Orbital buffer suggestions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Clear Coat???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Clear coat?!! That is a sort of paint right? Will it peel after say a dozen years or so? I hope somebody jumps in to address pros and cons of clearcoating.

As to polishers, doesn’t the cord mar the surface, say you are on the roof and the cord catches on roof vents and such. I can’t find many cordless models on Amazon, at least nothing that seems durable. I will try and follow this thread. I am tired of putting polish on then having to buff. I also don’t want to pay somebody to do something I can do.

Dewalt has a polisher that has a slow speed of 600 revs per minute, and is highly regarded.

Doesn't the trailer already have a Gel coat?
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes molded fiberglass RV's have a gel coat, and is stronger than paint. Clearcoat, I think is a paint, but I am no expert. But Gel coat is porous and is where the little critters hide. That is, mildew, stains and whatnot. Polymers, waxes, paint fill the "holes" and also enable the shine. Or so I am told.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #23

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Clearcoat is a paint and all modern vehicles have what they call a basecoat clearcoat paint job. The color goes on and it may not be all that shiny because that is what the clearcoat provides, the shine. Eventually the clearcoat will deteriorate from the UV rays of the sun and everybody has seen vehicles that look like the paint is peeling off. By that time its ready for a new paint job. I wax my TV every time I wash it but I only use spray wax. Turtlewax Ice to be exact and it only takes 10 or 15 minutes but it has been protecting my paint job from the sun and its a 17 year old paint job. I would use it on my Casita if it wasn't so much surface to wax so I am using Maguire's marine paint because it lasts longer.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:17 AM   #24

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Clearcoat is a paint and all modern vehicles have what they call a basecoat clearcoat paint job. The color goes on and it may not be all that shiny because that is what the clearcoat provides, the shine. Eventually the clearcoat will deteriorate from the UV rays of the sun and everybody has seen vehicles that look like the paint is peeling off. By that time its ready for a new paint job. I wax my TV every time I wash it but I only use spray wax. Turtlewax Ice to be exact and it only takes 10 or 15 minutes but it has been protecting my paint job from the sun and its a 17 year old paint job. I would use it on my Casita if it wasn't so much surface to wax so I am using Maguire's marine paint because it lasts longer.
Maguires's Marine PAINT? Do you mean MM Wax? I have been using Turtle Wax ICE (TW Ice) the last 3 or 4 washings on the Casita and I don't really see much of a difference between Ice and Nufinish as far as shine, But the Nufinish does seem to last longer. Should Clearcoat be used on the molded fiberglass trailers? My concern is that it will peel off and it would then be expensive to remove and redo.

I have a new molded fiberglass trailer. I would like to keep it fairly shiny (and protect it) as long as possible. The first thing I did was wash it with Dawn Ultra then followed up with BTS (Bow to Stern) protectant, which is not a wax. It says on the bottle to take the wax off and don't use wax again after applying the BTS. It has been on a month with the trailer being both in and out of a barn (the BTS bottle says to apply monthly). When out it has picked up a number of stains from leaves and trees. I do not see that the stains come off much easier when compared to my Casita, on which I have used NuFinish and TW ICE.

Consequently I am back to researching what to use to keep the trailer looking shiny and protected as much as possible, without going too far, such as applying BTS monthly, followed by buffing, as it instructs to do on the bottle. I should have read the instructions on the bottle before I bought/applied it but I did not, instead relying on boat forums for information.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:08 AM   #25

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Yes I meant wax not paint. You should never use dish soap to wash a vehicle but use an automotive soap like Turtlewax Zip wax Car wash soap or something like that which is a lot milder than dish soap and won't strip the wax off the finish like dish soap will. Here's an article about using dish soap on your car or vehicle with an accompanying video.https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...to-wash-a-car/
Old 07-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #26

Tennessee
Thanks Lee, I understand and know what you are saying.

However, in this case I was trying to strip all the wax off, as per the instructions on a Boat forum.

I read the bottle instructions AFTER I had washed the TT down with soap, and AFTER I had applied the first coat, and noticed it did not look right. As I mentioned, I relied on posts from a Boat forum and the BTS website regarding the application of BTS rather than the bottle instructions. The instructions on the bottle state that after cleaning the BTS is then sprayed on and wiped down. This is done 3x and it is buffed. Thereafter BTS is applied monthly, and buffed.

All I did with NuFinish was apply and buff spring and fall, not every darn month.

This is why I am going back to basics and reviewing what I thought I know about protectants and waxes. I will probably use something different when this camping season is over.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #27

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Grant @ Bigfoot highly recommends Meguiars Marine Wax and (in recent discussion with him) to wax it at least twice as soon as I receive it. Thanks to Henrys et al. comments about the porous properties of Gel coat, I can understand Grants comments.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I use Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. It works great, even with a slight gelcoat haze. If the haze is worse, using buffing compound to remove it is needed.

I also use a Mequiar's Polisher/Applicator for buffing the compound on, giving each area a real good go, and when dry a quick wipe with a cotton cloth, and boy does it shine nice.

I am a once a year polisher right now. Once I have more time on my hands I will be doing it twice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #29

Tennessee
Russ, I did not know about Grant's recommendation regarding applying Meguiars Marine Wax 2x after getting the unit. I have yet to leave on our usual 4 month camping trip and already I am looking forward to getting back and putting this polish thing right. Well it gives me four months or so to do additional research.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #30

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I have not yet waxed my Scamp, although it needs it. I have a pneumatic buffer with a 4-inch pad from Harbor Freight, but I don't see it on their website now. It was great for getting in the nooks and crannies of my Model A and is very light and easy to handle. I also have a 10-inch oscillating buffer that I never use and tried to give away to my grandson, but he wasn't interested, and I have a 6-inch Sears oscillating buffer that sees occasional use.

I also have an old Black & Decker 9-inch buffer. It's very heavy and if you're not careful it will burn paint with the lamb's wool pad. Lamb's wool pads are not recommended for modern paints, and I wouldn't use one on a fiberglass RV.

My go-to buffer is a Cyclo, (https://cyclotoolmakers.com/polishers/) developed for polishing aircraft. They're not cheap or light. I bought a vintage one at a yard sale for $3 and totally rebuilt it. There are several used ones on ebay right now. These are serious buffers that will not burn paint.

In my opinion, any buffer will do. The trade off is that with a light duty buffer it will take more time to complete a given task. A heavy duty buffer will accomplish the same task faster, but will be heavier and cost more.

At the moment I have no favorite waxes or polishes.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
0005421_cyclo-model-5-pro.jpg  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 2006
Clear coating

Quote:
Clear coat?!! That is a sort of paint right? Will it peel after say a dozen years or so? I hope somebody jumps in to address pros and cons of clearcoating.

As to polishers, doesn’t the cord mar the surface, say you are on the roof and the cord catches on roof vents and such. I can’t find many cordless models on Amazon, at least nothing that seems durable. I will try and follow this thread. I am tired of putting polish on then having to buff. I also don’t want to pay somebody to do something I can do.

Dewalt has a polisher that has a slow speed of 600 revs per minute, and is highly regarded.
Your car is clear coated, no matter the brand. Some of the clear coats last 40 years. Depends on how much UV they are subject to.
Dick Kasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #32

Name: Norman
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
BTS

Quote:
Another one with high ratings is the (Amazon) DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start. I have a new 25RQ and I may go back to a wax finish. If/when I do I will buy this.

I just put a coat of BTS on my BF. We will be going on a trip of about 2 to 4 months in a couple of weeks. If the BTS does what the mfg hype says it will, I will continue to use it. If it does not, off it comes and I will try something else. As it is the bottle says to buff after the application of BTS (Bow to Stern)...so I may just go ahead and get the Dewalt when we get back home.
Please follow up on how well the BTS does when you return. I assume it is a silicone-based product similar to what Saturn recommended for their automobiles.
Norman Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #33

Name: Paul
Washington
I have a 10" single speed I got from Sears 30+ years ago. It still works for me I just used it to polish and wax my Casita. I will say that I use terry cloth towels after to buff off any marks left behind. I get them from the second hand store for $5 a bag. There is no real easy way to do a good job.
Humblepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #34

Name: Teddy
Trailer: Jayco Designer
California
What is the noise factor of the various polishers? Is the Porter Cable model operation appreciably quieter than other models? If not, who produces a quality built quiet model?
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try this one. Should work well on a Jayco.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 12.46.25 PM.png  
Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #36

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hicks View Post
Please follow up on how well the BTS does when you return. I assume it is a silicone-based product similar to what Saturn recommended for their automobiles.
The company said it is not silicone based, but does have silicone in it.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #37

Tennessee
Sorry that it has been so long but I took my BF in for some work and a solar install and for various reasons it sat in the RV service shop for almost 9 months before I got it back about a week ago. It is going back in this Monday for an electrical problem, hopefully it won't take months to repair.

At any rate I have given up on the BTS protectant thing. I could not get a decent shine and bug splatter was just as difficult to remove as they were when I had a Casita and used various waxes.

I am going to try Meguiar's 21 sealant and then yellow wax and see how that goes. I just bought a Dewalt cordless buffer and will try that also.

Just FYI: I had streaks on the front window of the BF which I could not remove. I tried a number of different things and found that Meguiar's vinyl cleaner takes the stains right out. I then used Windex with ammonia to remove the vinyl cleaner. Once cleaned I am now putting Meguiar's #21 sealant directly on the windows. Hopefully it will help out with the nasty black streaking.

I intend on first using the sealant followed by Meguiar's yellow wax.

Or I intend on doing so should I get my trailer back before Christmas...
Old 09-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #38

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot 1995 B17CB
California
Porter Cable

I've had a Porter Cable unit for years and it works great!
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:16 AM   #39

Name: Paul
Maryland
Quote:
At any rate I have given up on the BTS protectant thing. I could not get a decent shine and bug splatter was just as difficult to remove as they were when I had a Casita and used various waxes.

I am going to try Meguiar's 21 sealant and then yellow wax and see how that goes. I just bought a Dewalt cordless buffer and will try that also.

Just FYI: I had streaks on the front window of the BF which I could not remove. I tried a number of different things and found that Meguiar's vinyl cleaner takes the stains right out. I then used Windex with ammonia to remove the vinyl cleaner. Once cleaned I am now putting Meguiar's #21 sealant directly on the windows. Hopefully it will help out with the nasty black streaking.

I intend on first using the sealant followed by Meguiar's yellow wax.
I am not surprised. BTS is not a miracle worker, though you would think it was based on some feedback I read here and other places... BTS is a polymer sealer, it has no properties that help clean the substrate or get rid of any oxidation. It just seals. Its best used as a final step of a two or three step process.

I like using Meguiar's products because they work as a system. Here is what I do:

If your camper is badly oxidized this is how to make it shine:

Step 1. Meguiar's M91 Power Cut Compound - Applied by Mechanical Buffer

Step 2. Meguiar's M67 All in One Compound - Applied by Mechanical Buffer

Step 3. Meguiar's M63 Flagship Ultimate Marine Wax - applied by hand then buffed off with a micro fiber towel.

You cannot do Step 1 and Step 2 by hand - you'll kill yourself and it won't polish away the oxidation. You'll need to invest in a mechanical buffer and wool polishing pads. The boating "industry" standard for gel coat restoration and oxidation removal is the Makita 9237CX3 orbital polisher. Its a powerful machine that takes a little practice to use. If your favorite color is yellow, Dewalt makes nearly an equally good product in the DWP-849X . I prefer Makita as its been the standard for a long time. After about 30 minutes of use, you will be a pro.

If your camper is new or already in terrific shape, you can get away with using a random orbital polisher and orange foam pad. Griots Garage makes a nice one - the G9. Porter Cable has been the standard until recently and still makes a decent buffer - the 7424XP.

So, for a new or good condition camper you will only need two steps.

Step 1. Meguiar's M67 One-Step Compound - Applied by Mechanical Buffer

Step 2. Meguiar's M63 Flagship Ultimate Marine Wax - Applied by hand then buffed off with a micro fiber towel

Skip the BTS.

You mention Megs Yellow Wax - this is almost certainly Carnuba based and will not hold up like the Meg M63 Flagship Marine formula will. The M63 is polymer based and will have more durability.
AstroPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
if your going to make a career waxing your trailer get a harbor freight yellow scaffold, its worth the money especially if you use their 20 % off coupon. my days of working on my toes on a ladder are over.

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...old-63050.html

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons...arbor-freight/
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot