Newbie- needs help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft 1991 Scamp
I am new to FGRVs and RVing in general. Have just purchased a '91 16ft Scamp and need to learn more about them. My first question is how to clean up the exterior and refresh it. Are there special products people use ?
Another looming question is : my bathroom is carpeted on the ceiling. The owners said it came that way. How does one use the shower without the carpeting becoming moldy and damp ? They said they never used the shower. Is there something to recover that area with ? Also, the carpeting on the entry door is in bad shape. Suggestions on replacement ? DIY or need to have professionally done.? I don't like carpeting on the door:too hard to keep decent looking.
I am in Florida and am looking forward to meeting other Scamp or Casita owners on future rallys.
Thanks for any suggestions to my problems.
rosemarie
Rosemarie K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The carpeting is marine fabric, designed to take a lot of water abuse won't mildew. It should clean with soap and water.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this on the out side. Worked GREAT for me.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...amp;hl=poliglow
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
and Hi: All Scamp parts are still avail. from them so new carpet/wall covering can be ordered. Also there is Scamp Owners International (S.O.I.) club and they have a meet early every Feb. at Highlands Hammock St. Pk. in Sebring Fla. Lots of owners to share ideas with...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
and Hi: All Scamp parts are still avail. from them so new carpet/wall covering can be ordered. Also there is Scamp Owners International (S.O.I.) club and they have a meet early every Feb. at Highlands Hammock St. Pk. in Sebring Fla. Lots of owners to share ideas with...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
We got the "Rat Fur" for our rebuild directly from Scamp. They have at least 2 color options to chose from. I know of the tan "sandstone" and the blue/gray color that we chose. Good luck with your new egg.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
I would also be interested in products to re-new the look of the fiberglass.
Is this a project that you can do by yourself or should the "pro's" handle it?
Shelley Brinacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
To polish the exterior you could use Red Max Floor Wax or Poli-Glow both work good and easy to apply. On this forum are many postings for these products.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
your in florida so should have access to marina's . any product that works for fiberglass boats should work equaly well on your scamp.

one tip i have learned , as i age i find the best tool in my tool box is my check book. lol ,higher a teenager to polish your scamp. they can use the money,,, and will save untold wear on your joints.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Good luck finding a teen willing to work that hard these days, lol. My teen daughter would and even she cant believe how lazy/spoiled other teens are. She volunteers at the library and when other teens come in to do their volunteer hours (required for graduation) they find somewhere to hide and then play with their phones the entire time. They are too lazy to put books back on a shelf!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarie K. View Post
I am new to FGRVs and RVing in general. Have just purchased a '91 16ft Scamp and need to learn more about them. My first question is how to clean up the exterior and refresh it. Are there special products people use ?
Another looming question is : my bathroom is carpeted on the ceiling. The owners said it came that way. How does one use the shower without the carpeting becoming moldy and damp ? They said they never used the shower. Is there something to recover that area with ? Also, the carpeting on the entry door is in bad shape. Suggestions on replacement ? DIY or need to have professionally done.? I don't like carpeting on the door:too hard to keep decent looking.
I am in Florida and am looking forward to meeting other Scamp or Casita owners on future rallys.
Thanks for any suggestions to my problems.
rosemarie
Have no fear... Eight years, 300 nights and 600 showers and the bathroom looks and performs like new.
be sure and use the shower curtain to protect the bathroom door and the area outside it though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Rosemarie, welcome to FiberglassRV. My trailer is years older than yours and I've made friends with "no shine." I don't care if anyone knows it's not brand new, its mine and not theirs. I wash it with the same stuff I wash the tug with and if I have the energy, I put a coat of Gel Gloss on it. Doesn't have a sparkling shiny finish... but that fits the owner (me) because I'm not young and shiny either! The interior doesn't have a "theme" going... I shoot for clean as a theme. Sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't. Throw rugs are excellent by the door because you can shake them out and throw in the washing machine to freshen up. Best yet, is they're cheap enough to replace as needed.

Enjoy your Scamp, they're a lot of fun!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Shining Exterior

I've used Nu Finish car polish on my Scamp , Some day I will go to poliglow but for now Nu Finish works. I can wax my whole scamp in 4 hours and that's taking your time. Last summer Menards had the NU Finish paste wax on sale 3 /$10.00 . I've also used Mothers synthetic wax with good results. Don't worry about the bath carpeting , I've never seen water have any effect on it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
On a good day my old Burro looked like a dirty cloth diaper, and I had despaired of ever getting the energy to shine it up. The little black spots were so hard to get off that I resorted to 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper just to get rid of them.

When I realized that the 600 grit areas just made the thing look diseased I had to take action. Unlike Donna, my goal is to make the Burro match my shiny bald head. (No logic there, just extreme vanity).

Once I got it clean I used Red Max No. 3, (about $16 at Lowe's, good for about 31 applications), wiped it on (just like dusting) with a microfiber towel dunked in the stuff and gently wrung out. No rubbing, no polishing. No waiting either. (I didn't even need to buff out the 600 grit spots).

Looked awfully blotchy after one or two coats, but on coat 3 I sensed a miracle coming on. Coat 4 and everything was even and shiny.

The B. has now spent its usual outdoor winter, and every year up until this year it has come out looking like a Tammy Faye Baker look alike (mascara running everywhere). Now there is only a small bit of that in the crevices under the windows and they wipe right off. I used to be almost too exhausted to go camping in the spring because I had worked like a dog to get the B. clean enough to go to the NOG without mental trauma.

This year it will take me about 3.5% of the effort to get it clean and I will have to bring the sunglasses. Useful stuff.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I believe the Red Max has become hard to find at Lowe's, so if you want to use the stuff you can find it at Home Depot with the name "Zep". Same stuff, same manufacturer, different name.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Another product to consider that I have found works really well on the exterior and was made for fiberglass is by 3M. If it has a light oxidation use their Clean & Wax product using a 3m superbuff wool pad - or I have done it by hand using micro cloths but it does a really good job with the superbuff. If it has heavy oxidation then you should use their Restore & wax product..... both have worked really well for me.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 75 Trillium (green grape) Someone told me that the bathroom kitchen product "VIM" was good at removing the scum & blk spots. I tried it on a small section just using a cloth and was suprised at the results. Will have to wait for better weather to give it a good try.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Rosemarie K
I just buffed my trailer and waxed it with regular fiberglass/car wax when we acquired it ,once in the spring once in fall......we dont use our showe either, As for the door carpeting, when i had my door apart to fix the water saturation problem, I just peeled the Rat Fur off and threw it in wash machine, reapplied with 3m 90 adhesive, or you could peel off carpeting ,remove the remaining glue, sand/smooth with bondo and paint it, its just a fiberglass panel but it is was pretty rough on mine. I see pictures on here once where someone did exactlly that....
Tom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
I have a 75 Trillium (green grape) Someone told me that the bathroom kitchen product "VIM" was good at removing the scum & blk spots. I tried it on a small section just using a cloth and was suprised at the results. Will have to wait for better weather to give it a good try.
Ron
I was having a hard time removing black scuff marks. They were left by the metal trim on the table while resting in the bench grooves while in the down position. A boater friend recommended the VIM, it worked very well. However, you have to use the VIM that comes in a green bottle. I was told it has a micro abrasive in it the "scrubs/sands" it out. There was a slight dullness to the areas that I had scrubbed. Come spring I'll try and polish it back up.

Cheers,
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Good luck finding a teen willing to work that hard these days, lol. My teen daughter would and even she cant believe how lazy/spoiled other teens are. She volunteers at the library and when other teens come in to do their volunteer hours (required for graduation) they find somewhere to hide and then play with their phones the entire time. They are too lazy to put books back on a shelf!
its pretty easy actualy, go to your local church. offer a donation to the youthgroup in exchange for a trailer "spiffinuppin".......is that a word?

or scout troup ,,,or (fill in the blank)
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Auto wax versus Red Max Pro 3

We use to wax our trailer with car wax and would have to do it frequently, at least four times a year to keep a shine.

We've had a Red Max Pro 3 shine for 7 months, on the road 5 months, and it still glows, more than any auto wax shine I ever used.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote