Mold on Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
It may be late to be asking advice on how to remove mold as i spent a few hours yesterday with light rubbing compound and an electric polisher. The day before I tested hand cleaner (orange with pumice) but feared it was too abrasive. The rubbing compound (i think it is turtle wax brand light duty compound - white colour and less abrasive feeling than red/brown stuff) It is working but very slowly and does not completely remove the mold. When up close I can see the previously very black spots are still there. They are just very pale grey now. Will anything completely remove this stuff without doing damage to the 32 year old surface?

Once I get it as clean as possible what is the recommended treatment to keep the mold from returning? Wax? What brand?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This is the best stuff I have found.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

Click image for larger version

Name:	044600300818.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	14409
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use regular Clorox and water mixed 50/50.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
I use regular Clorox and water mixed 50/50.
Too strong of a concentration, you will give yourself burns and destroy your clothes...usually for mold and bacteria, 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water is all you need. Might need a bit more elbow grease, but at least you won't be breathing noxious fumes.

Pam
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #5

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Thanks for this advice. The job is half done and I'm going to try the bleach tomorrow if it ever stops raining. Then will have a go with the rubbing compound.

Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for this advice. The job is half done and I'm going to try the bleach tomorrow if it ever stops raining. Then will have a go with the rubbing compound.
Hi,
I just restored my 5th Fiberglassrv. I used "Bar Keepers Friend" Make it into a past andworks 2-3 foot sections, leaving it on the entire trailer for 3-4 hours in the sunlight. Wash twice and rinse well. The original gelcoat will come through like you can't believe.

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
my scamp was moldy as all heck, when I got it, I towed it to the quicky wash and pressure washed every square inch of the outside, blasted it off pretty good, took about 15 bucks in quarters thou, but it worked really good.
Scott Corsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:
Hi,
I just restored my 5th Fiberglassrv. I used "Bar Keepers Friend" Make it into a past andworks 2-3 foot sections, leaving it on the entire trailer for 3-4 hours in the sunlight. Wash twice and rinse well. The original gelcoat will come through like you can't believe.

Dave
"The Trillium King"

Dave,

I've used Bar Keepers friend to clean my trailer and it does work very well but I've never kept it on very long. Do you mix it up prior, or just put it on thick? The week before 4th of July I went over every inch of my trailer cleaning it with 2 cans of the stuff from the top of the a/c shroud to the bottom. Took 2 days - then I read somewhere on here that someone used "NuFinish" and while it looked nice for about 4 days, I'm back to square 1 again...no shine.

I'm all for trying anything to get 'some' shine...I realize it's 23 years old...heck I don't shine as well as I used to 23 years ago either...can't expect my trailer to!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #9

Trailer:
I've never cleaned a fiberglass trailer but there are products made for getting the scummy line off boat hulls just above the waterline that work quickly and easily without doing any harm to the gel coat. They contain oxalic acid (dilute for sure) - which is exactly what Barkeeper's Friend has in it.

However it might be a toss-up between the premium price for a brand name product like Barkeeper's Friend in small quantities and the premium price for anything to do with boats in larger quantities!

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Beachcomber 15 ft and 1977 Airstream Tradewind 25 ft
"Spray-nine" from Canadian Tire works well. Scrub with a brush and rinse off with water.
Kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I'm all for trying anything to get 'some' shine...I realize it's 23 years old...heck I don't shine as well as I used to 23 years ago either...can't expect my trailer to!
Probably another coat of the NuFinish would help... when you've cleaned so thoroughly (sort of a chemical peel), the gelcoat seems to absorb the wax. So, "just" put on another coat. (I realize it's a lot of work!)

BTW, I used NuFinish when my Casita was new. In more recent years, I've switched to Meguiar's; but, the brand isn't as important as the doing.

Good luck with it!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #12

Mary,

You're probably right...it's a lot of work and very disappointing when the shine just isn't what you had hoped it to be. Before putting 'her' in storage, I'm going to give that Poli-glow a try!

As far as mold, I'm still a big fan of the Awesome Spray cleaner I wrote about on another thread. Cleans everything from tree sap to tire marks....someone stated that it also removes wax and I'm sure it does - but rubbing compound does too and spray and wipe is so much easier!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Administrator

Registry
Rubbing compound not only removes wax, it also removes gelcoat... and gelcoat isn't very thick to begin with

You might enjoy reading this old (very old) topic on Waxes and polishes. Suz is (or was then) the "queen of shine" and her 1989 Casita was her willing victim. I wish I had the old pictures that she posted of her results!!

ON EDIT: No, wait! I found her old post, which includes a link to where she resubmitted the pics. See Old like New (almost) and Want the Shine.

Quote:
Just keep on working and don't give up. Don't think you have to do the whole thing at one time or you may never get started. Just go out there and just do a little at a time. That's what I've done, and that is what has worked the best for me.
RV Life Network FAQ
Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Administrator

Registry
Ha! I've inspired myself to go out and put some wax on my trailer! See y'all later!

RV Life Network FAQ
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Another 2-cents worth! We agree that bleach water, followed by a soapy wash and clear water rinse really takes off mold. Then we treated our Trillium to Poly Cleanse for any stubborn stains, rinse and follow with several coats of Poly Glow. Our 30 year trailer shines like new, and the beauty of it is that we do not have to do anything for a year...and then it is just another single coat of Poly Glow. Since it is a marine product, it really lasts! Why work hard when all you have to do is work smart? Vi & john
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Vi,

Personally I found that Poly Cleanse (Poly Wash) didn't take out the really embedded black moss and I SCRUBBED like a maniac with the included scotch pad and other pads I have around. It did a great job on the rest of the trailer though for bringing the gelcoat back to one color. I will be trying the spray nine this weekend to see if it works.

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #17

Anyone here use OxyClean on their trailers?? I use it to scrub our deck and to remove the mold in spots every spring, and it doesn't kill the plants I have planted nor the grass...I know Big Lots here sells an 'outdoor' Oxyclean too, but the regular works fine for me, my plants, and even in my wash!! Might be easier on the finish than a regular bleach solution.. Just another idea...