New Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Russ & Vivian
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
New Scamp

Yesterday I bought a 1991 16ft Scamp, it has the oak cabinets, ac/heater, stereo,blinds, bath/shower, frig and 3 burner stove. Anything I should know?
Just joined the forum, so go easy on the new guy....LOL
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group

If this is your first adventure in FGRV's you will have the opportunity to learn a lot, but be sure to ask each and every question you may or may not think of asking.

Because it's new-to-you, first concerns might be tire age and wheel bearing service, tires should be less than 5 years old and wheel bearings need to be repacked every year or so, as well as having the brakes checked while the drums are off.

Next might be checking out all the appliances and verify that they work as intended, especially the refrigerator and furnace if so equipped.

Then any repairs you might see as needed, especially the condition of the caulking and sealant around the windows and the roof hatches. Use a garden hose and try to make it leak....

How's that for the first few hours with your new Scamp?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Bob, thanks for the welcome. Where can I buy latches for the front window cover?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Bob, thanks for the welcome. Where can I buy latches for the front window cover? Also it has two awnings, was that an option?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #5

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Did you look at Scamp online store? Scamp Trailers Parts Store
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Thanks Sergey, checking now.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

And, if they are not listed give them a call tomorrow, don't depend on emails, doesn't work so good with Scamp

BTW: If you are ordering from SCAMP parts, you might want to look around your trailer some first. The little plastic screw-cover buttons all over the outside, including up on the roof, often crack and will fall off. They have them in stock in 2-3 sizes.
I would get new retaining rings as well. They can sell you a kit for all of them on a 16'.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Rivets

So I just drill out the old rivets and put in a new one, and if I want to mount something to the walls I just drill and rivet just like the factory?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

If you need new cap holders you have to drill out the old rivets. I always put some seal on the new rivets before I insert and pop them. Again, Scamp has the correct length and diameter rivets in their parts dept.

I suggest asking on a case by case basis about attaching anything to the wall. There may be better ways than adding more holes to the shell. There is lots of experience on the site on that topic, some not so successful!

Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because the snap caps are bad, doesn't necessarily mean that the "clear" part of the ring is bad. You may find some are perfectly okay. Don't ask me how I know
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
The Scamp people have always been great to work with, told me were the fuzz was on the 19 ft loft step. Great service
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
yep

Called them yesterday and ordered two marker lens and rivits and caps and washers, a door latch and water fill cover. Have not got a order confermation yet but I'm hopeful.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
Yesterday I bought a 1991 16ft Scamp, it has the oak cabinets, ac/heater, stereo,blinds, bath/shower, frig and 3 burner stove. Anything I should know?
I see you have already found yourself a few projects! All good and easy stuff!

One thing you should know is if the rear lights on your Scamp are the original wedding cake ones they are not very bright! and as a result you may find especially at times when the sun is shining on them the people behind you will think that you either didn't use your turn signal or that your brake lights don't work.... had on more than one occasion someone follow me just so they could yell at me about that.

One of the members here, Chuck, has a little online shop and they sell LED rear lights that are pretty easy to install and they look as close as your going to get to the original lights. And the price is right & great service! Tail Lights LED 7 Inch Diameter

Edit to add: the other thing you should know that is top secret or it was until one of the members here let it out! Scamp sells a rubber weather stripping/moulding that goes around the door - it stays in place far better & will not rip apart as easy as the foam one they have on their website and the one the guys in the parts department will try and sell you first. You have to ask them specifically for the top secret heavier rubber stuff!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:04 AM   #14

Pennsylvania
Carol

Thanks for the heads up about the weather stripping, mine will need replaced sometime soon so might as well call them today and see if my order went out yet so I can add it. I will order the tail lights from Chuck thanks for suggesting him. My first and only inside project will be to add a shelf over the front dinette, making a pattern is going to be the hardest part, figured trying making one from the cushions.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
. My first and only inside project will be to add a shelf over the front dinette, making a pattern is going to be the hardest part, figured trying making one from the cushions.

Cut out a piece of cardboard that is roughly to the shape of the front of the trailer and they use a compass with a pencil on it to trace out the wall onto the cardboard. There is a good example of doing this on the Casita Forum - Template for Curved Walls.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Thanks Carol, not a cabinet maker, did not think of that. Another question, even thought the carpet looks like new I was thinking of Alure, can I install it right over top of the carpet?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #17

Registry
I guess it depends on what type of floor you are putting down but personally I would pull the carpet out as I suspect most others have done. There is the weight issue of having both wood and carpet down, as well as the issue of what type of wood flooring and how it connects to itself to consider - probable best to ask a floor expert on whether or not leaving the carpet in place will do any harm. The carpet should if original be pretty simple to remove - any places glued can often be taken up with a putty knife.

Use the search function on this site - use the Google option at the very bottom of the drop down menu for best results for posts and pictures of wood floor installs.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Russ take the carpet out. I installed carpet back in the day and can't see any wood or vinyl working over carpet, even a straight glue down with no padding like furniture stores do.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp