Motorized puller - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Coleman Pop-up
I really don't know how else to describe this, but I am sure that I have seen a device that you can hook to wheel on the tongue to help pull the trailer or maneuver it into tight spots when not hitched to the TV. Does such a thing exist or did i dream it up?

Thanks.
ChadR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Something to help you maneuver a trailer by itself is called a "Hitch Dolly". So I googled "Motorized Hitch Dolly" and found this:
E Z Tug

Is that what you are looking for?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I have used, out of necessity, a motorized, 120v device called a Powercaster (Google is helpful here). It works well, but it has limitations: If the slope you are trying to move it on is too steep the tongue wheel may spin on the pavement. This depends on tongue weight, rain on the pavement, etc.

If conditions are poor I either ask another person to stand on the tongue or I put a large container of water on it before I try to go up a hill. That helps.

If you have a really tricky situation, or if you simply want to astonish fellow campers by having your trailer follow you around and doing fancy maneuvering tricks, Google "Truma" for the European solution. These devices make the regular trailer wheels motorized temporarily and you control the trailer completely by remote control. A really slick, and really expensive way to move a trailer around.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Do you mean a trailer dolly? This kind uses a bio-chemical motor.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Coleman Pop-up
Yes in all 3 cases. That is what I was talking about. I had no idea how I was going to put that to print. Based on the prices, I will look at the one that takes the bio motor . It should work out fine for what I would need it to do.

ChadR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #6

Registry
I have the bio-motor version and works great even with the ancient bio-motor. In fact the female bio-motor has been able to manage it.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have 3 big cemented posts in my driveway to prevent snow from being pushed down my entrance steps.

They happen to be at the end of the driveway my trailer backs to. I was kind of wondering if I could use a come along there, or an electric winch to snug it into the corner instead of doing it with the car.

Don't know about stress on the frame by pulling on the rear bumper tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Do you mean a trailer dolly? This kind uses a bio-chemical motor.
Technically this kind uses a biomechanical motor system. Its uses natural feedstocks and beer as fuel.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I use a pusher and a puller bio-motor to get up my slightly sloped driveway.

Jack, at www.casitaforum.com built his own motorized version for those extreme DIY types.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Jack, at www.casitaforum.com built his own motorized version for those extreme DIY types.
Here's a direct link, but you have to be a member of CasitaForum to view it.
12 volt Power Dolly Build, 12 volt supplied by Casita battery

I had it bookmarked for when I get older and can not longer use the straight BioDolly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mine is space age tech. no motor at all!!! It's an Armstrong Model 59. Sorry they are no longer avail
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
They happen to be at the end of the driveway my trailer backs to. I was kind of wondering if I could use a come along there, or an electric winch to snug it into the corner instead of doing it with the car.

Don't know about stress on the frame by pulling on the rear bumper tho.
I wouldn't hesitate as long as you are just pulling against wheels rolling, not sideways. I wouldn't even sweat pulling it up steps with some 2x4s to help. Come-along might be better because you can feel when you are starting to pull too hard on stuf.

Thought I might have to do exactly that to get mine into low garage, except on the drum-hubs, not wheels. But I was able to get small enough wheels that I can push it, which it does quite easily on flat concrete floor.

Thinking about it, it might be easier to lever it into position with a long 2x4, kinda like the rail yard guys move a freight car with a long crowbar.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....being one of those 'rail yard guys', I can attest to the fact that I have NEVER had to resort to a hunk o 2X4 to assist me in moving a railcar (unassisted). I just get behind it and P U S H but knowing how/where to apply pressure REALLY helps.

Oh, did I mention I'm 6'3" and weigh in excess of 300lbs?? (MAYBE that has something to do with it)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #14

Gina is on the other end of the Hulk Scale!

So, Doug, will someone someday come here and ask us if you can be used as a tow vehicle? If you can move a rail car... I'd guess we'd have to class you as 2-cylinder because you have two lungs!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
we'd have to class you as 2-cylinder because you have two lungs!
I am a one banger then!!!!

I could push my 13 around. Of course, it would take me 2 weeks to recover....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Use your riding lawnmore. Lawnmower wont be carying any weight, it only push/pulls the trailer since its tounge wheel(s) will be down.

you might want to install a second wheeled trailer tounge jack.... or install a jack much more heavy duty than your trailer requires. This way it will be less prone to break as you jocky it around.

Go to your local welder and have him weld you up a frame on your riding lawn mower with say a female reciver tube on it. Then have the welder make you a push bar AKA a longer; (3feet), male reciver tube and mount a ball onto it.

Hook up the two together and push the trailer around to your hearts content.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Has anyone on the forum used the EZ Tug? Unfortunately, using the "biochemical" powered tow dolly is getting to be a real pain.... both figuratively and literally. Moving the trailer on the driveway is easy, but moving it into its little sideyard parking pad paved in turf blocks involves a sharp corner, a slight uphill entrance, and having to manage this while avoiding the garage overhang and the tree branches. This can be a challenge....

We found the EZ Tug on sale at garage-toys.com this month (Father's Day special...) for $100.00 off, plus a "mystery" per centage off when you submit your order. Looks like it would do the job, but we'd love to hear from anyone who has one before we order....

Thanks!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Look close at the spec's. I'm almost positive I looked into this one for my 17' Casita which I need to take over some grassy area and the manufacturer said it wouldn't be enough power.
Been awhile so check it out. Let us know if you get and your comments.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
The Powrtouch is about the slickest unit I have seen for moving trailers. It stays attached to the trailer and uses the trailer battery for power. I have also seen it demonstrated with a heavy duty 12v connection and extension cord to the tow vehicle also.

These units are quite easily moved from 1 trailer to the next.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote