New Owner.... 85 13 ft. Scamp... needs lots of work - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Hi,

We just got our first Scamp and are very excited. We got a GREAT price and a clean title but it needs a lot of work. It looks like a tree fell on it 10 years ago and it sat in the rain since then. :-(

My best buddy is a retired body shop owner and we have already started and have put in a lot of time this last week. besides the damage in the pics the floor under the front window was rotten and we had to pull it all out. Thankfully my friend is real handy, and things are coming along alright.

We are debating paint schemes and ideas now and are thinking about using a thin coat of smooth bed-liner as a base then priming that. There are a lot if spider cracks and I have sanded them all down and glassed them over and built them up with harder and some bondo.

I will try to post more pics soon.

Joe

LINK to my blog with pics of camper
Attached Images

Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #2

Registry
Front window cover... anyone know of an aftermarket cover? I don't have to buy one from Scamp do I?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Way to be adventurous! Good luck on your project and keep the pictures coming!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Front window cover... anyone know of an aftermarket cover? I don't have to buy one from Scamp do I?
No you don't have to buy it from Scamp, you could make it out of a piece of plexiglass or a fiberglass panel (thinking shower stall material), but it's pretty cheap from Scamp. I bought one a couple of years ago for my 20+ year old trailer. I don't know any other manufacturer that has what you need.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Over on the Bolerama site the people from BolerBear have been considering manufacturing front covers. Maybe in the near future we'll have a molded cover.
See their rental site at
http://www.BolerBearXpress.com
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Over on the Bolerama site the people from BolerBear have been considering manufacturing front covers. Maybe in the near future we'll have a molded cover.
See their rental site at
http://www.BolerBearXpress.com
I saw that. Great for Boler owners! But, it sounded like the "Boler" name MAY be molded right into the cover. Then a Scamp owner could have a Boler/Scamp
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Joe, Congrats! Wow, what a project................. But you will have a cute little trailer after you done.

My question is why? Bedliner? You say your glassing over the issues, I assume your making the repairs and glassing over the tree damage. So I am wondering why bedliner product? Won't all the repairs your doing take care of the leak issues? Wouldn't you just paint and gel coat after repairs are done, or does bedliner product do something more than all your hard work? Again, Congrats! Keep the pictures coming of your project.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Joe, Congrats! Wow, what a project................. But you will have a cute little trailer after you done.

My question is why? Bedliner? You say your glassing over the issues, I assume your making the repairs and glassing over the tree damage. So I am wondering why bedliner product? Won't all the repairs your doing take care of the leak issues? Wouldn't you just paint and gel coat after repairs are done, or does bedliner product do something more than all your hard work? Again, Congrats! Keep the pictures coming of your project.
I wanted something durable... The fiberglass is pretty old and I like the look and feel of the bedliner... After doing more research I have decided to go with a Durabak two tone look...

The bottom half will be UV non-fading Forest Green with the traditional rough feel.
The top will be a smooth UV non-fading type bedliner that is Sand in color. There has been a lot of progress in bedliner paint and we think we will like it.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #9

Joe, since you have researched the bedliner option, I have a few more question to ask if you don't mind.

I had read that the weight of the product was pretty heavy overall? Is that so?
I had also read that the texture is very hard to clean, and doesn't wear well after a few years. Have you read differently? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Joe, since you have researched the bedliner option, I have a few more question to ask if you don't mind.

I had read that the weight of the product was pretty heavy overall? Is that so?
I had also read that the texture is very hard to clean, and doesn't wear well after a few years. Have you read differently? Thanks!

Well,

The weight is negligible. It only takes 2-3 gallons total. I can't imagine that it will makes much of a difference. It has to be painted either way, the difference in weight can't be more then a pound.

"Hard to clean" is pretty subjective... Sure, you can't just grab a rag and wipe it off but how dirty do you expect to get your camper? A spray house at a 25 cent car wash will do fine. Even a garden house at home. If you are all into waxing your camper then this is not an option for you. besides dust from the storage over winter, mine should stay pretty clean.

Joe
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #11

Yeah, you'll need to use a brush instead of a sponge to clean it. I've got one with a telescoping handle that I use on the roof of my trailer... and when I'm a bit lazy I use the brush on my entire tug. Works fine. Bought it at WallyWorld and it's made specifically for cleaning large vehicles... nice soft brush but tough enough it scrubs well.

Can't wait to see pictures, the color combination sounds very nice.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I saw that. Great for Boler owners! But, it sounded like the "Boler" name MAY be molded right into the cover. Then a Scamp owner could have a Boler/Scamp

Click image for larger version

Name:	253.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	27580

Here's a picture taken while we were prepping for a paint job. There's no name on the cover, just a raised portion where you could add your own thing. The name that I put on ours is made from aluminum and rivets on.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #13

(Quote, Joe)
but how dirty do you expect to get your camper?
(Quote)

Ummmmmmmmmmm, Expectations? LOL........... I know how dirty the Casita can get, and Dh's last truck had a bed liner that was impossible to keep clean that's why I wonder. A friend has a family memeber with an old beat up 13 ft'er and he is thinking of buying it and restoring it and had read about bed liner, and thinking of doing the same thing. But I still wonder about it? Just from the experience of having the product on a bed of a truck and knowing what gets on the trailer from camping trips. I told him, I would check it out further. Thanks for your ideas.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
(Quote, Joe)
but how dirty do you expect to get your camper?
(Quote)

Ummmmmmmmmmm, Expectations? LOL........... I know how dirty the Casita can get, and Dh's last truck had a bed liner that was impossible to keep clean that's why I wonder. A friend has a family memeber with an old beat up 13 ft'er and he is thinking of buying it and restoring it and had read about bed liner, and thinking of doing the same thing. But I still wonder about it? Just from the experience of having the product on a bed of a truck and knowing what gets on the trailer from camping trips. I told him, I would check it out further. Thanks for your ideas.
Well,

I have a bedliner in my truck and I have never real had a hard time cleaning it? It is the shiny rubbery black type. It was put in at a body shop.

I am just going to do the bottom half in bedliner after all, the bedliner is just to expensive. About $120 a gallon and I would need at least 2 gallons for the top.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #15

Registry
Ok... moving along... here are some pics... I also need some advice...

I had to peal out a lot of the damaged white rubber sheeting in the front inside... including the black foam under in a few spots to repair all the fiberglass...

What should I use to fix this? I was thinking carpet at first but the walls are so curved it was impossible. I DO NOT want to scrape it all out in the front either... I was thinking paint? Is there a paint that will adhere to this? Any other ideas?

Name:	BA1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	27865

Another

Name:	ba2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	27866

another

Name:	ba3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	27868

I to rebuild the corner near the door... it had all rotted due to water damage..

Name:	ba4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	27869

Here is where I need advice...

Name:	ba5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	27870

Here is where I need advice...the other side..

Name:	ba6.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	27871
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Wow. And I thought I put a load of time, effort, and money into my 73 Boler.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #17

Registry
Anyone? Still looking for a way to fix up those inside walls?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Check out some of Kevin61's youtube videos. He's dreaming up a modern-day ensolite in one of them.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #19

Registry
Well, I am not sure if that would work...

From what I understand, I can't just buy the stock stuff that is in my 85 Scamp.

I can't just paint it, it is missing in those two spots... arrgh..
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Can't you use this?:

http://shop.scamptrailers.com/c-4-carpet-fabric.aspx

(Good luck with the restore.)

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp