need front jacks for 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
need front jacks for 13' Scamp?

Had our maiden voyage in our brand new "size matters" camper last week, was everything and more than we expected. I purchased jacks for front but am now wondering if they were needed, do you think just the front tongue support is enough?
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I put a jack under each corner of my uhaul if I am camping for a few days to make it completely stable.

I think it is a good idea.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I agree with Brooke, we have the telescoping fold-up ones on the rear, and I shortened a pair of the screw type for the front. I welded on a V shaped saddle on the screw ones to set against the Uhaul round frame. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Had our maiden voyage in our brand new "size matters" camper last week, was everything and more than we expected. I purchased jacks for front but am now wondering if they were needed, do you think just the front tongue support is enough?
Do you have a swing down front jack in front with the kickstand stabilizers in back?
The short answer is that the stock system is adequate for safe operation without causing harm to the trailer.
I removed the kickstands and installed a BAL stabilizer system in the back with it's own crossmember.It is also placed further forward. I also replaced the swing down tongue jack with the vertical one now used on all new Scamp 13s. This combo feels as stable as a house foundation.
If you have too much wobble for comfort... Simply adding an extra pair of kickstand stabilizers at the rear edge of the tongue would do a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
tongue jack 178.jpg   DSCF0004.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
I agree with Brooke and Bob. The jack on your tongue is enough for leveling your camper from front/back, but stabilizers of some sort are nice on the corners to help keep the camper from rocking when you're inside.

I use the Atwood stabilizers on each corner, but others use jacks on each corner to act as stabilizers (but be careful to not jack the trailer up with the corner jacks, that happens on the tongue where the frame is designed for it).
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
@ Floyd - the rear BAL stabilizer bar is enough to keep the whole camper solid? That's pretty cool. I use the BAL tire jack (or whatever it's called) and like it alot - but only the single stabilizers on all 4 corners - and definently need them upfront.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have always used what comes with the Scamp and nothing more other than a "lego" pad or two. I also use a BAL wheel leveler under one wheel. Stable enough. I don't need it to be like concrete foundation under it.

I also think that when you put a jack under each corner there's a tendency to jack the trailer up using them and risk twisting the frame. The trick is to keep most of the weight supported by the wheels and axle. The stabilization is just snug enough to keep the trailer from bouncing. Therefore the tongue jack is plenty.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Different strokes for different folks. If you find any bouncing and have something to stabilize the frame, use them if you wish. Some will, some won't. But this was YOUR question and I believe you should use them if you prefer. What works... as perfectly exceptable for one, doesn't necessarily work for all.

Make memories, go camping
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I have always used what comes with the Scamp and nothing more other than a "lego" pad or two. I also use a BAL wheel leveler under one wheel. Stable enough. I don't need it to be like concrete foundation under it.

I also think that when you put a jack under each corner there's a tendency to jack the trailer up using them and risk twisting the frame. The trick is to keep most of the weight supported by the wheels and axle. The stabilization is just snug enough to keep the trailer from bouncing. Therefore the tongue jack is plenty.
I may not have ever changed my original kickstand stabilizers except that one of them fell apart on the highway. I found it inconvenient to deploy the kickstands without laying on the ground, so when I found the system pictured above, I decided that the crank handle fit my needs much better.
Also, when Scamp started using that vertical tongue jack which was short enough, I really liked the idea and the fact that it could be modified to accept the same crank and Battery drill as the the rear stabilizers.
The Bal Stabilizers which I used provide an extra crossmember on the frame as well, and are placed well enough that I could change a tire if I chose. As for tendencies... well that's conjecture.
I do think that the stock offering is adequate though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I have to agree with Floyd, I put the Bal Stabilizers on my last 13' Deluxe and never looked back. They are very sturdy and very easy to deploy. And yes you can jack the wheel off the ground in an emergency when needed. I think they are a great mod.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp