Peeling Zep Wet Look - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #21

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
When we purchased our 2003 25' Bigfoot it appeared it had never been waxed. It was about as dull and flat as it could get. I first spent about $30-40 at a high end, wand wash cleaning the camper as best as possible, including going up on a ladder to wash the roof.

At our seasonal camp site I washed the camper again using Zep's wash product. After getting a clean, clean camper I diluted Zep's stripper and lightly applied it to the outside of the camper. The roof was much worse and had read that the roof needed more preparation. I used the diluted stripper one or more times to get the extra dead skin off the top.

Once the Bigfoot was properly prepared and all product rinsed off, I used Zep's wax three or four times. It was a perfect day (sunny, about 75F), took around 15 minutes per application, and that thin layer of Zep dried within that 15 minutes. Just put the Zep wax in a spray bottle, lightly spray an area, and use a waxing mitt to spread the wax evenly. No buffing needed!

Two reasons for the flaking: inadequate cleaning/prepping and/or applying too thick a layer of Zep.

We sold the Bigfoot a year later and the finish was still perfect. A year and a half after our sale I received a call from the lady who purchased our Bigfoot informing us her husband had died and would I help her sell the camper. It sold to the first person to show up. The shine was still as brilliant as the day I applied the Zep!

I'll be applying Zep to our 2018 Escape as soon as it needs waxing. I've seen a couple of other Zep fiberglass campers and know that Zep works.

Between the custodian at the school I worked at and Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. I got the information that allowed us to successfully use Zep products.

Some people seem to love waxing. I don't.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #22

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
The attached photo shows what happens around the entire top curvature of my 1997 Scamp 13. Last fall, I scrubbed with Barkeep's Friend and a scotchbrite pad, applied 6 coats of Zep Wet Look, following instructions all the way.
The top and all four sides of the trailer look good. Only the curved part of the body adjacent to the roof has this problem.
I would think maybe UV rays are somehow the problem but then the south-facing side would be worse.
The trailer is stored outdoors in Minnesota. I do use a broom to sweep snow accumulation off the roof.
Is the problem with my gel coat do you think?
Thanks.
I've noticed the same thing on my BF. I just started putting extra coats on the radii. Haven't figured out the physics of why this happens

Also, I quit using the stripper and sealer. I just re-coat with the wet polish every spring after using BKF and washing good. Important to wait to have higher temperatures and lower humidity for it to come out good.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #23

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
It's all in the prep!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote