New battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Looks like I may be needing a new battery. I did a search on this site for info and found this very informative site on batteries: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm. Check it out!

Also, if anyone has recently purchased a battery from a large store that would fit a Casita like mine, let me know. I don't have time to order as I'm leaving in a couple days. Looks like best for me would be a deep cycle L-16. I can deal with adding distilled water and don't have a lot of bucks this month. But I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Looks like I may be needing a new battery. I did a search on this site for info and found this very informative site on batteries: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm. Check it out!

Also, if anyone has recently purchased a battery from a large store that would fit a Casita like mine, let me know. I don't have time to order as I'm leaving in a couple days. Looks like best for me would be a deep cycle L-16. I can deal with adding distilled water and don't have a lot of bucks this month. But I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks!
Lisa, the L-16 is only a 6 volt battery so are you planning on purchasing two of them? Casitas take a 12V battery. Generally speaking, a type 27 will fit in a 17' Casita and give you everything you need. You could buy one at Wal Mart or most places can have one delivered from Interstate the same day. Just make sure you buy a "deep cycle" battery because an ordinary car battery will not last long.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Everstart 27-DC6 Marine at Wally's. (My last one was about $75, as I recall.)
Plan to replace every three or four years. (Don't let that "6" in the part number throw you, it's a 12v battery.)

My son swears by AutoZone batteries. The good thing about either retailer is that you can replace them at any of their stores across the country if you should have a warranty problem while traveling. (Free test and install too.)
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Hi Lisa That is a good website - nice, straight forward information. I'm printing out the voltage table to keep in the trailer for future reference!

ETA: Costco is also a good place for batteries - they have a full replacement for the first part and pro-rated value over the remainder of the warranty period, and they are all over North America
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab

Thank you for teh info. I knew I needed a 12-volt, didn't realize whatever the L-16 from my reading was a 6-volt. NIce to have the forum! Also found some information on the Casita Forum. Seems like WalMart would be a good spot to purchase (or maybe Sears) since they are all over. I'm going to see how it holds the charge overnight, then do some comparison shopping tomorrow, if need be. We do have an Auto Zone in town, I'll check that too.

Quote:
Lisa, the L-16 is only a 6 volt battery so are you planning on purchasing two of them? Casitas take a 12V battery. Generally speaking, a type 27 will fit in a 17' Casita and give you everything you need. You could buy one at Wal Mart or most places can have one delivered from Interstate the same day. Just make sure you buy a "deep cycle" battery because an ordinary car battery will not last long.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi Lisa,
You might consider a a battery like I installed on my Trillium 1300.
I was looking at putting on two Trojan t-105 deep cycle batteries
but decided they were too heavy. I ended up with one of these:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS22512V.aspx

I have only had it for a year. It has given me good service so far.
It is a good compromise, not too big and heavy but still with a good capacity.
Regards, Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Looks like I may be needing a new battery. I did a search on this site for info and found this very informative site on batteries: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1). Check it out!
Lisa, thank you for a great link.

We recently bought a new battery at ... Costco. Good price and it works for us. It is the size that fits the box of our old battery. You should go to a store near you and do some measurements. The battery is sold where you get tires, so you won't have to wander around inside or stand on a long line.

Good luck!
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, battery, electrical