Naugahyde walls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Trillium
Florida
Registry
Naugahyde walls

I had a 77 Trillium with marshmallow Naugahyde interior walls. I painted it which sucked in about 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint. It served the purpose for 10 years. I sold it last year and miss it so have considered purchasing an older Scamp. Unfortunately it has the same walls. Has anybody ever replaced the Naugahyde walls in a 75 Scamp? Should I try to do it myself? How do you go about it?
Thank you.
Looking forward to a new decade of traveling light.
SuCo
SuCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe the product is more commonly referred to as Ensolite, which is actually the trade name for the closed cell foam bonded to the textured vinyl. It's a good product, very durable, and there's not much better out there. Replacing all of it is a huge project. I would do everything I could to save it.

As an alternative to paint, I might consider using a carpet-like marine headliner over the Ensolite, similar to what Scamp uses in their new builds. It depends on whether you prefer a smooth, washable surface, or something with a softer feel (but still very durable).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I believe the product is more commonly referred to as Ensolite, which is actually the trade name for the closed cell foam under the textured vinyl. It's a good product, very durable, and there's not much better out there. Replacing all of it is a huge project. I would do everything I could to save it.

As an alternative to paint, I would consider using a carpet-like marine headliner over the Ensolite, similar to what Scamp uses in their new builds. It depends on whether you prefer a smooth, washable surface, or something with a softer feel (but still very durable).
Hi Jon. Thanks so much for your response. The issue I had with those walls in the Trillium was the seams. I tried a number of things to fill in or cover those seams when finally I glued on bendable strapping and it wasn’t pretty. The Scamp seams are not as wide and unsightly so hopefully I can find a remedy for them instead of ripping out the ensolite. Thanks again .
Old 03-18-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
A lot of folks fill the seams with paintable latex caulk and dab them with a damp crumpled rag to approximate the texture of the vinyl. Once painted they become nearly invisible.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Sounds good. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

Florida
Registry
Is $7500 too much to pay for a 1975 13’ Scamp?
Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
In the current market, maybe, but you absolutely have to do a very careful inspection. At that price it should have a solid floor (!!), structurally sound frame, intact and operable windows, working electrical system, and a clean, largely unmolested (or tastefully updated) interior. Beware “lipstick on a pig”: older and neglected units with cosmetic renovations hiding rotten floors and other serious problems.

Even then you can expect to put additional money and time into new tires, resealing windows, and other routine maintenance items. Keep back a portion of your budget for such things.

Torsion axles don’t last forever. If the axle is original, it’s probably past due for a new one. Figure around $800 for a new axle with brakes, installed.