New addition to the tool kit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
New addition to the tool kit

Over-the-road repairs are sometimes inevitable, especially for those of us with older trailers, or who travel great distances (or both, as is my case).

I've always carried a variety of adhesives, tapes, and threadlocker but one thing I've always wanted was an easy way to mix and dispense two-part epoxy. Lets face it, there are just some repairs that epoxy is best suited for.

Well, a few weeks ago I was wandering through "Wally World" and stumbled on this Loctite "Instant Mix" Epoxy. They had the 1-minute version in the store, but Loctite also makes a 5-minute version.

Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix 1 Minute Directions from Loctite Adhesives

Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix 5 Minute from Loctite Adhesives

The syringe includes a special tip that mixes the 2-parts as you squeeze it out. I thought that was neat, in theory, but I wasn't convinced the parts would mix sufficiently to actually start the catalytic process.

Well, today I got to try it as I needed to squeeze some epoxy into a hole. This would be impossible with a 2-part product that you had to mix after squeezing it out of the syringe so this seemed like the ideal application. Worked like a charm and was absolutely hard in a little over a minute. I will still let it cure overnight per the instructions, but so far I'm impressed enough to make it a regular addition to my over-the-road tool kit.
Attached Thumbnails
epxy_5min.png  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Had something similar. Make sure you don't get hardener in the resin part of the cap cause that's the last time you'll get it off.
I also found with the product that I bought, that the resin and hardener didn't always come out in the right proportions.
I went back to two separate tubes. I use the bottom of a beer can as my mixing bowl and a nail as a stir stick. It's really not that hard, and a lot cheaper.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Alaska
Registry
Glenn, you may be confusing this with regular two-part epoxy that comes in conjoined syringes that you push out then mix before using like this stuff;

Loctite Epoxy Quick Set from Loctite Adhesives

This "instant mix" stuff mixes inside the specially designed "nozzle" and emerges premixed. As long as you follow the instructions, the parts come out in the proper 1:1 ratio. The nozzle is trash afterwards. The portion is half the size of the traditional epoxy like I referenced above since it's only made to be a single or two-use syringe (it comes with two non-reusable mixing nozzles/tips).

Since it mixes inside the nozzle, you can inject it straight into a hole or tight space. You cannot do that with 2-part epoxy that has to be mixed externally, which was my main attraction to this stuff in the first place.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That long tube with internal baffles mixes the resin nicely, but whatever is left inside of it is wasted. It is great on production jobs, but I do not think it is good for small jobs.

Glenn's inverted beer can bottom is a handy mixing dish, but how do you keep it from spilling - the beer, that is? I use any kind of paper/cardboard scrap and a nail.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Now I get the concept.
As for beer cans, the operative word is "empty". And you can still get your deposit back.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
WaterWeld Epoxy Putty is another handy item to have in your tool kit - just cut off how much you need and knead with fingers unit its one colour. Long shelf life.

I used it to fill a couple of small holes in the roof of my trailer about six years ago when I removed an old antenna. Worked well and can hardly notice it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:40 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good post Mike, I hadn't thought of adding that in my parts kit. That system has been around for a long time in the construction industry. Glad to see it in a small use tube. Cost is relative, if you're broke down in the middle of nowhere and that's your fix.....a $100 a tube would seem real cheap
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
WaterWeld Epoxy Putty is another handy item to have in your tool kit - just cut off how much you need and knead with fingers unit its one colour. Long shelf life.

I used it to fill a couple of small holes in the roof of my trailer about six years ago when I removed an old antenna. Worked well and can hardly notice it.
Carol, that's what I used to plug the holes when I removed the TV antenna from our Scamp. Worked very well.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 AM   #9

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Cost is relative, if you're broke down in the middle of nowhere and that's your fix.....a $100 a tube would seem real cheap
That's my view on these things. If I have the right tools/supplies to get back on the road, I'm not too concerned with cost (or the waste of unused epoxy in this case). I drive through some of the most remote places you can imagine. A $4 tube of epoxy is a fart in the wind if it can get you out of a jam.

Carol, I also keep a tube of that epoxy putty in the kit. I agree, it's very useful for certain applications and as tough as nails.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Adding eyelets

I have tried adding eyelets to the hole in my gravel shield to prevent the working that the pin does in the plain fg hole.
I tried epoxy and it didn't hold. What works the best is Gorilla Glue.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Stuff like epoxy, if I don't have an immediate use for I don't like to carry it. Most stuff like that I can purchase while on the road. Adhesives have a shelf life, I would rather buy fresh than depend on something could sit in the trailer for years before using.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Stuff like epoxy, if I don't have an immediate use for I don't like to carry it. Most stuff like that I can purchase while on the road. Adhesives have a shelf life, I would rather buy fresh than depend on something could sit in the trailer for years before using.
All true, they do have a shelf life, I tend to replace with fresh every couple years. You can purchase many things while traveling, but when the nearest crossroad is 100 miles away..........
Many times some "iffy" thing I've had with me has helped me or someone else out of a jam. This type of item is probably more important to folks that travel long deserted stretches.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I always carry Epoxy Plastic Putty in my tool kit, I have found dozens of uses for it. The great thing about it is the color, it is off white and almost matches the fiberglass so if you have a hole that needs fixing it blends in nicely.
PlasticWeld Epoxy Putty | J-B Weld
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #14

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
This is such a timely post for me for two reasons: One, I'm putting together our "tool kit" this week and Two, we will be removing a tv antenna from the roof of the Scamp that we just purchased! Thanks for such great information!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote