My Trillium is odd - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2022, 05:19 PM   #1

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Trillium
Quebec
Registry
My Trillium is odd

Hi, me again.
In the back gaucho or dinette on the floor there are metal pieces instead of Fiberglass.
On left side it is just flat sheet metal measuring 8x 16 inches
On right side, it an actual hump which when I look at the underbelly of the trailer it is hollow.
Wondering if anyone would know why?
And as well I have attached pics of the mud flaps and all the extra bolts they used which attaches to absolutely nothing I think, but maybe I am wrong?
Hard to know what is normal!
Attached Thumbnails
69BB8B6C-F6BA-4EE9-8DF7-92571E31F2F3.jpeg   53FED009-0F3F-4866-9C35-DE0F4F8317EB.jpeg  

3AD77DF5-6298-4465-9FAB-F06A1C8754B1.jpeg   4FD1D6B5-D6D5-4EE2-AFB0-5751F11735E9.jpeg  

RamonaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Very odd.

I can't tell you why this was done. But I will tell you why you need to fix this. The second picture is what concerns me. There are several places where someone has drilled through the frame. Fortunately, This is on the back of the trailer, where the load is not so high. But each of those holes are weak points and could lead to cracks in the frame. The ones that are from one side of the frame to the other are especially confusing. Is there something bolted to the inside of that frame rail, or is is just a bolt?

Since you don't have a use for the tin, or the extra bolts, I would remove the body from the frame, remove the tin, close up the holes in the fibreglass, (this is a good thread on the subject: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html) then take the frame to a trailer shop and have them remove any remaining, unnecessary bolts and weld the holes closed. Basically a rebuild.

Mud flaps are not a bad idea, but extra holes are a bad idea. I would just remove the extra bolts and glass the holes closed.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #3

Quebec
Registry
Frame first

Hi David! I was hoping you would respond!
I have an appt at a reputable RV place known to help people with frame problems, second week of April….would like to get frame checked out, then patch up fiberglass after. Not sure if I am able to take it off the frame-not necessarily have the skills (or the guts for it), although I have watch videos…
Old 03-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #4

Quebec
Registry
Frame first

Hi David! I was hoping you would respond!
I have an appt at a reputable RV place known to help people with frame problems, second week of April….would like to get frame checked out, then patch up fiberglass after. Not sure if I am able to take it off the frame-not necessarily have the skills (or the guts for it), although I have watch videos…
However 8 am ready to tackle fiberglass repair, not daunting and have already looked at that thread, thanks again!

Tags
trillium