No cooking or toilets. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
Okay, we just got our used Scamp 16' and will be renovating (complete.) We don't want a sink, toilet or gas burner included. We still like the outdoor cooking and so forth, so I was wondering if anyone here has done a restoration without those items. We like clean and spacious (as much as you can get in a 16' trailer.)

Thanks.
Fab W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
Okay, we just got our used Scamp 16' and will be renovating (complete.) We don't want a sink, toilet or gas burner included. We still like the outdoor cooking and so forth, so I was wondering if anyone here has done a restoration without those items. We like clean and spacious (as much as you can get in a 16' trailer.)

Thanks.
If you do plan on removing those appliances and possibly the counters ,make it so that it will be easy to reinstall later at time of sale if you choose to sell , and will be worth more . These trailers are highly sought after especially with all original equipment .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
If you do plan on removing those appliances and possibly the counters ,make it so that it will be easy to reinstall later at time of sale if you choose to sell , and will be worth more . These trailers are highly sought after especially with all original equipment .

Thanks Perry, the previous owners took out all appliances except the fridge, but they cut the gas and it wasn't working at all so we will remove it and replace it with an electric one. We aren't even thinking about resell as this is our first and probably last one.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

Oh, it also had electric brakes that the previous owners disconnected. Is this something that can be easily fixed? Do I need to fix them?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Unless your towing with a tank, I would invest the time to repair the electric brakes. (just me)

Taking out the toilet? Really? Do you plan on boondocking at all? Even being in a campground with facilities does not assure you a bathroom. Or should I say a pleasant bathroom experience.

Personally I understand what Perry is saying about re-sale, but I am not one to adhere to keeping things "original" and since you are pretty sure re-sale won't be the case I say do what makes you comfortable. But make sure the things you rip out are not the things you will want for your campging pleasure in the future.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
"We don't want a sink, toilet or gas burner included."

Why not just buy a tent and forgo the trailer? Without any of those "conveniences" you are deleting, there seems little need to justify hauling around just a gutted-out carcass of a trailer. Just my take on it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My wife and I tent camped for many years (decades actually), and finally decided we needed a self-contained trailer for one main reason - we had reached a point where we didn't want to have to use public "facilities," especially in the middle of the night. We could do without the inside stove, sink, and shower, but when we have to get up at 0200 to use the restroom, it's awfully nice to be able to do it without getting dressed, finding a flashlight, and going for a hike.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Oh, it also had electric brakes that the previous owners disconnected. [b]Is this something that can be easily fixed?
I think so.
Each brake will have TWO wires hanging out the back of the drums.
  • One is 12 volt power, and needs to be connected to the BLUE wire coming from the 7-pin plug, which is the output from the brake controller in the tow vehicle.
  • The other is "Ground" or "Return" and is usually connected (white wire in my picture) to the frame of the trailer at a point close to that brake drum.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0313half.jpg  
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
My opinion
Keep the bathroom.
Use a camp stove in or outside depending on weather.
Use water jug in or outside with a plastic wash tub for dishes.
Use a portable cooler for one for food and one for drinks.
I have never used the stove,sink or frig in my 13' scamp. I cook outside all the time and if its raining I use a tarp.
Just my opinion.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

Thanks.
Well, different strokes for different folks. I'm not being snotty here, but maybe you'd be happier with a cargo trailer... you could put windows in, insulate as wanted and plan the layout EXACTLY as you desire. In the Scamp there are inside supports you need to leave in place to keep the roof from concaving. If you sell the Scamp, you'd get more than enough money to convert a cargo trailer. Imagine a HUGE bed and maybe recliners!

Thinking out loud here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies, All.

Here is more of the plan. Your feedback is always appreciated.

We've tent-camped all these years and as much as we do still love it, we also wanted the luxury of a trailer as a safer shelter from the harsh outside environment and nut jobs now that we're traveling with our little girl. The space previously used for the toilet (front of the trailer as one enters) was a bulky DIY project by the original owner we weren't kin on we plan on using to build a daybed for our daughter. The front window has also been covered with more fur which made the place stuffier (that darn fur!!!).

The kitchenette situation isn't an urge or a need for two reasons, Greg: one, the original owner removed it to build bunk beds and didn't save it so we don't have it to restore nor is it in our budget at present to rebuild. Two, I can't really see myself cooking bacon inside a 16' trailer. A small sink and two small burners with fully functionning plumbing and electricity would be nice but this may be a later project as we reassess our camping needs. For now, a canopy and our current camping equipment should suffice as it always has.

Ray, your description of night trips to the bathroom had me laughing. Aaaah the memories!

Frederick, thanks so much for that explanation!!! if you don't mind, I'll bug you if (when) we hit a wall. We figured we'd need them since the trailer will be fairly light and we don't want it swinging if we have to hit the brakes hard. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think the camper could work well for you. It's also more "acceptable" if you plan to stay at campgrounds (compared to school busses, cargo trailers, and the like).

Yes, you should leave in the support of the closets/cabinets (or make other supports/ring frames/etc. to take their place), but you can still personalize.

It sounds like you got the trailer inexpensively, and like it's not pristine, so you won't be "ruining" anything cosmetically.

I vote to live your life, with your trailer, as you want to vs. being a slave to re-sale value (assuming that is what you want to do). Just do keep it structurally sound.

After car/van camping (i.e. in the vehicle) for years, I feel there is still a difference in a "hard tent" over a fabric tent. You can bring your bed, keep everything stowed and ready to go, stop over in a Wal-Mart, relax in a rest area, have electricity.... things that don't work as well in a tent-tent.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #13

Precisely, Raya!

I understand where everyone is coming from but we don't have a problem digging to use the bathroom (our 5 y.o. just "Eeeeew-ed" me) or building a fire to cook dinner. We really do want to keep some of the "rough" camping alive and teach our daughter. It's just nice to have a safer place to sleep in and we couldn't be happier with our find after all these years. I should add we plan on using the Scamp as a guest house when not on the road. As you've pointed Raya, resale value is not a concern of ours at all.

We did on plan on rebuilding or refinishing the support structural cabinets as per several suggestions on here, which we will have to work around the new fridge once we find it.

Thanks for the suggestions, All!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry
I think once you get out and camp a few times you will decide what you will need or want to add. I know it is just nice not being in a tent when a nice rain storm comes along or sleeping on the cold hard ground. Steph
stephanie reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Well I just had to chime in on the toilet situation. We have had numerous trailers ( 12 or so over about 40 years of camping ) most of them had toilets, our current 13 foot Uhaul does not. Admittedly a regular toilet in your trailer is a convenience but there is much to be said for not having one. If you do a lot of boondocking or winter camping a porta potty can be a asset. When boondocking you can throw the porta potty in the back of the truck and dump it in any forest service outdoor privy ( These privys outnumber RV dump sites easily 20 to 1 ) whereas when the the holding tank on the regular toilet fills up it is either go home or hook on to the trailer and drive perhaps serveral miles to the nearest RV dump ( and it is often many miles to that RV dump ). When winter camping there is no worry about the porta potty freezing whereas the holding tank is a concern. My wife and I have come to actually prefer the porta potty solution. We have also removed our stove for the following reasons, one obviously more counter space, two if it is really cold outside we will probably be in a campground with electricity and our electric skillet and microwave meet our cooking needs, and lastly if it is really hot out it is way to hot to add cooking heat to the small trailer so we cook outside on our portable coleman grill/stove. Certainly not saying that everyone should pitch the toilet and stove but for some it can be quite workable. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #16

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
OK, another opinion....
After years of NO bathroom facilities a porta potty is our luxury.
I agree with you...for us, the sink in the boler is really too small. a bathroom not necessary, and the stove is nice for really foul weather, but not necessary.
We still tent camp, but the adirondack weather is often cold and wet even in summer, so the bed is nice.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I won't comment on the, digging a hole other than to say isn't that technically illegal?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We currently have an '83 Scamp 13 that we use extensively when camping. It's nice not to have to set up and break down camp (too much). We do set up a screen house for cooking and eating when the bugs are a problem. We do not use the sink, stove or fridge. In fact we store stuff in the fridge and the sink is a catch-all. We have the porta potty, but it would be so nice to have a bathroom. That's the only thing I miss.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Well I just had to chime in on the toilet situation. We have had numerous trailers ( 12 or so over about 40 years of camping ) most of them had toilets, our current 13 foot Uhaul does not. Admittedly a regular toilet in your trailer is a convenience but there is much to be said for not having one. If you do a lot of boondocking or winter camping a porta potty can be a asset. When boondocking you can throw the porta potty in the back of the truck and dump it in any forest service outdoor privy ( These privys outnumber RV dump sites easily 20 to 1 ) whereas when the the holding tank on the regular toilet fills up it is either go home or hook on to the trailer and drive perhaps serveral miles to the nearest RV dump ( and it is often many miles to that RV dump ). When winter camping there is no worry about the porta potty freezing whereas the holding tank is a concern. My wife and I have come to actually prefer the porta potty solution. We have also removed our stove for the following reasons, one obviously more counter space, two if it is really cold outside we will probably be in a campground with electricity and our electric skillet and microwave meet our cooking needs, and lastly if it is really hot out it is way to hot to add cooking heat to the small trailer so we cook outside on our portable coleman grill/stove. Certainly not saying that everyone should pitch the toilet and stove but for some it can be quite workable. Lee and Norma
It seems that you have forgotten about totes... even this 12 gallon one will empty a full Scamp blackwater tank and fit in the back of the truck with ease.
[b] http://tinyurl.com/y6xe7le

A simple stove cover will give back the "extra" counter space and we even engineered ours to lock into the drawer to serve as more table or counter space when cooking or serving with the bed made.
We've had all levels, and settled on having every convenience, we started with simple and worked our way up. My advice would be NOT to remove anything already supplied with the trailer until you find that you haven't used it for a season or two.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #20

Thank you all for the many suggestions and ideas. The gutting is done. On to the next phase.

Robin, when in the wild with no toilet nearby, one has two options: dig and burry (8 inches) or bag it. The former is not illegal however hikers and campers alike are asked to respect and follow park regulations for environmental reasons amongst others.

Leave No Trace (http://www.lnt.org/) outlines those and many other rules/guidelines for the safe and environmentally-friendly disposal of various items in the outdoors.