down of the hitch like one end of a see-saw (with the rear axle as the pivot point) lifts 40 kg off of the front axle. Hooking up my B1700 to the Sienna added the 100 kg of hitch weight plus 40 kg of transferred load (140 kg or 308 lb total) to the rear axle.

Results:
  • front axle goes from 1130 kg (2486 lb) without trailer to 1090 kg (2398 lb) with
  • rear axle goes from 870 kg (1914 lb) without trailer to 1010 (2222 lb) with
The van balance is fine with or without the trailer, and more cargo in the rear is not needed. When the cargo we want to carry is considered, we are certainly better off without the seats. I have even considered removing the third row set for heavily loaded trips.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I removed my seats to get more cargo room. I noticed no difference when towing without them.

I'd say your OK to put them back in.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote