Need help evaluating the first trailer I've looked at - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #1

Name: A
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Need help evaluating the first trailer I've looked at

Now that I have a hitch and brake controller, and a lead on a solid parking spot (hopefully secured in the next few days!), I took a look at my 1st trailer. It's this post https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...E2%80%99-14000

So my first thought, generally solid, but needs a few small tweaks and possibly a larger bit of work. If ya'll wouldn't mind taking a look at some of the pictures, I think one of the big things would be to get the frame stripped and re-painted. The bottom part specifically, although there's a touch of rust elsewhere. I can call around for a WAG, but I'm guessing budget 2K minimum.

* There's 110v in for a couple of light fixtures, rest are 12v, but there's no battery charger hanging off the 110v. Which by and large is fine, because it'd probably be a lead-acid charger, and I plan on a LiFePO4
* There' a modest number of spider cracks outside and in, mostly the gel cracking I think, although in a few spots there are some scratches that go down into the fiberglass I think. Or at least deeper into the white exterior coat
* Frame seems pretty good, although does show some spots and areas of rust, doesn't seem too major. This could be the big thing, getting the frame blasted off and repainted
* Interior is clean, although not a ton of storage for clothes/etc. There is one spot in the rear bottom left window where he said in heavy rain there's a few drops of rain that comes in. I figure that means the inside/outside of the window needs to be pulled off and re-caulked. Not sure how big a job it is. And one of the ceiling carpet strips needs to be pulled off and re-glued back on (or replaced with my own), doesn't seem too terrible a job.

* Does have a modest sized clear water tank (I'll want to clean/sterilize it I imagine first), with a hand/vacuum manual faucet, might want to look into trying to find a small 12v pump
* Seems like plenty of room to upgrade to a more or less square small 12v compressor fridge, the wood framing leaves a good 1+ inch on all sides, probably closer to 2+ inches on all sides. Plus the hole in the bottom for the drain tube could probably be re-purposed to bring up 12v from the front storage box if I move the battery up there, and add a solar charging for ground mount solar.
* Room to put in some storage for pots/pans/etc under the sink I'd think. Don't need much, something to boil water, make some quesadillas, the basics.

* Both stove burners start right up after the line purges from the air. The current owner basically never have used the inside burners, they preferred to cook outside on separate propane stove always.

For $14K... I'm on the edge. Other than the non-trivial cost to get the frame cleaned up, it's stuff I can put off (the ice box -> fridge, 12v hookup from the TV wiring, 110 -> 12v charging) and still get some use out of the trailer. If the frame paint was in better condition, even though it's the first one I've looked at, I might have said I'll take it on the spot. He's willing to work with me for a week or two to leave it there while I work on securing more permanent parking, seems like he likes me and wants to sell to someone who will put some love and use into it.

Here's all the photos I took https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...D1?usp=sharing
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Do not rush in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt321 View Post
Now that I have a hitch and brake controller, and a lead on a solid parking spot (hopefully secured in the next few days!), I took a look at my 1st trailer. It's this post https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...E2%80%99-14000
It's 40 years old, needs tires and is priced $10K over what it sold for new. Maybe that is the current California price, but a little high for here in the mid west.
(TNX for a nice set of pictures)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It appears to be sitting on a newer or modified frame with an extended tongue and raised axle. I’d want to clarify that. When and how was to done?

“A little moisture” concerns me, because leaks are almost always worse than expected, and applying a little sealant is not the fix. Leaks can come from the seal between the window frame and the shell as well as dried up internal seals between the glass and frame.

Burro has a structural wood subfloor. You should be able to see it inside perimeter cabinets and benches. Look and feel for any staining or softness, especially under windows. Look underneath as well.

I hate the idea of cutting large holes for a 3-way fridge. A 12V makes more sense, but you’ll have to invest in a solar set-up to keep it going when not camping with power. It’s also a really tiny space, so it might be even better to keep the ice box for dry storage and use a portable chest-type cooler or fridge for cold storage. That’s what we do.

Spider cracks are to be expected. There are various ways to handle them, depending on your cosmetic standards. I just keep a good coat of wax on to prevent moisture from getting into the fissures.

Price is high, even by LA standards.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

California
Yes, the frame is a newer frame, pretty sure it's not modified. Looks like it might be a frame meant for a larger trailer, that's why the extra room front/back. I'm pretty sure it was done by the previous owner, this one bought it 7 years ago, so it'd be 8+ years or so. Current one bought it 1-2 years after the last one, who was up in the desert, had bought it so I presume approximately then the frame was changed out. For strip/repaint, or even strip off the rust areas & repaint, how much do you think that would cost? Or would you think jacking it up, pulling off the spare & front tongue stuff and then hitting it with an angle grinder and wire brush, then some rustoleum rust converter & then paint should work without having to pull the shell off? A good days worth of work, but if I start early I expect it wouldn't be too bad.

Hm. So I didn't see anything particular back in that corner, but didn't specifically look. Looking at the underside, it kinda looks like it's fiberglass along the bottom in my pictures, is it actually something else? Your concern makes me a bit more concerned that that could end up being more involve than I thought.

For the fridge, if you look at https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...658/fridge.jpg you'll see the wood framing around it, the actual fiberglass hole is a good 1+ inch or more around each side, so should be quite a bit of room. And yeah, would have to cut a vent/etc for a 3-way, which is why I'm looking towards a 12v. I do currently have a decent enough sized 12v compressor "cooler", which definitely will work fine for a while, but I'd like to have it integrated, instead of having the cooler sitting somewhere taking up space.

I'm definitely seeing limited storage space for clothes/etc, but that's probably endemic to the 13' fiberglass trailers I imagine. I can see myself doing up a custom under-table rolling shelf to store clothes. I figure I'll just leave that as a bed full-time, probably also add an extra custom cut memory foam 3-4" to help make it comfier.

From the cracks I showed, especially exterior, you don't see anything particularly worrying over them, just normal and regular application of a wax coat should work well? And by a wax coat, are you saying the entire surface, or just the area around the spider cracks?

As for the 14K asking price, yeah, it's giving me pause. However, you never see a frame like that with the extra storage, jacks welded on the rear corners already. Also given it's an older model, they don't always have trailer brakes and this one does. I also figure the frame is easy to add a 2" receiver for a bike carrier, and the front storage is easier to add some extra weight (water, canned goods, what not) to balance it out.

I'm not going to jump on it right away, I'm going to keep searching, and I'm looking outside my immediate area up to 400-500 miles away. Long drive, but finding a good trailer would be worth it.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Already commented on this one on another thread. I'd rather buy that $4,500 Trek project than this one for $9,500 more. Or if you don't want a project, and with a $14,000 budget, I'd get a ten year old or newer Scamp 13 with a bathroom. They are out there.

Whenever a seller states "easy fix" my radar goes off. If it was so easy to fix, why didn't you fix it.....

Step 1: Decide what features are most important. For instance, AC and bathroom are two deal breakers on most of the older molded FG trailers. Retrofitting AC in older units tends to be a "can-o-worms" IMO. And most of the vintage trailers will not support roof air. The roofs are on the flimsy side.

Step 2: Come up with target brand and model that best meet your requirements. These trailers are not interchangeable. Each brand has its unique issues and challenges.

Step 3: Research sold prices. Although fiberglass RV 4 sale site does not list sold prices, I think its safe to assume most of the sold trailers on there sold for close to if not asking price. Fiberglass RV 4 sale has the best database of sold molded trailers IMHO.

Many vintage trailers get a vintage "premium". Bolers and Trilliums tend to bring more money as people want them.

Few if any trailer owners bother to weigh their trailers. So unless the seller has a certified weigh ticket, be skeptical! The guy selling me my Trillium bragged that it only weighed 800 pounds. I knew better, didn't argue with him. First time I took it across a certified scale it weighed in at 1,540 pounds, about what I expected. This was without a furnace, propane tank, water, or much gear inside.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
I wax the whole thing. That’s what protects the gelcoat from further UV deterioration. I’m extra generous with the wax on the spider cracks.

As to fridge size, I just meant anything that fits under the counter is generally less than 2cf, barely adequate for 1-2 people. Depends a lot on the kinds of food you like to eat in camp.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #7

California
True, about fridge size. It'll tend to be 1-2 people for 2-3 days, or 1-2 people for 10+ days, which I'd have more dry goods, but still would want to bring some fresh (cheese, stuff like that). You make a point about the fridge size. At that size, I might as well yank it out and convert it to a cabinet.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
I left the icebox in place for dry foods, like crackers, tortillas, bread, pasta... That's the kind of stuff critters like to get into, and the icebox is better sealed than an open cabinet. I had to plug the drain tube after ants got in that way once.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
That’s one sweet looking Burro. It looks nice in the photos. I’m surprised it’s still available.
Fyi a 2009 13’ scamp was just posted on the IE CL, out in Hemit for around 18k, that one looks amazing too. Big money but that’s what they’re going for. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...394702033.html

The Burro does look to have a nice frame which is huge.
Mike in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote