Orbital buffer suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Orbital buffer suggestions

With a new 25rq expected toward the end of the month, I'd like to wax it as soon as possible. I 'll be hand applying the wax, but would like an orbital buffer/polisher to remove it. Any suggestions on brands and perhaps which pads you have liked to do this?

Thanks

Russ Foster
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought a porter cable 7424xp. So far it's lived up to it's high ratings. I'm happy with it. Wax on. Wax off. Wax on. Wax off.........
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Son-in-law loves his Porter Cable. I bought a Simonize cordless and tossed it when the batteries failed and when I couldn't find the proper size pads ( probably why it was on sale ). Porter Cable seems very popular so I expect pads will always be available.
That's me reflected in the trailer, with a beer, watching him work.
Attached Thumbnails
Steven touch.jpg   Steven polish.jpg  

Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought a orbital buffer. Doesn't work for me. My arms were exhausted after about 20 minutes of holding it UP. I couldn't get up on the ladder high enough to use it at chest level. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I met a fellow last summer that had a new 25rq he told me the first thing he did was take it in and have it clear coated so he would not need to wax it.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Turtlewax makes an electric buffer polisher that is a palm held model and is a 5 or 6 inch pad. Very light weight and it is designed to be held with one hand. Here's a YouTube video someone made. .
Old 07-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Clear coat?!! That is a sort of paint right? Will it peel after say a dozen years or so? I hope somebody jumps in to address pros and cons of clearcoating.

As to polishers, doesn’t the cord mar the surface, say you are on the roof and the cord catches on roof vents and such. I can’t find many cordless models on Amazon, at least nothing that seems durable. I will try and follow this thread. I am tired of putting polish on then having to buff. I also don’t want to pay somebody to do something I can do.

Dewalt has a polisher that has a slow speed of 600 revs per minute, and is highly regarded.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've been using an inexpensive ($20.00) Harbor Freight orbital buffer for the last 4 years for my 17 & 21. It works, and when it dies, I'll just get another one...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Turtlewax makes an electric buffer polisher that is a palm held model and is a 5 or 6 inch pad. Very light weight and it is designed to be held with one hand. Here's a YouTube video someone made.
Humm, weighs 3.2 lbs. Now THAT I could handle! THANKS!
Old 07-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I did some research and the Turtle Wax Polishers are no longer being manufactured. If you want a cordless polisher you might have to buy a polishing wheel for your cordless variable speed drill.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I did some research and the Turtle Wax Polishers are no longer being manufactured. If you want a cordless polisher you might have to buy a polishing wheel for your cordless variable speed drill.
Yeah, I found that out when I couldn't find ONE anywhere in Portland, OR
I did find this one, but it's only single speed. I'd really like to find one that's lightweight and I can use one-handed, so I can hang on to the ladder with the other!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKE...lisher/1207867
Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Another one with high ratings is the (Amazon) DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start. I have a new 25RQ and I may go back to a wax finish. If/when I do I will buy this.

I just put a coat of BTS on my BF. We will be going on a trip of about 2 to 4 months in a couple of weeks. If the BTS does what the mfg hype says it will, I will continue to use it. If it does not, off it comes and I will try something else. As it is the bottle says to buff after the application of BTS (Bow to Stern)...so I may just go ahead and get the Dewalt when we get back home.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

Texas
Registry
Here's some available at Walmart but they look like a different brand name. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...b90f34f4443f0d
I have the Turtle wax one and used it to wax my trailer with Maguire's marine wax and just wiped it off with a micro fiber towel. I have never used any other kind of wax that wiped off as easily as the Maguires wax
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
Turtlewax makes an electric buffer polisher that is a palm held model and is a 5 or 6 inch pad. Very light weight and it is designed to be held with one hand. Here's a YouTube video someone made. .

I'm WAY too clumsy to wrap the cord from an orbital buffer (even a small one) around my neck and climb up on top of my Bigfoot and start buffing.

Recipe for disaster!
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I'm WAY too clumsy to wrap the cord from an orbital buffer (even a small one) around my neck and climb up on top of my Bigfoot and start buffing.

Recipe for disaster!
Or the basis for a really good Darwin award!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #16

Texas
Registry
I agree I didn't do that when I waxed my Casita but having a buffer that I could hold with one hand while on my step ladder is sure a lot easier than trying to hold a great big 7 or 9 inch buffer and safer too.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
For our Little Joe, we followed the instructions found in this forum recommending Zep Hardwood Floor Polish and it worked beautifully. No buffing or polishing.

5 years ago and still looks new. I attached before & after pictures - hope they come up.

. . . . . Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Little Joe Polish.jpg  
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-Linda View Post
For our Little Joe, we followed the instructions found in this forum recommending Zep Hardwood Floor Polish and it worked beautifully. No buffing or polishing.

5 years ago and still looks new. I attached before & after pictures - hope they come up.

. . . . . Fred

This?

https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Hardwood-...SIN=B00FY8LXTK
Old 07-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While the Harbor Freight buffer I linked to is designed for 2 hands, I've used it with one. It weighs 4.3 pounds...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post

or this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/zep-wet-loo...SABEgITavD_BwE

Tags
bigfoot