New Product okay Donna here you go. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On my last camping trip I coated the inside of the toilet bowl with Rain-X. I had seen a treatment for porta-potties that made thing not stick to the bowl and thought it might work. It really did not work as well as expected. This stuff looks really looks slick and may do the job.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Wonder how it would work on a windshield?
I was thinking the same thing. As I was reading up on it
they said it dries to a grey color. So I'm thinking it would
be like painting the windshield. But nothing would stick to
it. You just wouldn't be able to see through it.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #23

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Thanks for that image of Rain-X in a toilet bowl
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #24

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I was thinking the same thing. As I was reading up on it
they said it dries to a grey color. So I'm thinking it would
be like painting the windshield. But nothing would stick to
it. You just wouldn't be able to see through it.

Carl Im not sure.... the iphone screen looked crystal clear. I guess check the packaging, test it on a piece of glass... it could be razer bladed off Im sure. Just a neat idea if the windshield wipers wore out.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #25

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Carl Im not sure.... the iphone screen looked crystal clear. I guess check the packaging, test it on a piece of glass... it could be razer bladed off Im sure. Just a neat idea if the windshield wipers wore out.
You're right, I remember seeing the cell phone in a bucket of water.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Thanks for that image of Rain-X in a toilet bowl
I'm actually liking that idea a LOT...flushing is a huge water-waster. The slicker the bowl the better!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #27

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm actually liking that idea a LOT...flushing is a huge water-waster. The slicker the bowl the better!
Agreed. Despite the inherent humour in anything toilet-related, I think it's a brilliant idea.

I'm going to see if I can find this stuff in Canada anywhere. A bit expensive for covering the whole trailer, but definitely some interesting possibilities.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I am installing a new black tank and might as well spray the whole inside interior while it is virgin inside. Another member questions if its not carcinogenic so I will use with caution etc. Will get to do a flush test. Would be neat for shower walls. Perhaps in time since they signed a contract with Rustoleum that it will come in colors?
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #29

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I did a bit of looking around the web and particularly on the Rustoleum website and facebook page. I can answer a couple of questions...

First, no, it's not (yet) available in Canada. No mention of when it might be.

It isn't quite clear. It dries to a silvery grey that will affect the colour of what you put it on. It will probably be noticeable, but might not be a problem, depending on what you put it on. As usual, if colour/appearance is a concern, test before you dive in.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #30

Registry
I'm pretty sure that this is the Joe Public version of an industrial two-part coating that's been much talked about lately: Everdry. Lots of info at that link including MSDS. Descriptions, cautions, and even the videos are remarkably similar....as is the name, of course. My guess is Rustoleum saw a hot consumer possibility and jumped aboard. Good move!

Everdry isn't available in aerosol cans, though it can be hand sprayed using a pump-type sprayer. Useful product cost works out a little lower if purchased in this liquid form; also, for those of you worried about airborne fumes etc, this may be preferred as it doesn't have the propellants required for canned aerosols. It looks like quart is the smallest size available, but shelf stability over time is low so it's probably wise to buy just what's needed for a current project.

Francesca
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
It isn't quite clear. It dries to a silvery grey that will affect the colour of what you put it on.
I too wanted to know more about the product. This is the color info, etc. from Rust-oleum:

NeverWet dries to a Flat Frosted Clear color, therefore, it should never be applied to windshields or automobile windows.

Can NeverWet Be recoated?
If the superhydrophobic properties are diminished, NeverWet can be reapplied. Lightly sand the surface of the coated object to remove any remaining Top Coat, and then reapply the Base and Top Coat according to the directions on the previous page.

Sand it off? Guess I won't be appying it to the cushion covers

More FAQs here: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...23c7d17ce8.pdf
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #32

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Sand it off? Guess I won't be appying it to the cushion covers

Well there goes my idea for the nude swimsuit I was thinking about !!
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Windshields

Quote:
Wonder how it would work on a windshield?
Deryk,

They already have Rain-X. It works great. But it works best in heavier rain and at higher speeds. And it does wear off. Using the windshield wipers with Rain-X on the windshield creates streaks.

I think it originally was developed for aircraft windshields.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tried RainX on my windshield years ago. I found that I had to sit, staring out a fogged window and wait, with the defroster running, until the windshield heated up and cleared. Never used it again. If I can find it, I might try it on the toilet.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #35

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I tried RainX on my windshield years ago. I found that I had to sit, staring out a fogged window and wait, with the defroster running, until the windshield heated up and cleared. Never used it again. If I can find it, I might try it on the toilet.
Good luck with reaching your windshield while you are on the toilet
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #36

NE Oklahoma
Walmart does not carry this here.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #37

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Gotta' chime in here since I've used this stuff. I've tried the Rust-Oleum NeverWet version from Home Depot. Since I work outdoors in Alaska in all sorts of nasty and extreme weather, I'm always looking for something that will give me a little edge in the "stay warm and dry" department. Unfortunately I find this stuff to be in the "almost useless" department.

First of all, it goes on just like it's presented in the videos and literature. Two-step process with drying between and after. Simple.

The "milky frost" look it leaves behind is, IMHO, understated. It's clear why they use white canvas shoes and light colored gloves and such in the demo videos. I sprayed this on three items, brown leather work boots, a blue fabric ball cap, and a pair of tan leather work gloves. All of them look like they aged or experienced some kind of mistreatment almost immediately. The boots and gloves looked like I dipped them in salt water and dried them out leaving a nice coating of fine powdered salt behind. The cap looks like it had 10 years of dust on it, or like I wore it working in a saw mill for three years.

Bottom line, it will affect the appearance of almost anything that isn't white or light gray in color.

Second, the finished coating when dry isn't permanent. You can rub it off (or in) with a fingertip. It's slightly sticky too. Kind of like semi-dry hair spray (for lack of a better description). It isn't tacky per se, just not hard or permanent. I can't think of a good way to describe it. It's just "sitting" there.

Third, the performance in the real world isn't a "game changer" in my opinion. It works, but it has limited use and longevity. For instance, I hoped that it would keep my leather gloves from getting soaked, or at least delay the process through the course of a 12-hour shift. But wherever the glove comes in contact with something, such as the entire palm-side of the glove when I grab onto something, it "mashes" the NeverWet into the leather and in doing that, the coating ceases to function. So when it's raining, the back of my gloves now stay relatively dry, but the inside (palm side) are soaked through within a few minutes.

Same on my boots. If I only had to walk around the neighborhood delivering mail (for instance) and the uppers of my boots never touched anything, I guess the water shedding properties of the NeverWet material would work great. But in my job, my boots take a beating top to bottom and as soon as I touch a spot on the uppers to anything, that spot is now susceptible to a thorough soaking. For boots, the silicone based water proofing sprays work better for me because these soak into the leather and after they dry they will repel water for a certain span of time whether you beat your boots up or not. Plus, they only make the leather darker, unlike the NeverWet which makes them look dried out and dusty.

The only place this stuff was relatively useful to me is on my hat. It made my brand new navy blue cap look like hell, but it keeps my head pretty dry even in a pretty serious rain storm. But again, in the area of the bill where I often grab the hat to put it on, take it off, or adjust it, that area sucks up water like there is nothing there.

Finally, if you spray it on anything that is non-porous, it will not stick. You can just rub it off with your finger, and it balls up like the rubber from a pencil eraser as you use it. Kinda' messy actually.

I suppose this might be good for something like an umbrella or maybe an awning, if it doesn't get handled very much. But forget using it on anything that gets touched a lot, or sat on, or handled a lot in any way. The more something is handled, the less the coating works as it's worn off or ground into the material it's sitting on. For me, on my gloves and boots, and the bill of my cap, this happened within minutes of using it in the elements. So be aware that while this stuff may have its uses, it's not as revolutionary or durable as the promotional materials suggest.

Still, I'd be curious to hear other experiences, both good and bad, to learn more about how people use this stuff. I still have some left but I'm at a loss now on what to use it for in my situation. Maybe someone can post some ideas that I can borrow down the road.

Cheers!

Mike
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #38

Texas
Thanks Mike. Guess I can put my money to better uses. Appreciate the detailed response as it pretty well sums it up. I love Media Hype Im surprised the Aussie on TV wasnt hawking it for them
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #39

Registry
Now, THAT is what I call useful information, Trainjunkie Mike!

Abandoning my plans to use it on my new seatcovers...

Francesca
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Mike! I got stopped at reading where these stuff has to be sanded off...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote