New modifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler ('Le Porto II') / 2006 Pontiac Torrent
Helle everyone

I need your opinion on a modification i want to make. I already modified the front bench of my Boler and converted it to a dinette. I want to raise the back bed so the top of the matress is the same as the counter. Under it, i could put anything from toilet, cooler, tent, chairs, etc. Has anyone ever done that? And do you have any comment (positive or negative) about this modification?

TY
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
A minor note, but you might have to be careful about poking feet or bedding into the window screens and breaking them (of course you could get around this with protective slats, or the like).

I guess you'd need a little stool for getting in and out of bed, but again, no biggie as long as you don't mind it. If you have the overhead storage bins... would they be potential head bonkers, or keep you from sitting up?

One more consideration is tht you'd probably want to somehow modify the original benches, because otherwise the storage in them would be pretty hard to get to (under the new storage that would be between the bunk board and the tops of the (former) benches.

If it were me I would do a "live" mockup by building some temporary "boxes" out of scrap to support a temporary bunk - but I'd make it strong enough to actually get up there and try it out for a night. Drink enough before bed that you can try getting up at 3 a.m. in the dark

I find that when I make mock-ups like this I either find out that I don't like the new arrangement; or, if I do like it, I still find little things I'll want to change for the final iteration.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I was thinking about the added weight behind the axle while under tow. That may cause a lighter tongue weight and induce sway. While towing, if you pulled everything from under the bed and kept it over the axle, or forward you may be okay. Too, heat rises and you may have a comfy bed in the cooler weather, but hot and stuffy during the summer. Unless you run A/C?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Unless you have a REAL Good need to do this mod, I'd stay away from it for many reasons!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
We added a permanant rear bed and a front dinette last year. I made a pannel that fits on top of the seats. It's made in three sections connected with piano hinge so that it could be removed and return the trailer to original. We keep two large totes [his and hers] under it since access to the storage areas has been taken away. They are concealed by a valance normally. I added outside access hatches and one side carriees jacks, cords, tools etc. while the other side carries camp stove and other outside essentials. This was a simple modification that can easily be reversed.
If you carry your porta-pot there you will be continually lifting it in and out, sloshing whatever it contains. I personally don't think that I would like to sleep over it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final_touches_1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	17490
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6

James,

Where did you find two totes like that that will fit side-by-side under the center section? I've looked high and low (that was me at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. with the tape measure in hand) and all the ones I've found are just a scoch too wide to do that. Anything small enough to fit is then ridiculously, space-wastingly small Do you have a brand/model# you'd be willing to share -- or where you found them? Or maybe your trailer is wider there? Although it seems as if the molds are the same. Let's see, I'll measure...

Okay, the width between the benches on my Boler is 29" The totes I happen to have are about 15-1/2" wide (but I could not find any that were this type of size but less than 14-1/2" wide). Mine look about like yours in overall proportion and size.

Just as an aside, I converted to a bed by using a few 1" x 6" planks that just straddle the opening and fit into the notches where the table did. (I don't need that last little bit of width where the bench bases are on a ~45º angle -- and I already had a foam mattress that was 32" wide.) I thought about using a sheet of ply, but I had the boards on hand and they're easy to move around and store, plus I didn't have to think about glue or formaldehyde fumes (not that sealing the ply is a big deal, if one wants to use sheet goods; this was just one of my quick mock-ups that I might not ever change ).

I want two totes under there, not one!

Raya
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Boler
you would have to be like 5 feet tall to sleep back there if you raise it.
i am 6' and struggle to keep my feet off of the walls
i think it is a bad idea.
Erik J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #8

Raya! You almost have the right picture and don't realize it. I used the 15 1/2 wide [at the upper edge, they taper top to bottom.] totes without tops. They are flexable enough the squeeze together. An added benefit is that this helps them stay in place while travelling.If not then just add a small piece of 1/4 round material across in front of them. When pushed all the way in there's enough space for shoes at night. BTW, I think that I roamed CTC and Wally's with tape in hand, for a year before I found the ones I wanted.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000932_2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	17498

Just another thought.
The table is now used outside.
The rail was already there and there is a 110 v outlet under it.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Attachment 17498

Just another thought.
The table is now used outside.
The rail was already there and there is a 110 v outlet under it.
Hi: Jim... Nice pic Looks like you were at a Fiberglass Rally???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #11

Aha, friction fit! I don't know if we have the exact same ones, but nearly (I did notice there were a lot with about that width measurement). Mine are Sterilites that have olive green "click up" handles to lock the lids on. I even thought about cutting the rims off since I probably wouldn't mind not using the lids; then I just went to using one tote and a couple of small, space-wasting totes on the other side. I'll have to try them the way you did (I have four that I bought pre-Boler) and see how it works. Thanks for elaborating.

R.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 77 Scamp
You know your a addicted to your trailer when......
you spot two totes hidden under the bottom of a shelf in a tiny photo and wish you could own two exactly like it! hahahah thanks for the chuckle.......

Quote:
James,

Where did you find two totes like that that will fit side-by-side under the center section?
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi: Jim... Nice pic Looks like you were at a Fiberglass Rally???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Oh yeah!
Thanks for the pic Alf.
You got my good side.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Erik, I don't think raising the bed will have any effect on the width of the trailer.

BIG LOTS is the Mecca for totes! They not only have all the rubbermaid and other brand name ones, but they have "Unknown" makes that are various sizes and configurations.

I have one that is thicker plastic, taller than most and has handles that hang on either end. I use it for my clothes. The handles make it much easier to slide out when needed. It also has ventilation holes, so nothing collects condensation.

Like everything at Big Lots, buy two in case they run out.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Erik, I don't think raising the bed will have any effect on the width of the trailer.

BIG LOTS is the Mecca for totes!
Gina,

I think I can see what Erik means about the width issue in a Boler/clone: The trailer does start to get narrower as you move up from where the bed is in the stock position, because of the "eggness." Picture moving a bed from Humpty's waist up towards his "shoulders." Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd lose at least 2" - 3" if you moved the bed up to the base of the side windows - maybe more.

Thanks for the Big Lots tip! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one of those. I love totes

Raya
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Ah, OK..

I have only slept in my Burros, and the walls are pretty much straight up until you start getting higher than the windows.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #17

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
[quote]We added a permanant rear bed and a front dinette last year. I made a pannel that fits on top of the seats. It's made in three sections connected with piano hinge so that it could be removed and return the trailer to original. We keep two large totes [his and hers] under it since access to the storage areas has been taken away. They are concealed by a valance normally. I added outside access hatches and one side carriees jacks, cords, tools etc. while the other side carries camp stove and other outside essentials. This was a simple modification that can easily be reversed.
If you carry your porta-pot there you will be continually lifting it in and out, sloshing whatever it contains. I personally don't think that I would like to sleep over it.

Attachment 17490

Do you have pics of this mod without the bed in place.

Thanks

D&T
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #18

No, sorry! I didn't take pictures of the pannel. I just went to Home Depot, bought a sheet of 5/8" ply and cut it to the shape of the dinette area using a paper patern, cut from artboard from a dollar store. I then cut it into three pieces so that they would fold flat on each other for insertion and removal. The centre section being larger than the opening below. The sections are then connected back together with piano hinge. I also added three pieces of 1X4 maple across the opening to give support and a short piece of trim along the front edge to finish it off. When in place there is a strip of velcro about 6" back from the edge that holds a valance in place to cover the lower opening. I hope you can make sence of my rambling.
BTW i found that you should leave about a 3/8" gap all the way around the pannell to make it easier to remove later. I have to do that yet, right now it's too tight and lifting it pulls at the trailer side trim. I also added a webbed strap on each side so that I can pull it up easier.
We still use the original cushions for a matress with a 2" comfort foam topper and I sleep GREAT!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

(answer to post #6 partially quoted)

"Okay, the width between the benches on my Boler is 29" The totes I happen to have are about 15-1/2" wide (but I could not find any that were this type of size but less than 14-1/2" wide). Mine look about like yours in overall proportion and size."

Have you tried placing one tote upright and the second upside down? Since they are tapered, this may just be enough. Of course you would have to put things that don't spill in the one you are going to turn upside down

Another: How about placing them sideways with one behind the other with a strap affixed to the one behind?

Like they say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #20

Actually, I already one of these same sized totes running across the back of the space (so under the rear window and oriented that way). So if two were to fit side-by-side that would make three.

Interesting idea on the upside down arrangement. That's thinking outside the tote

What I like about using them as upright "drawers," is that I don't have to take them all the way out to access them, but can just slide them partway out - drawer style - and get into them. Of course I could glue the lid on the upside down one permanently and then cut out the the bottom! (now the top)

I have yet to try the friction fit but will do so. I think I'll also look into removing that table-leg-holder-bolt that's in the center of that space. Someone had already bent it over so that it wasn't really doing its job anyway.

Shoot, under the table/bed is one of the few places a "square" tote will really work well on a Boler/clone. What I want to know is when are they going to start making totes with one curved/tapered/rounded corner?

Raya