Painting my Little Darlin' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft 1985
Registry
Painting my Little Darlin'

I am anticipating getting to see my 13' U haul, Little Darlin', Wed/Thus at the auto paint shop where she is getting a Paint job....once again the exterior will be semi-shiny creamy tan, as close to the original as I could get. Can hardly wait!!! I cleaned it twice, the whole anti-oxyidation with the scrubbing powder, then coat after coat of polish...twice was enough for me. I am too old for such stuff... Don't want to pay for it but will, then off we'll go, my Element and the U Haul all beautiful once more. Watch for my rig, will be on the road from Millersburg OH to Cook Forest State Park, W.PA, 10/10/11 time frame. Ridge Camp, the state run campground, pet loop, as a dog pack travels with me.....I would love to see other fiberglass campers....
Head out and enjoy. J.S.L
J.S.Lahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Sounds exciting! But why did you put polish on it before painting?

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Registry
Back to you Matt

Believe me the polish was Last Year, this summer I couldn't take it anywhere until recently, it was such a mess I had to make a decision...understand? JSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Sounds exciting! But why did you put polish on it before painting?

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I do. I'll be very interested in how it turns out. I was planning to use some leftover West Marine boat paint on mine, but I'd be tipping it out with a brush and roller and that's a lot of space to cover. There aren't a lot of parting lines to take advantage of for stopping and starting, either.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Registry
Smile Back to you Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I do. I'll be very interested in how it turns out. I was planning to use some leftover West Marine boat paint on mine, but I'd be tipping it out with a brush and roller and that's a lot of space to cover. There aren't a lot of parting lines to take advantage of for stopping and starting, either.

Regards,

Matt
I think I am supposed to begin my reply at the quote..? Anyhow: The paint job is EXCELLENT!! I am really pleased. The job is so much more complete than I could ever have done, or had done by friends, etc. All the frame, bumpers, jacks, hitch, rims, etc was sand blasted and repainted. The surface is now silky: all traces of old tape, pin stripes, cracks and crazing, etc, is gone. They took off all the lights, gaskets and all, painted complete around them and reinstalled. I am going to find some cleaner to shine up the gaskets around the windows and start on the inside. You know how it is when you paint one area: all those around it look suddenly drab!!! I will send you some pics in the next couple days, delay due to me having issues with too many pics on my memory card and need to go to Wal Mart, print and save what I want and clean the card. I thought of doing this paint job my self but not for long!!! Jan
Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
You mention that they took out the lights, but did they also take out the windows or just mask around them? I would love to see a photo of the finished product
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #7

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I had my CT13 painted with acrylic automotive paint, two coats and she is beautiful. Also an accent color added to match my Jeep. Don't think you will be sorry.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painting