outside door hinge ss bushing rebuild - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
The outside door of my '81 Scamp was really loosey goosey at the hinge pin holes. Hit a bump and it would swing open to the hiway and some things just disappeared.
So I happened to have some ss tubing that lets new ss bolts through exactly. The outside of the tube was a weird size-it fit my letter "V" drill exactly. So I drilled out the aluminium hinge hole that size. I just kind of guessed at the angle to clamp it for drilling. It dosen't really have to be perfect. Then hacksawed one ss bushing for each hinge arm and tapped them in. Door swings like a bank vault now with no more play.
I have extra ss tube I anyone wants to try this. I''l send a 2 inch piece which is more than enough. Gratis.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
As long as the bushing doesn't move with respect to the aluminum hinge, only with respect to the SS bolt, this sounds like a good solution -- I'm sure the bronze bushings are designed to wear before the hinges do -- BTW, Scamp sells a repair kit with bolts, bushings and springs (parts list downloadable from their site).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
As long as the bushing doesn't move with respect to the aluminum hinge, only with respect to the SS bolt, this sounds like a good solution -- I'm sure the bronze bushings are designed to wear before the hinges do -- BTW, Scamp sells a repair kit with bolts, bushings and springs (parts list downloadable from their site).
The holes in the cast aluminum hinge arms were very worn and out of round. They had to be drilled oversize to make them round. The letter size "V" drill is a tight fit in the aluminum so now there are ss bushings rubbing on ss hinge pins (bolts).
The old hinge arms had no bronze bushings unless you call the bronze balls bushings. I call them thrust bearings.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Jim, the existing hinges and thrust bearings don`t work like a regular butt hinge in a door....I believe that they are designed to change the angle of the screw that holds the hinge together as the door opens and closes.....this makes up for the curvature of the trailer body...if you watch the action of the hinge when it`s in use, there has to be play in the parts that the hinge pin goes through and it seems that this is why there is clearance between the hinge pin and the aluminum castings......the door rotates on the thrust ball and the hinge pin merely prevents the door from hopping off the bronze balls and the small springs take up the preload between the hinges and ball....still unclear where you actually bushed the door hinge.....was it only in the portion where there is aluminum casting? ......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #5

Benny I bushed the hinge where the pin goes thru the al cast hinge arm,. That's where the hole gets out of round and needs a a harder material to resist friction. The ball has little lateral wear.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
I agree the bushings are there to prevent binding w/door movement....Don Meyer(mech Engr)
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Don, are you talking about the bronze thrust bearing/bushing or the SS ones that were put in to tighten up the hinge? ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #8

The alumimum arms have no bushings that's why they wear out of round. So I added ss tube bushings to wear against the ss hinge pin bolts.
I still offer some extra ss tubing to anyone that wants to try the project so their doors don't sag and fly open. No charge.