Painting stinky slinky tube? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Painting stinky slinky tube?

I have a new Scamp on order. I have read various suggestions about having the factory leave the sewer hose tube off. Comments?

One objection to it is that it quickly yellows. Has anyone had any luck protecting it from the UV damage by painting it when it was still new?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I personally think it looks ugly even before it yellows, and it's too small for the size hose most people find they need.

I like the 5" vinyl fence post carriers folks have made and attached discreetly under the rear cabin or bumper. Now that I might paint- black, to make it even less noticeable.

All that said, if you do want the front carrier, then yes, painting it while new is a good thing. While you're at it, you can do the same for the escape hatch cover on the roof (if that will be included on your build).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We removed the tube from the shell and I mounted it below the frame on the front section below the battery using oversized hose clamps. It was still easily accessible while out of the way. I hated all those holes drilled into the shell and was happy to plug them up. If you can simply also Scamp not to install the tube, you might be able to find a better place to mount it without putting another hole through the shell.

You can see a picture of the finished placement here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-72514-22.html
Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
. Has anyone had any luck protecting it from the UV damage by painting it when it was still new?
I haven't painted that part but the roof vents take paint well and they yellow pretty quick too.
Basic prep, clean to remove molding release, scuff pad and I use Tremclad spray paint on them. Stinks a bit more but sticks good.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I have a new Scamp on order. I have read various suggestions about having the factory leave the sewer hose tube off. Comments?

One objection to it is that it quickly yellows. Has anyone had any luck protecting it from the UV damage by painting it when it was still new?
Yes, you could clearcoat it using automotive grade spray paint, or you could paint it any color including white using fusion spray paint.

Personally I think a fence post looks ... well, like a fence post
If you choose that route, it would look better if you bought a black one.
My solution was to build a bumper for the stinky slinky as shown below...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 005.jpg   DSCF0013.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Besides the yellowing, the stock hose carrier is too small and too
short to hold a better and longer hose. I know the RhinoFlex hose
that I bought would never fit in there.

As always, YMMV.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes there is a paint that matches nearly perfectly to my 3 yo Scamp. I think it would be close on a new one as well. But here's what I did to mine and as others, I KNOW I would now design a different carrier for the hose after owning the Scamp 8 yrs. I just hate to pull this one and leave the stupid holes! So instead, check out this link and you can see what I used and it is NOT a special "plastic" paint. If you will notice, the pics are 2013 so the paint is going on 5 yrs old now and it STILL looks better than the original tube. The ONLY thing, the water inlet needs to be repainted because of the constant opening/closing with the lever.

And there ARE sewer hoses that will fit in the holder. This kit here I bought but dont use the two "caps" on each end and it will fit in the tube perfectly. It's 10' and does the job 95% of the time. I do carry the extra in a special box on my truck (with the caps) just in case. Wash out the slinkies thoroughly and you wont have a problem with smell.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rev...e-Kit/23636862

For those that dont want to see the pics of the paint, it's Rustoleum "Biscuit" Epoxy Appliance paint.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57678059525801
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
You may want to consider getting a paint that is formulated to be used on plastic, such as Krylon. I used it on some plastic parts on my Casita and it has held up well. As an experiment, I left one Bargman light cover exposed and it has yellowed. The Krylon painted items have not. I painted over the silicone(?) sealant around some of the fixtures in order to protect it from UV rays , and the paint has held up well there also.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I painted my propane tanks cover with Krylon Fusion in Dover White a few years ago. Still in great shape and now it matches my trailer.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #10

Name: MJ
Trailer: Park Liner
GA
Darral T. - The paint job looks good. Just clarifying, Biscuit was the color you chose? I think I want to get some and do the same.

BTW - I am outfitting a 2013 Park Liner that is new to me...I have never owned a travel trailer. I want to replace the sewer hose and am not sure what the most folks find most helpful, a 5 ft or 10 ft hose. I'm guessing a 10 ft hose but thought I'd toss the question out before I buy. A 10 ft hose just sounds so long for such a small trailer.

Thanks
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
IMHO the stinky slinky tube in front of the Scamp is disgusting. It's NOT germ-free and you may walk by it frequently. Think of a child's nose, probably right at that height too. Besides, it's FUGLY on a cute trailer. It's one of the first things I removed off my Scamp. Fence post holder or a commercial (longer) tube mounted at the rear is a better choice. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Darral T. - The paint job looks good. Just clarifying, Biscuit was the color you chose? I think I want to get some and do the same.

BTW - I am outfitting a 2013 Park Liner that is new to me...I have never owned a travel trailer. I want to replace the sewer hose and am not sure what the most folks find most helpful, a 5 ft or 10 ft hose. I'm guessing a 10 ft hose but thought I'd toss the question out before I buy. A 10 ft hose just sounds so long for such a small trailer.

Thanks
You need at least 20 ft., trust me all camping grounds setups are different. I'd go with 2 10 footers, or a 15 ft. and a 10 footer. The size of the trailer has nothing to do with being able to reach the dump spot at your camping site.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #13

Yes I used the "Biscuit" colored paint by Rustoleum- got it at Lowes. I also painted the water inlet that matched as well. So far, the paint STILL looks good and is not flaking or anything...NOR yellowing! I'm satisfied with the paint results to keep the trailer from looking 100 yrs old!

I use the following sewer hose system. It is a 2-piece (2 x 10's) hose kit that I have used for YEARS now without one problem. It's a better-grade hose it seems than some without the tears that happens so quick in the other hoses I've used. Thicker "mil"? And YES, I have had to link the two together before!! Trust us, there's NO "Standard" on how far the sewer drains are from your site in campgrounds.

BUT, I also installed a small plastic "Tool Box" I got from Walmart in my truck. I have now done it a little differently than what shows up in these pics as I can loosen one wingnut from inside then remove the box...MUCH easier and quicker. I put one of the 10' hoses in this box- the hoses have sealing caps which are SUPER for the box use. And the other 10' hose fits nicely in the painted tube. I also keep the other outside accessories- "Legos" leveling blocks, chock blocks, etc- in this toolbox.

Hope all of this helps...see the two links below for the hose and toolbox. Glad I could help a little.

SEWER HOSE:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Rev...44&athena=true

TOOLBOX:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57626349564330

Quote:

Thanks
Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #14

GA
Wow, Darral T, did you screw the tool box to the back wall of your truck? Interesting idea. I have already discovered that I probably will need to get something for the pickup soon. It your toolbox keep items inside dry?

T.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #15

GA
Donna D, did removing the tube leave a hole in the side of the f/g trailer?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #16

GA
Rdickens, you said the tube would not hold your sewer hose because it is too long...how long is it? The only place right now I have to store the hose is in the tube...no bumper storage.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #17

It's a '99 Nissan Frontier with a bedliner. I got tired of removing the bedliner and came up with a nifty idea that has a "specialty" (an alum bracket bolted to the bed that protrudes through the bedliner with a "stud") that installs and wingnuts from the inside the toolbox. I'm a machinist by trade so that mod is would be a little tricky for some. Anyway, the box cant be easily removed without opening the lid to which I keep padlocked when traveling. If anyone wants whats inside that box THAT bad...well...they can just rip it out...lol. I DO usually keep my Craftsman cordless in there. I use it to raise and lower the modified Scamp jack.

But yes, the tool box has a "Labyrynth seal" type lip that keeps water out. NEVER had a water issue in that box. Just make sure the "slinky" is sealed before putting it in there. This box was bought at Walmart. It doesnt stick up so it doesnt draw alot of attention and it takes VERY little room and is the most durable "reinforced" plastic toolbox you'll ever find.

I've had it 8yrs now. If you read the info on the box in the pic, it's a "green" box made with recycled materials.

Quote:
Wow, Darral T, did you screw the tool box to the back wall of your truck? Interesting idea. I have already discovered that I probably will need to get something for the pickup soon. It your toolbox keep items inside dry?

T.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Donna D, did removing the tube leave a hole in the side of the f/g trailer?
No because I plugged the rivet holes with Marine epoxy. Four small plugged holes looks far better than that gross tube... IMHO.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Instead of painting.. how about a camo wrap?
Attached Thumbnails
camo tube.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #20

How about a visual...
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  

Tags
paint, painting