New Boler owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

Name: C
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
New Boler owner

Hi everyone. I need HELP and lots of it. Just bought a boler, 13'. Not sure on the year or anything yet, long story... Anyways I want opinions on a few things as this is the first time I will be doing this sort of thing. The frame has been completely re-welded and reinforced, and the inside has had a few renovations but it still needs a lot of work. The floor is fiberglass, and the previous owner put vinyl tiles on it. I want to put new tiles but I see a lot of people have put down a plywood subfloor first. Is this necessary or can I put vinyl straight onto the fiberglass (with prep work of course)? As well, any suggestions for a fridge? electric only? or is it worth having a 3 way fridge? I will have electricity hookup about 2/3 of the time I use it. Is it worth the hassle to deal with propane? The stove top has been removed but honestly don't see myself ever using it, maybe just an outdoor bbq/stovetop. I will be removing the furnace as I also never see myself using this, and can use a portable electric heater if I ever needed. I will post pictures as I go along but could really use some advice!! Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
boler 004.jpg  
CS86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #2

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Howdy! No matter on your floor, you should have a subfloor. Older Bolers had their entire floor glassed in with wood in it, but by later 70s they were casting the floor as past of the entire bottom half of the shell. Especially if it is just the wall-thickness FG, you will want ply subfloor or you'll go thru the floor.

Lots of fridge options out there. More people getting the AC/DC ones now, but you'd want to patch up your vent holes.

Nice to have a cooktop inside for rainy/buggy days.

Catalytic heaters are really nice as a cleaner/quiet alternative to the furnace.

Several of us are actively doing full renovations, so check the first couple pages of the Boler forum. Look up Robert Johans for truly masterful renovations with lots of ideas. His latest completed rig is here.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, lots of amazing help is to be had here!

Cheers,
Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks slav.

I don't know what my floor is, it looks like fiberglass but must be thicker or reinforced as no one has gone thru it yet, and doesn't feel weak when you walk on it. I'll try to figure out what it is.

I have been looking at all the reno's (including yours) and they are great, but I don't have the time or money to do a complete strip-down reno.

Keep the advice coming!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS86 View Post
Thanks slav.

I don't know what my floor is, it looks like fiberglass but must be thicker or reinforced as no one has gone thru it yet, and doesn't feel weak when you walk on it. I'll try to figure out what it is.

I have been looking at all the reno's (including yours) and they are great, but I don't have the time or money to do a complete strip-down reno.

Keep the advice coming!
Have a look underneath. Is the surface smooth FG that looks just like outside of the body? If so, you should have just FG for the floor...and there must be a ply subfloor under the tiles. If the underneath is not smooth, you should be able to see where slats of wood have been glassed in. This floor would be stronger as I believe actual ply is glassed in - but if it is old, it may be rotten and you may need to redo the floor.

Also, if you have the older style, the bottom lip/edge of the body will be just the thickness of the FG body. If it's newer, it will be about 1 inch wide as it curves underneath and then up again on the underside to form the floor. That should give you the indication of the one-piece body and floor.

If your entire rig is anchored to the frame only thru the FG (no ply), you risk having it rip off the frame while in transit...

Hope this helps.

Slav
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Dustin: I moved your post

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ere-59604.html
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #6

British Columbia
Thumbs up

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

British Columbia
Question

Anyone have any idea on the year from looking at my picture? The person I bought it from lost his registration papers (I know I'm going to have trouble registering it in my name, I'll cross that bridge later). There is no # on the cupboard doors, there are no plaques on the interior or exterior. There is a # on the trailer frame, its 9 digits I belive... Does that sound like a vin?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
Have a look underneath. Is the surface smooth FG that looks just like outside of the body? If so, you should have just FG for the floor...and there must be a ply subfloor under the tiles. If the underneath is not smooth, you should be able to see where slats of wood have been glassed in. This floor would be stronger as I believe actual ply is glassed in - but if it is old, it may be rotten and you may need to redo the floor.

Also, if you have the older style, the bottom lip/edge of the body will be just the thickness of the FG body. If it's newer, it will be about 1 inch wide as it curves underneath and then up again on the underside to form the floor. That should give you the indication of the one-piece body and floor.

If your entire rig is anchored to the frame only thru the FG (no ply), you risk having it rip off the frame while in transit...

Hope this helps.

Slav
The underneath is rough FG and has horizontal strips that look like wood running every foot or so, and that's where the frame is attached. I tried to take a pic, let me know what you think. Also, does this mean its an early 70's?
Attached Thumbnails
Fernie-20130711-01006.jpg   Fernie-20130711-01008.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

Washington
This looks like earlier 70s. What does the edge look like where the body ends as it goes toward the ground? There were variations on these from all the different factories so not sure you will be able to figure out the year exactly.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's the frenched tail lights that will help determine the age... I THINK those were only done for a couple of years... like 1972 & 1973. Someone much more knowledgable about Bolers than I, will need to confirm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #11

British Columbia
The body is seperate from the bottom. The body hangs down about 4" past where it meets the bottom. Do you still think I should put a subfloor?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

British Columbia
Thanks donna (and slav). I'm ripping things apart right now and seeing what needs to be done. I need to learn how to fix fiberglass where someone cut a chunk out of the closet. I will meet with an RV electrician on monday to discuss rewiring the interior as its a bit of a mess and electircal is not something I want to learn/attempt. The front dinette is in pretty good shape and doesn't need much. The cusions in the front were reupholstered and decent enough that they aren't a priority. I have a long haul ahead of me! Anyone want to travel to BC to help? you can park your trailer here!!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
The body is seperate from the bottom. The body hangs down about 4" past where it meets the bottom. Do you still think I should put a subfloor?
Have a quick look at this drawing below of the cross section of body and floor. The left shows you the older design where the sides are independent of the floor. You see the overhang of the sidewall at the bottom as simply a FG panel. This is going to be the floor that should have wood glassed in.

The right side shows you the newer design where you have the wall FG continue over and then back up to form the floor as a single piece. This will have no wood imbedded in it, just FG. You definitely need a subfloor here.

As for the older design, pull up the tiles you want to replace and see what it looks like. If the wood is rotten underneath from moisture, you have some work to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	61779
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #14

British Columbia
Definitely the one on the left. The paperwork says 1975... ? I think either way I will lay a subfloor. How thick? 3/8 good one side plywood?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Definitely the one on the left. The paperwork says 1975... ? I think either way I will lay a subfloor. How thick? 3/8 good one side plywood?
Great. Make sure you inspect it real well. I've seen many people needing to replace parts of the floor because of rotten wood and having to add FG in places to make sure the floor is good and solid where it attaches the the rest of the body.

If there is a good bit of wood in the floor, you should be fine with 1/2" ply, 3/8" may be just a tad thin. But again, see what is there now. Ours has only FG for the floor so we had more members put into the frame for one and I'm using 3/4" ply for the floor.

Depending on how tall you are, and if you want to be able to fully stand in part of your Boler, you will want to consider the thickness of the ply along with your final floor choice.

Cheers,
Slav
Old 07-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #16

British Columbia
The floor under the vinyl tiles is fiberglass, with wood slats under that, covered again by more FG. It is all in excellent shape. Currently trying to peel up these hideous 4x4 vinyl tiles, then will measure and cut a sub-floor out of ply. I'm not too worried about the height, im 5'8... and thinking about the 3' vinyl strips that look like wood for my final flooring... The electrical needs work, and the interior needs to be replaced, still things I need to deal with. The cabinet above the sink is gone, will talk to my friend who owns a body shop about maybe casting a new one out of FG.... Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #17

Washington
Quote:
The floor under the vinyl tiles is fiberglass, with wood slats under that, covered again by more FG. It is all in excellent shape. Currently trying to peel up these hideous 4x4 vinyl tiles, then will measure and cut a sub-floor out of ply. I'm not too worried about the height, im 5'8... and thinking about the 3' vinyl strips that look like wood for my final flooring... The electrical needs work, and the interior needs to be replaced, still things I need to deal with. The cabinet above the sink is gone, will talk to my friend who owns a body shop about maybe casting a new one out of FG.... Thanks for all the advice!
Great, sounds like you're on a roll. Best of luck on the project!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #18

British Columbia
What are these for? They are moulded right into the FG, there's one in the front and one in the back. Are they for a shelf?
Attached Thumbnails
Fernie-20130712-01019.jpg   Fernie-20130712-01020.jpg  

Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The one in the front is for the gaucho. Which means the backrest flips up to make a bunkbed (with limited weight limits!) I haven't a clue what the rear one is for...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #20

British Columbia
I have a front dinette though, no couch nor bunkbeds....

Tags
boler