Owners & opinions on Armadillo's Backpack? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Owners & opinions on Armadillo's Backpack?

We own a 13' Burro, but are considering upgrading to allow for camping in cold climates and a bit more room. While I've had my eye on an Oliver, the new Armadillo Backpack looks very exciting, in terms of offering the build quality and functionality we're looking for in a trailer!

Does anyone on the forum own a Backpack? ... Not finding any when searching profiles, though I see a few fellow Oregonians have expressed interest in this model. - I'd be curious to hear thoughts on it from an in-person or owners perspective, esp. re. transporting bikes on the trailer.

I'm excited to visit their plant in BC when conditions improve, but for now, I'll keep dreaming from afar. Thanks for any input!
Rebecca D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I don't own one, but I did tour a couple a the Boler 50th rally. There are definitely some great ideas built into them, and some good work done too. The owners are really good guys. If I was looking for a trailer that size, they would be high one the list to look at getting.

Next time I drive through Enderby, I would like to stop and look at their stuff there. It is on the route to the Escape rally in Osoyoos for us, so would be a quick and easy stop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not many in circulation yet, and of course even fewer have shown up here. Seems like younger folks tend to gravitate toward newer social media platforms. I found a reference to a FB group in this thread.

One other option is to reach out to Armadillo to see if they have a referral program. Many of the other factory-direct companies have one to connect potential long-distance buyers with nearby owners for a demo. There's often a cash incentive if the demo results in a sale. Of course referral programs may be on hold for safety reasons, too.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Are they still requiring a 75% down payment? That would be a no-go for me, right out of the gate.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I looked back because I remember a thread on these a while back and an employee had posted. Basically, he joined, posted that he was available for questions, then never posted again unfortunately. I really like the Backpack.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't own one, but I did tour a couple a the Boler 50th rally. There are definitely some great ideas built into them, and some good work done too. The owners are really good guys. If I was looking for a trailer that size, they would be high one the list to look at getting.

Next time I drive through Enderby, I would like to stop and look at their stuff there. It is on the route to the Escape rally in Osoyoos for us, so would be a quick and easy stop.

They are now making them in Armstrong. Beautiful trailers, well made and good people.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.P View Post
They are now making them in Armstrong. Beautiful trailers, well made and good people.
They must have moved. The pamphlet I am looking at says 205 Brickyard Road Enderby B.C. Though both towns are close together, I better check before I actually go there. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #8

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
They must have moved. The pamphlet I am looking at says 205 Brickyard Road Enderby B.C. Though both towns are close together, I better check before I actually go there. [emoji4]
And will it be this year? Do you have news that there actually might be an Escape rally because Beth is anxious to attend even if it's only us Canadians. That is if she ever makes it back from the US.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
And will it be this year? Do you have news that there actually might be an Escape rally because Beth is anxious to attend even if it's only us Canadians. That is if she ever makes it back from the US.

Adrian
Karl told me a week or so ago that there will not be one this year, just no chance for the border to open by May.

If you guys were thinking of heading west, we should plan to get together somehow, somewhere. Here's to hoping that things really get moving in the right direction soon.

I know there are a few Canadians planning to go to Osoyoos anyway. We could be into that too.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Production is now in Armstrong. They still have people in Enderby; Repair I believe. I'll drop down and ask them.
Martin in Armstrong.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input! It would be great if they have a local referral program. I'll look into it & the FB group.

I think the only element of the Armadillo that gives me pause construction-wise is the plywood floor. It sounds like these folks come to the table with plenty of experience in FG trailer builds and have lot of innovative ideas. I wonder why this element remains.

Are there advantages a plywood floor offers, other than being inexpensive & providing some insulation? ... Based on my experience repairing rotted wood floors, this isn't an the ideal floor material long term, (though perhaps issues only arise when the shell starts leaking). I'd be curious to hear other's thoughts on floor construction, or perhaps I can find an existing thread that gets into it...
Old 02-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I tend to agree on this one!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca D View Post
Are there advantages a plywood floor offers, other than being inexpensive & providing some insulation?
It is an easy and quick way to get a flat floor out of a moulded shell. It allows the cabinetry build to be easily attached too. Not saying at all it is the best material, but a good plywood is a great thing to build with. This does come from a builder who has used 1000's of sheets of plywood or OSB for floor sheathing.

In order for it to receive water damage of any kind, first there needs to be water present to do so, and that should be taken care of regardless of the flooring. In 12 years of Escape ownership this has not even come close to being an issue. Curious as to what you would prefer to use.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #14

Montana
Seems like there are new ideas coming out, but really the only debates I've seen are the full tub fiberglass trailer vs open bottom. Someone will prove me wrong but I think as of now, all fiberglass trailers have wood floors. Maybe not Oliver? The difference is that trailers like Scamp and Casita have a wood floor open to the road. Bigfoot etc have a full fiberglass tub so the bottom is also fiberglass, but the floor inside is still wood.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
The difference is that trailers like Scamp and Casita have a wood floor open to the road.
Does Casita do this too? I knew Scamp did.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp may be the only current manufacturer with an open wood floor. Casita, Escape, and many others have a bathtub floor. Bathtub floors are just a fiberglass skin; wood provides the structural strength. There are many variations: OSB or plywood, glassed-in or open on top, pontoons for drainage or not.

Oliver, Happier Camper, and Lil Snoozy have a structural composite floor, no wood.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp may be the only current manufacturer with an open wood floor. Casita, Escape, and many others have a bathtub floor. Bathtub floors are just a fiberglass skin; wood provides the structural strength. There are many variations: OSB or plywood, glassed-in or open on top, pontoons for drainage or not.

Oliver, Happier Camper, and Lil Snoozy have a structural composite floor, no wood.
Thanks Jon for pointing out HC as all composite floor ,not only is the floor water proof in the HC1 ,it is designed with a drain in the floor For easy clean up . Having restored many fg trailers over 20 years the one thing inherent on almost all early trailers is floor rot to some extent on most and extreme rot on a few namely Burro as they had a very poor designed floor .
Many think by covering the plywood with fg it helps preserve the ply but it actually induces rot as the water will be trapped .even a new trailer can have severe damage if a water leak is not addressed .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #18

I love having Canadians around to provide extra info on FGRV companies to the north, esp. with travel restrictions in effect! Also, I appreciate the input on flooring materials.

To Jim's and Mike's points, my negative experiences with wood floors has been the result of poor quality plywood intersecting with a leaky shell. - Obv. a recipe for rot!

Thanks to Jon for providing more info on the various floor construction methods & a list of trailers with composite floors. I knew about Oliver, but had overlooked Happier Camper.

That drain design you mention is very appealing, Mike! If we weren't in the market to upgrade to 4 season trailer, we'd be looking at the HC Traveler, too. I think HC is also doing an excellent job with innovative design.

I'll be curious to see if Oliver decides to rethink their interior look and electrical a bit with these newer entries to the market, though with such high demand I see little incentive to do so. Something to be said for "tried and true", but I really appreciate the recent diversification of the mid-sized FB market. - Trailers between 14'-18' are the sweet spot for my needs.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca D View Post
I love having Canadians around to provide extra info on FGRV companies to the north, esp. with travel restrictions in effect! Also, I appreciate the input on flooring materials.

To Jim's and Mike's points, my negative experiences with wood floors has been the result of poor quality plywood intersecting with a leaky shell. - Obv. a recipe for rot!

Thanks to Jon for providing more info on the various floor construction methods & a list of trailers with composite floors. I knew about Oliver, but had overlooked Happier Camper.

That drain design you mention is very appealing, Mike! If we weren't in the market to upgrade to 4 season trailer, we'd be looking at the HC Traveler, too. I think HC is also doing an excellent job with innovative design.

I'll be curious to see if Oliver decides to rethink their interior look and electrical a bit with these newer entries to the market, though with such high demand I see little incentive to do so. Something to be said for "tried and true", but I really appreciate the recent diversification of the mid-sized FB market. - Trailers between 14'-18' are the sweet spot for my needs.
Rebecca not sure of your needs for a four season trailer maybe you plan to camp in Canada’s tundra or what we call Edmonton or Winnipeg and I get the need for it but there are many trailers that would camp comfortably in 90% of the lower 48.The HC1 and HCT (and I’m not trying to sell you) would be more than comfortable with the truma central heat ,insulated shell and option for sprayed Vipeq under floor.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #20

Montana
I knew I'd learn something if I made a statement like that.

I agree that wood is not ideal. I think it's felt like a necessary evil for a long time, but that time is clearly over. There's really no way to avoid rot with a wood floor, at least not with current appliance technology. You have to cut holes, and holes let in water. I know the wood floor under my fridge, up against the lower vent is completely rotted, starting to crumble.

These are just like owning a house, with any house problem amplified and sped up. Old houses also get wood rot, appliances fail, etc. But yeah, campers see a lot more moisture exposure than houses, so there's more motivation to come up with alternatives to wood in a camper than a house.

Tags
armadillo