Mouse problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita spirit 17
New Hampshire
Mouse problem

We got an unpleasant surprise when we opened our trailer after winter and found a dead mouse inside. I find it hard to believe something could get into a solid fiberglass shell, but there must be some kind of gaps that it could get through.
I wonder if anyone else has had this experience; does anyone have suggestions as to what it’s entryway could’ve been and how to put screening on it prevent further incident?
stu-ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
I have spent a lot of time in cabins and lodges in the woods and although not fiberglass, mice will find a way into anything. Nimble little buggers.
I suggest you close the door and see if there is any openings around the gasket, such as the bottom of the door. Another potential entrance and one I've had problems in the past with are holes drilled where the propane hose or tow vehicle electrical cords are passed through to the inside. Often these holes are large enough for a mouse to eek past the cables and in to your trailer. I would suggest some flexible caulking or butyl tape to seal these holes more.
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Read up on how little a hole a mouse can crawl through, its amazing. I often see reference to 1/4 inch sized hole being large enough for a mouse to get in. Look at a 1/4 inch drill bit sometime, its really small!

Think about all the possible entry points: electric cord (thats one reason I like a surface mount cord connection), any and all doors including access panel doors, plumbing connections, vents, the list goes on and on.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We use Fresh Cab rodent repellent in our Scamp and haven't had any storage issues in the past four years. We also remove all food, cleaners, bedding, curtains, cushions, etc from the camper over the winter and store them in the house. The idea, for me, is to leave nothing in the Scamp that would attract a mouse. We also tuck steel wool around the cord opening and anywhere else we think a mouse might sneak in. Our Scamp usually goes to storage in Late September/October and comes out in April. Somewhere mid winter we go over and change out the Fresh Cab and replace it with new stronger smelling stuff. We also check in on our Scamp at least once a month so we can stay on top of anything like mice, or leaks or dampness (we also keep a damp rid dehumidifier thing in the camper when not in use as well, and it needs a monthly recharge).
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
+1 for Fresh Cab.
jimn119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I found a mouse nest in one FGRV is used to own. There was a gap around the holes that the tubes going to the waste water tanks that a mouse could squeeze through. The mouse got on top of the tank and then up into the hole. The tanks made a good ingress and egress platform to crawl across.

To seal them up I stuffed pieces of stainless steel pot scrubbers in the gaps and then squirted in a small amount of expanding spray foam to glue it in place. Do not use regular steel wool for this job, get the stainless steel pot scrubbers. Easy to find in the detergent aisle at grocery stores and hardware stores also carry them. It only takes a very small squirt of foam for the small gap, remember it expands in volume over time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote