Plastic Scraper for Fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Spring sprung around here last week (went from plowing snow away from the Boler to dodging mud to get to it) so now it's warm enough to get out and work on the trailer. By coincidence, a recent Lee Valley catalog showed a plastic scraper blade which seemed like it might work for removing the various kinds of stuff previous owners have plastered around the windows on my Boler, without scratching the gelcoat.

In previous attempts, the only way I have found to reasonably cleanly remove the silicone around the windows was to carefully slice it flush with the trailer body surface with a sharp knife. A metal scraper scratches, and softer scrapers don't peel the silicone off cleanly.

Here's what Lee Valley is selling: the ScrapeRite razor-style blade (25 plus a little plastic holder for $10), shown with a $3 blade holder and the more common $2 style, both holders from the painting tools section of Home Depot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrapingTools_526x375_90.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2019

Here's the holder, extended for blade change, with the regular single-edged steel blade on the left, and the plastic equivalent on the right; then the assembled scraper, and a side view of the beveled blade:

Name:	holderAndBlades_453x462_90.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2020
[attachment=2606:attachm
ent]

Now the test... the silicone was removed with a single pass of the scraper along the body, then one at right angles to that along the window frame. I cleaned up the lower part of the area with a few seconds more scraping. I didn't see any scratching, but another method may be required to get the surface completely clean.

Name:	before_514x481_90.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2023

The ScrapeRite blades come in three hardnesses: the only ones in stock were the general purpose (colour-coded orange), which I am guessing are the appropriate ones anyway.

This is only a first test, but the plastic blades look like a reasonably-priced and comfortable-to-use (with a suitable holder) alternative to less effective soft scrapers, harder-to-hold improvised materials, or gelcoat-scratching metal tools. Now for a few hours of finding out if they prove up to their promise!
Attached Thumbnails
scraperComplete_424x917_90.jpg   after_646x481_90.jpg  

Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Hmmm! Another example of the fine job silicone does.
Several summers ago I was doing some prep work on my neigbours Trillium getting it ready for the road. Things like replacing the the clearence lights because the moss had fillted the lens entirely. I wished I had taken pictures of the rear window though.

I guess it had been leaking, so some one decided to use black silicone a least 1/2" thick and 3/4"around the alum. frame. It didn't look like it had been applied with a caulking gun but a putty knife. I guess they tought the thicker they put it on the less it would leak.

I cleaned every bit of it off, what a bear of a job than, and then ran masking tape about 3/16" away from the frame (An old trick I learned in the body shop) and than applied clear silicone bead with a caulking gun. While it is still soft I wet my finger and made a nice fillet to the frame. Spit works the best of anything. You wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then carefuly peal the tape off. You end up with a very neat clean seal.
However my friend leaves his Trillium sitting out in the weather all year around so I know the silicone is not going to be perminent.

I am not trying to get off the track her Brian, I think you might have finally found the right tool for the right job. I used scraps of Plexiglass strip as scrappers which do little damge to the gelcoat. Keep us posted on your progress.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Definitely worth looking into, Brian. Thanks for the info. I have probably used more various and sundry things to scrape off silicone than anyone but that is one that I haven't seen before. The various plastic scrapers I used just aren't up to the task. I always end up ruining every fingernail that remains. What I found works the best is plastic cutlery. Broken spoons from the cheap sets are good for stubborns spots, knifes from the better quality make better cutters. I had such a mess on my trailer when I got it that I thought I'd never get it all off. Every single window and rivet was gobbed with it. He had still not stopped all the leaks which I found and fixed.

You'd have had to see it to appreciate it. This picture just doesn't do it justice. My neighbor called it a "deer lease caulk job."
Attached Thumbnails
caulk_1.JPG  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ahhh the wonders of silicone...NOT! Clear doesn't stay clear, etc.

I use a plain old windshield ice scrapper (and my right thumb nail). The ice scrapper does a reasonable job and I have plenty of them around the house/vehicles.

Gotta try the plastic knife and spoon idea tho...got lots of those too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Con

I forgot about the plastic windshield ice scrapers, they work to. I guess you guys down in California wouldn't know what they are, HeHe
Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Did somebody delete something? I didn't see anything posted by anybody in California...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I forgot about the plastic windshield ice scrapers, they work to. I guess you guys down in California wouldn't know what they are, HeHe
Quote:
Did somebody delete something? I didn't see anything posted by anybody in California...

Ditto for Texas
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
Con

Come on gang, laugh it up a little. We still have a foot of snow and it is still freezing every night. I still need my scraper! I brought the Boler out of the shop yesterday and this morning it was all white.