OK, first let me say that I just bought a Burro
day-before-yesterday, and although it seemed immaculate, I'm now in the middle of fixing/polishing the Egg.
I have a 10" Random Orbital Buffer (ROB) that I got at Harbor Freight a few years ago. It was about $15 and extremely lightweight, works very well. I had been using it on my daily-driver '97 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor and it keeps that car looking better than factory new.
It's working well on the Egg, too. I've been using Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and that product line seems very compatible with both the car and the fibreglass trailer. It's only a question of making enough time to do the job properly. ;)
I have a couple of problem areas on the trailer that are going to need special attention, and that's what I'd like to talk about.
First, the vinyl BURRO
logos on both sides look faded and seem to have stains from the gelcoat decomposing. The ROB wasn't making much headway, so I decided to go another route with those. I chucked a 4" linen buffing wheel (available at any hardware store, and most auto parts outlets) into a drill motor and loaded it with tripoli polishing compound.
The type of polishing compound that you use on these buffing wheels usually comes in stick form, and several different grits are available, ranging from coarse to extremely fine. Each type has a different color, tripoli being blue. Tripoli is a fine compound, but not the finest.
Using the tripoli wheel, I polished out the vinyl logos. They came clean after just a few minutes, then I changed to a different linen wheel (don't mix compounds on the same wheel) and used rouge - red colored - extremely fine compound to finish up.
The logos look brand-new, except for the small nicks in the vinyl that
you'd get over time anyway.
The second problem I found was that all the windows
are plexiglas. Most of them were stained on the outside, and scratched and dirty on the inside. Normally, when you encounter plexiglas in this condition, you replace it.
While using the linen wheel on my car's headlights (those of you who have older Fords will know about the foggy yellow headlight problem!) I've achieved fantastic results, so I removed the sliding parts of each window and took them into the cool house to work on them. The fixed parts of the windows
I'm working on in the cool morning hours...
Using the same tripoli and rouge polishing compounds that I used on the logos (and my car's headlights) I've managed to return those old plexi windows
to 99%-new condition.:crazy-ii