Miracle Duct Tape Adhesive Remover! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Miracle Duct Tape Adhesive Remover!

Believe it or not, MAYONNAISE removes stuck on, impossible to remove, dried on in the sun, duct tape adhesive. To stop a few small leaks on the window corners of our 13' Scamp we needed a quick fix of duct tape. While it did the job, we could not get back to our trailer, stored outdoors an hour from our home, for a couple months (due to illness). needless to say, sun, rain, heat and cold secured that duct tape on our trailer seemingly forever! Well, the tape peeled off easily enough but the adhesive STUCK BIG TIME! I tried to remove it using all the suggestions on the Internet; warm water, rubbing alcohol, dish soap, WD-40, scrubbie...all to no avail.

Suddenly, I remembered a tip from a graphic artist I had worked with long ago. His tip has ALWAYS worked to remove stubborn adhesive including those sales tags that never seem to come off. His solution; MAYONNAISE! Gunk it on, wait a bit, use fingernail to scrape off gently, wipe and repeat. The glass cleaned the fastest, then the rubber, then the fiberglass and the most difficult was the metal. All surfaces cleaned without scratching.

What I learned from this experience... If I need to make a temporary repair with duct tape...if possible, return the next day to make the repair or be prepared to deal with the lengthy process of stuck on adhesive!

What surprising cleaning tips do you have?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Best stuff I have found for adhesive removal is carburetor cleaner; it evaporates fairly quickly and leaves no residue. But I've never tried mayo...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #3

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
There's a product on the market called "Goo Gone" oil based and seems to disolve the adhesives. I've used it many times with great success
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
There's a product on the market called "Goo Gone" oil based and seems to disolve the adhesives. I've used it many times with great success
Yah, but, have you ever tried it on a salad?
I've got two bottles of Goo Gone and I've not had success that would cause me to recommend the stuff for removing adhesives or enhancing a salad.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mayonnaise is a suspension made from eggs and oil as I recall. I wonder which is the solvent? I've had good luck with Goo Gone, a plastic scrapper, and a hair dryer. Next time I'll try the Mayo. Thanks for the tip.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Mayo sounds like a great fix! Something most of us have around in the fridge...whether camping or at home.

I've had very good success removing adhesive gunk using a homemade goo-gone comprised of 2 parts baking soda to 1 part cooking oil (doesn't matter what kind). I've also used solid oil, like coconut and that works well with this "recipe" too. Just mix together and apply the paste to the adhesive. Rub it with your fingers and if needed, give it a bit of a scrub with either fingernails or some kind of scrubber. Works very well for me!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Spray and wipe with WD-40. Works good for removing glues and adhesives from duct tape.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Good tip.

The oil is the primary solvent in mayonnaise, Goo Gone, and WD-40. The suspension of mayonaise also helps it stay in place while it dissolves the glue.

Obviously eggs alone would create a bigger removal problem.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
Plastic razor blades

Scraprite makes a plastic razor blade that is perfect for removing adhesive. Mayonnaise, goo gone, wd40 all have an oil base so "like dissolves like", but the plastic razor blades will be a great substitute for your fingernails. They come in three different densities, I like the orange, they had a hundred of them for less than $10 on eBay. Love to discover a new product. Once you have these you will find dozens of uses. Enjoy!
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Believe it or not, MAYONNAISE removes stuck on, impossible to remove, dried on in the sun, duct tape adhesive.
I would bet it is the vinegar in the mayonnaise that is what does the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Spray and wipe with WD-40. Works good for removing glues and adhesives from duct tape.
I have used WD-40 too. The solvent in it softens the dried adhesive.

On something that can handle it I like to first carefully scrape off what I can. I then use acetone, and the residue comes off really fast. Works great on gelcoat.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There is a variety of tape that can be used outdoors and left on for several years without leaving any residue. It will seal out water. It is called "preservation tape". It was designed to be used for creating the large plastic shrink wrap structures they put around things that are being stored such as boats, cars, etc. Get the white or the black tape for outdoor use. A good place to look for it is from sources that are marine supply related.

Of course living in a neighborhood where there are thousands of boats I have no trouble finding it on the shelf at various stores in my location, it is even carried by my local Do-IT-Best hardware store. I have some of it in my trailers emergency repair kit.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yah, but, have you ever tried it on a salad?
I've got two bottles of Goo Gone and I've not had success that would cause me to recommend the stuff for removing adhesives or enhancing a salad.
I used it recently to remove duct tape residue that was a few months old on a car. I think the key is you have to let it sit a while, whipped off without issue.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I went to college way back when at UCSB (University of CA Santa Barbara) and back then their beach was famous for tar which invariably got on your feet. We always used mayonnaise or Wesson Oil to remove it! Thanks for the memory...
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #14

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Best stuff I have found for adhesive removal is carburetor cleaner; it evaporates fairly quickly and leaves no residue. But I've never tried mayo...
I agree with Mike! We had a lot of gooey messy adhesive to removed from our Scamp and nothing touched it except carb cleaner. We tried everything from peanut butter to kerosene to GooGone, acetone, finger nail polish remover, brake fluid, gasoline, Purple Power, bathroom cleaner, etc. Nothing worked as well as carb cleaner.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Mayonnaise is a suspension made from eggs and oil as I recall. I wonder which is the solvent? I've had good luck with Goo Gone, a plastic scrapper, and a hair dryer. Next time I'll try the Mayo. Thanks for the tip.
Hair dryer + Solvent = Trouble

Please be careful!
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I would bet it is the oil, and to a lesser extent, the fat in the egg yolk.

I would guess that Goo Gone and WD 40 contain both oil, and a stronger solvent. Is that possible?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Could it be the vinegar?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote