New rivets and Poli-Glow woo hoo! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
New rivets and Poli-Glow woo hoo!

Thank you once again to this forum! We replaced most of the rivets (left the curtain rod ones alone) and cleaned the exterior with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads, then washed with poliglow prep and then did 4-6 coats of poliglow. It looks like a different camper!
2005 Scamp 13'. A friend is going to help me make new curtains next weekend.
Might tackle painting the bumper and trailer next....
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Howzabout before and after pics?
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Howzabout before and after pics?
Seconded.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Mind if I pose a related question to the group?

Assuming that one has a FG trailer in good condition, with little or no oxidation to the fiberglass body finish, which product would be better for a trailer that is stored outside in the southeast?

1. 3M 09030 Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax

or

2. Poli Glow with Applicator - Poliglow International
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
Thirded, if I can say that
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I can't reply about best to use...but my 2001 Casita had been stored outside in a storage yard for years when I bought it..I cleaned the very oxidized surface, then used Poly Glo, four coats, did it last year and it still is beautiful. I will do another coat as soon as our California monsoons let up.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #7

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
fourthed
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

Name: Clemens
Trailer: Casita, 17' LD
California
Polyglow

I keep seeing pretty strong recommendations for PolyGlow. Has anyone experienced any downsides to that product? I'm getting ready to either wax my 2010 Casita or apply a sealer such as PolyGlow.

Thanks all
Clemens Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemens Bock View Post
I keep seeing pretty strong recommendations for PolyGlow. Has anyone experienced any downsides to that product? I'm getting ready to either wax my 2010 Casita or apply a sealer such as PolyGlow. Thanks all
Howdy, don't know where you are in Ca but I'm in the SoCal desert and my SD sees 125* temps in the summer and is uncovered. Sounds like you've been reading up on polishing so you've probably noticed that folks are pretty much split on what to use. Not going to push one or another, just my own experience. I used paste wax on other larger RVs with power buffers, PITA. With the SD I use Zep which is like Poly and both are a wax and it takes me about 2 hours to put 5 coats on with a couple beer breaks . The shine lasts me 1 1/2 years in my extreme location before it start to flake a bit on the sunny side. Mine has never turned yellowish like some folks have said they've seen. Stripping it, full strength on the stripper, takes about 1 1/2 hours. Total time of both is less than one side of my last class A. Really no matter what you use, any wax is better than none, just how much time you want to spend doing it . Just FYI, if you should use Zep or Poly, use a white micro fiber towel. Wring it out as much as you can so there is no runs. Others that used a different color cloth had a tinge of the cloth color on their TT after waxing . That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Here you go. These are all "after". Hard to see in a photo, but it l looks great. Before it looked chalky and dull and dirty! Oops my photos are sideways....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0092.JPG   IMG_0093.JPG  

IMG_0096.JPG  
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Makes it so much easier to clean and no black streaks to scrub off. I use Zep myself every 2 years much better than traditional wax which doesn't do as good a job every 6 months. Its kicks my bottom one day to strip, clean and 5 coats of top coat but none of the work is as tough as traditional waxing and polishing.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #12

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Must have tipped it over to do the sides lol Looks great!
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #13

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
That looks great! Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #14

Name: Clemens
Trailer: Casita, 17' LD
California
Thanks to all for the input. Clem
Clemens Bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[QUOTE=gordon2;636119]Mind if I pose a related question to the group?

Assuming that one has a FG trailer in good condition, with little or no oxidation to the fiberglass body finish, which product would be better for a trailer that is stored outside in the southeast?

That would depend on what your calling "with little or no oxidation".
If it's indeed "little or no" a good polishing and then wax would be better.
The reason I say that is because some, not myself, have had Poli-Glo flake off and I believe that's from using it over a still decent slippery gel-coat.

Now if the finish is badly weathered like mine and no amount of polishing will restore any semblance of a shine then Poli-Glo or ZEP wet look floor finish will make it look like new after a good cleaning. (shiny black streaks still look bad)
After Poli-glow or ZEP has hardened for a day or so a coat of good wax will make water bead up on it and enhance the shine even more.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote