Moldy Caulking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #1

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Moldy Caulking?

My 2012 Casita has small black spots in all the exterior caulking (i.e. around the door frame) that I assume is mold. Is there any way to remove these spots? Thanks for all/any suggestions.
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hello. I have same issue around belly band with my Scamp. Yup it's mold and mildew. Concrobium from home 0epot will get rid of it! Mix it according to directions and spray on with pump sprayer. Leave on 4 hours or so out of direct sun then rinse. Does a great job and does not harm fiberglass or Gelcoat. The spots do come back eventually. In my case, i do this once or twice a season.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Time to take out the old caulk and put in new. Once mildew and mold gets going you can treat the surface but as it is has grown into the caulk it will likely come back to the surface again. If it has been there a while then a fresh start will work best. It is just an afternoon's job costing a few dollars versus it being a major repair.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 AM   #4

Name: Sherri
Trailer: 2012 Casita Spirit
St. Petersburg, FL
Registry
Didn't work for me...

I was excited to think that Concrobium would work, but it didn't for me. I guess the mold has been in there too long and the caulking will have to be replaced at some point. Thanks for the suggestion!
Sherritini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #5

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Indeed. I had to apply the Concrobium twice to get out most of it. If you go new caulk route, you might want to try the good bathroom type caulks that resist mold and mildew.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote