ok to level with (built-in) rear jacks, for winterizing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Azer
Trailer: Scamp 16', 2007
Colorado
ok to level with (built-in) rear jacks, for winterizing?

hi.

Please see the email from the former owner of my trailer. I am not yet equipped with jacks or blocks so, if safe and ok, I would plan to use this method. Does it seem ok?

"I followed the suggestions in the owners' manual and jacked up the Scamp and reduced tire pressure to about half the normal 50 pounds. I spoke with the factory about using the rear jacks and the front hitch jack to raise the trailer enough to reduce weight on the axle and they approved the idea.
First, I lowered the front jack part-way below level. Next I extended the rear jacks so they touched the ground (or were at their maximum extension). Lastly, I used the front jack to raise the trailer enough so that most of the weight was off the axle but left enough weight so that the wheels could not be easily rotated.

You'll have to experiment a bit with how far to initially lower the front jack so that when you finally raise it with the rear jacks extended, you get the desired reduced weight on the axle. Depending on where you're storing the trailer you may have to put blocks under the rear jacks (or front jack) in order to get adequate height to reduce the weight on the axle sufficiently."
Azer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What does the owner's manual suggest? If the same then you should be okay.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A similar discussion came up on another forum, but relating to raising the wheels off the ground to change a tire by using the tongue jack and rear stabilizers. MY opinion, and this is my opinion based on experience with other vehicles, that doing so is not a good idea as it places load or stress on the frame and body that is not the norm. Rather than the weight being on the wheels & axle, you now put it all on the extreme ends of the frame which could possibly flex or bow the frame. Years ago a coworker had his Dodge Dart on bumper jacks with the wheels off and someone opened a door taking away some of the body strength and it actually distorted the door opening slightly so now the door didn't close properly. If I wanted to store a trailer or car with the wheels off the ground, I would support it as close to the normal load points as possible.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Azer as others have mentioned you an can use pieces of wood to block up your trailer if need be.

I know the rear jacks on my Scamp are not very strong so there is no way I would use them to jack up the trailer - in fact the Scamps Owners manual clearly states they are not to be used for jacking up the trailer. Scamp has the Owners manual online both in video format or you can down load the full manual in PDF form. The section you want to watch or read is titled wheels and bearings. Not to mention that the rear stabilizer jacks are not going to be nearly long enough to actually do what you want to do without using some sort of blocks under them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azer View Post
I spoke with the factory about using the rear jacks and the front hitch jack to raise the trailer enough to reduce weight on the axle and they approved the idea.

Lastly, I used the front jack to raise the trailer enough so that most of the weight was off the axle but left enough weight so that the wheels could not be easily rotated.

You'll have to experiment a bit with how far to initially lower the front jack so that when you finally raise it with the rear jacks extended, you get the desired reduced weight on the axle.
The way I read this is that the trailer still has some support from the tires and axle, it is just less support there than if it were setting totally on the axle. The point of this exercise is winter storage while un-stressing the axle and tires somewhat for longer rubber life... and not to totally raise the trailer off the ground. Did I read it correctly? If so then I think that may be OK.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
that is the way I interpret those instructions, to relieve some of the weight, but not all of it!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Stabilizer or jacks. I think they are for stabilizing the camper to keep it from rocking and using them as a jack could harm them. Go to Harbor Freight and purchase some jack stands. They are not expensive and then jack up the camper, insert the stand and then let down. 2 ton will do. Look at Harbor Freight Tools
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
This is a wonderful opportunity to ascertain the effect of length on deflection and possible failure in a load-carrying beam (the frame). I'm happy I won't be conducting it!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sears sometimes has on sale a small floor jack that comes with a set of jack stands. I have three of those jacks, they're nice for when I don't want to drag around one of my big jacks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I used jackstands on the frame next to the tires. I raised the trailer about 3 inches. The low side tire rotates and the high side tire does not. Blocked the wheels and left all the stabilizers down. Seems OK.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Good grief. The frame isn't going to pretzel. Get some jack stands to set under it and move on. You can go partway between the rear bumper and axle if you want.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
The frame isn't going to pretzel.
You sure about that? apparently Scamp isnt so sure add a bit of a Colorado snow load to a trailer being held up by its bumper and you just might find out if they are right on that
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #13

Kansas
Please show documentation where scamp says not to. My manual recommends it be put up on stands to take some weight off the axle while it sits. It does not say where to put them. I'm pretty sure if putting the stands at the back of the camper would taco it, scamp would say so.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Please show documentation where scamp says not to. My manual recommends it be put up on stands to take some weight off the axle while it sits. It does not say where to put them. .
It should be jacked up on the beams not the bumper. I dont believe the bumper is designed to hold the weight of the trailer.

Page 11 of my manual reads "Jacking up the trailer: On the trailer there are two min beams made out of 3 inch by 1 ½ inch tubing, one on each side. Either of these can be used as a point to jack up the trailer. Jack should be placed close to the axle or toward the rear of the trailer, so that the whole weight of the trailer is not on one point. WARNING: The rear bumper jacks are not intended to be used as a jack for changing tires. A scissor jack, hydraulic jack, or a floor jack should be used. ""

Go to the Scamp website manual. Click on Wheels and bearings for a video of correct jack placement.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #15

Kansas
I never said to put them under the bumper. I said you aren't going to pretzel the FRAME if put them at the back. I stand by that. The scamp part you posted says you can put them at the rear.

I can't watch the video as my 5 week old computer went up in smoke.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
That should take the pressure off.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #17

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't think that trailer manuals are intended to tell you everything your are NOT supposed to do. Omitting something, isn't the same as giving an Okey-Dokey.

It seems to me that something that is called a "Stabilizing Jack" is not a lifting jack, nor is the point where it is attacted a lifting point. Although I don't have enough down time in our California winters to worry about winterizing or unloding tires, if I did want to do that, I would opt to lift at the axles and support the frame with suitable blocks or heavy duty stands.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Perhaps if we called them by their correct name there'd be less confusion.

Those are stabilizers, not jacks. They're meant only to stabilize an already-situated trailer. While small adjustments can be made, they're not designed for lifting.

That having been said:
There's no reason whatever to deploy stabilizers in storage- their only purpose is user comfort, and since no one's going to be using it...

Also:
Trailer tires on a unit that's going to be stationary for some time should be fully inflated so as to prevent the malformation called "cupping", a major problem with rubber tires left standing underinflated.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #19

Kansas
I agree with not using the rear jacks for lifting. However, I don't agree for a second that throwing a jack stand under the rear of the frame is going to taco the camper.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #20

Registry
As far as not deploying stabilizers when the trailer is in storage there is a little bit of risk to that should you forget they are not down and decide to go into the trailer and do some work on it. Had a friend go into her trailer without the jacks down and while stowing some items in the rear hatch the back end of the trailer dropped. Not a good thing.