Paint - auto or marine? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Paint - auto or marine?

Please school me on proc and cons of each paint option.

I have a friend with capacity to spray auto paint, but I am unsure if I should repaint with auto or marine paint.

One pro for marine as far as I can tell, is for future touchups etc. It would be easier (especially if I use factory coloured paint) to DIY small fixes in future.

What are other strengths/weaknesses of each?

Thanks
Gerald G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I have done both and prefer auto 2 part sprayed on compared to roll and tip marine.
Auto is more money, more prep but the finish is much better and in my opinion lasts much longer.
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:31 PM   #3

Name: Murray
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
BC
Registry
I had our Trillium painted with Endura heavy equipment paint over 20 years ago and it looks the same as when it was painted and it's been outside almost all that time. It's incredibly tough stuff but it takes some precautions to spray it safely. Check with a body shop that works on highway trucks - they are also most familiar with fibreglass work.
Chilliwack Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
Any consideration to Gel Coat that was the original finish? I am restoring a Compact II that I've fiberglassed over sever areas that previously had cutouts that are no longer desired. The trailer has original gel coat with no paint. From what I've been able to gather is sanding the old gel coat and rolling, brushing or spraying on new gel coat.
Roy Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:18 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hedahl View Post
Any consideration to Gel Coat that was the original finish? I am restoring a Compact II that I've fiberglassed over sever areas that previously had cutouts that are no longer desired. The trailer has original gel coat with no paint. From what I've been able to gather is sanding the old gel coat and rolling, brushing or spraying on new gel coat.
Taken from https://advancedepoxycoatings.com/gelcoat-and-topcoat/

“What Exactly is gelcoat and topcoat?
Gelcoat and topcoat are types of coatings that are applied to the surface of composite materials, such as fiberglass or carbon fiber, to protect and enhance their appearance. Gelcoat is the first layer of coating that is applied to a mold before the composite material is laid down. It forms the outermost layer of the finished product and provides a smooth and glossy surface that is resistant to water, UV rays, and impact. Gelcoat is typically used in the marine industry for boat hulls, decks, and other parts that are exposed to the elements.
Topcoat, on the other hand, is a layer of coating that is applied over the gelcoat or directly onto the composite material. It provides additional protection against abrasion, chemicals, and fading, and can be formulated with different levels of gloss, texture, and color. Topcoat is commonly used in the automotive and construction industries for vehicles, buildings, and other structures that require a durable and attractive finish. Topcoat can also be used in the marine industry as a final layer over the gelcoat to enhance its appearance and longevity.
Why should you go for gelcoat and topcoat?
Protection: Gelcoat and topcoat provide a protective barrier against water, UV rays, chemicals, and impact. They can help extend the lifespan of your composite materials and keep them looking new for longer.
Appearance: Gelcoat and topcoat can enhance the appearance of your composite materials by providing a smooth and glossy surface. Topcoat can also be formulated in different colors and textures to achieve a specific look or match existing finishes.
Versatility: Gelcoat and topcoat can be used in a variety of industries and applications, from boats and cars to buildings and sculptures. They can be customized to meet the specific needs of your project.
Ease of use: Gelcoat and topcoat are relatively easy to apply, either by hand or with spray equipment. They can be sanded and polished to achieve a high-quality finish.
Overall, gelcoat and topcoat are excellent choices for protecting and enhancing the appearance of your composite materials, whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional in the marine, automotive, or construction industry.“

I have used TOPCOAT from https://www.totalboat.com/products/w...-topside-paint and it worked great on my Casita. I used both methods of brushing and spraying and preferred the spraying for larger repairs as it can be feathered out and buffed to match.

Good Luck!
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint