New propane lines in a Boler 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 73 Boler

For flaring, I used an old fashioned tool that clamps around the tubing, with a conical piece that screws down into the end of the tubing. I guess that's still the common tool for such jobs. Anyway, I suggest practicing on some scrap to learn where to clamp the tubing to get the right amount of flare. And most important......don't forget to slide the nut on the tube BEFORE flaring. I supposed everyone has to do this once, but it just doesn't make one's day to take the flaring tool off the tube and the see the nut laying nearby.

As a side note to flaring copper for gas/propane. All flared joints will be double flared with the proper flare fittings a little mopre money but safe and is required by law here.
K Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
And most important......don't forget to slide the nut on the tube BEFORE flaring. I supposed everyone has to do this once, but it just doesn't make one's day to take the flaring tool off the tube and the see the nut laying nearby.
I can think of a couple of corollaries to that:

1) Put the hose clamp on the hose *before* you wrestle the hose onto the barbed fitting (sure you can unscrew the entire hose clamp, but it's not fun).

2) Put the heat-shrink tubing on the wire, *before* you crimp the connection (no way to get around this one).

Don't ask me how I know these things
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I see it as the same as hooking up your own gas range or dryer in your home. there are codes that state that a professional gasfitter "must" do the job. would this not hold true with auto insurance? I called the guys that did the job for me and they or course agreed with me.... so just to be sure, I called a friend that works for our public insurance company to ask the question. guess what... if it wasn't done to code, they could refuse the claim unless I could prove it was done by a registered gasfitter.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Right....like anyone I know including me is going to call "a professional gas fitter" to hook up a stove. Here the delivery person hooks it up if you buy a new stove and we hook it up if it's a used one.

Laws must/might be different in the frozen north but I'm sure people still hook up their own stoves.

We've been remodeling houses, (completely re piping our house 22 years ago) and RV for 25+ years and have never even considered hiring someone to do gas piping. Our house work was permitted and manage to pass inspection, even tho it was done by mere mortals.

Like Raya says if you are not comfortable doing it don't. We are comfortable doing it.

Ps...we test the lines and fittings with a match to make sure there are no leaks. <sub>Just kidding!</sub>
Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm one of those people that learn.. by doing. Perhaps replumb the new lines yourself... then ask/pay a "professional" to inspect it? You will have accomplished/learned something, but still may feel safer by having it "approved" for use...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #26

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Donna,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm actually comfortable with installing the propane fittings (have done so for boats) and then checking them for leaks. In starting the thread, I was mostly curious about how folks who had replaced the lines in their Bolers had gone about the logistics (as in, did they take it out in one piece; were there any caveats specific to the Boler; had they gone back in with similar or newer/better materials; anything they'd do differently the next time, etc.)

Somehow that morphed into a discussion about whether people were or weren't comfortable doing their own work, or whether they should be allowed to, etc.

I'm into other projects right at the moment. I posted the thread when I did because Lizbeth had posted in another thread about replacing her lines, and rather than interrupt that thread to query her I started my own new one.

Just thought I'd explain. Thanks for the note,

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, propane