Plug into shore power during storage? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Plug into shore power during storage?

We have a 2016 Scamp 16' Deluxe that we store in a pole barn. Is it safe, preferable, or even reasonable to leave batteries connected during off season, and to plug my shore power cable into a 15 amp circuit? Will this properly maintain our battery? Or are we better off detaching the battery from the trailer, and using a battery tender? Or?

Thanks,
Bill & Mary
LDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Yes that will work pretty well.
However, you don't have to remove the battery to use a battery tender, just remove one post(or not) and add a battery tender for storage, Saves several months of wear on the converter each year.
Another effective way is to thoroughly clean the top of the battery, give it a full charge,check the fluid level, remove both posts and and cover the entire top of the battery with plastic (like a shower cap). you can then store the battery for several months without significant loss of power.

The reason most batteries lose power is an external load of some sort. Oddly enough, even a slightly dirty battery top can conduct voltage between the posts, so cleaning and sealing the top will preserve the charge for months on a good battery.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yes that will work pretty well.
However, you don't have to remove the battery to use a battery tender, just remove one post(or not) and add a battery tender for storage, Saves several months of wear on the converter each year.

Another effective way is to thoroughly clean the top of the battery, give it a full charge,check the fluid level, remove both posts and and cover the entire top of the battery with plastic (like a shower cap). you can then store the battery for several months without significant loss of power.

The reason most batteries lose power is an external load of some sort. Oddly enough, even a slightly dirty battery top can conduct voltage between the posts, so cleaning and sealing the top will preserve the charge for months on a good battery.
Thanks! I did neglect to say that we're in the tip of the mitt in Michigan, where winter temperatures can get deeply below 0°.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #4

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDog View Post
Thanks! I did neglect to say that we're in the tip of the mitt in Michigan, where winter temperatures can get deeply below 0°.
The battery won't freeze as long as it is charged.
If you do take it out and store it indoors, you won't really need a maintenance charger if it is clean, charged and covered when you put it on the shelf.
It gets pretty cold here as well.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Batteries left connected during storage discharge for several reasons. The main reason is that the batteries will continue to power the CO, gas detectors etc. and over time this will discharge then. Also, these batteries will self discharge over time. A discharged battery will sulfate its plates which will degrade its performance. These batteries use sulfuric acid which is actually an oil and doesn't freeze, even when mixed with equals parts water. As the battery discharges, much of the acid is converted to water which will freeze. As this water freezes it expands causing physical damage inside the battery and permanent damage.
Fully charged batteries resist sulphation and have sufficient acid to prevent freezing.

Your unit likely has a "trickle charger" to maintain your battery when connected to shore power. Some units have a smart charger which regulates the charging current at a correct level and may also have sufficient output to operate lights and other trailer options at the same time.

The best way to maintain the battery is to keep it properly charged. Flooded lead acid batteries will require the addition of distilled water, AFTER CHARGING. If your unit has a smart charger you can leave it connected to shore power, however your battery must be connected to your unit and this means your gas detectors are also energized. This may shorten their life depending on their construction.
I suggest disconnecting the battery during storage and using a smart charger to maintain it at a correct level of charge. Debris on the top of the battery can cause a short between the terminals which will discharge the battery. I would recommend against covering the top of a flooded lead acid battery with plastic as they liberate explosive hydrogen gas. I've seen two of these explode, distributing pieces and acid over a 30 foot radius. This may not be a problem with other types of batteries.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

IllAnnoy
Registry
Nice place to get every possible view point...Ain't it?!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Keep your battery happy

My storage method since 1985 is simple and works.
First stop by Harbor Freight tools and buy a battery maintainer. They cost very little. It is a simple device.
When you put your RV into winter storage disconnect the positive line on battery.
Connect the positive and negative lines from the maintainer to the battery
then plug the maintainer into AC power.
When spring comes disconnect maintainer and reconnect battery’s positive
terminal.
Store maintainer where you can find it next winter.
Check fluid level in your battery and go camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I leave mine connected and charging all year, but I did purchase a $25 charge wizard add on for the progressive dynamics converter in the scamp which turns it into a 4 stage charger/maintainer.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #9

Name: Paul
California
My 2018 13' Scamp came from the factory with the Progressive Dynamics 9200 which includes the "charge wizard" that Gompka mentioned. You may want to check which converter your 2016 Scamp has installed.
twinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #10

Michigan
Thanks folks!

I'll get in there and check to see what charger they installed in 2017. In the meantime, I'll make sure the top of the battery is clean, and I have it on my Deltran 022-0185G Battery Tender Plus Battery Charger and Maintainer.

See you on the road!
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 PM   #11

Name: charles
Trailer: 21 Bigfoot
Oregon
pluged in

bigfoot 21, pluged in all year when home, use the fridge as extra, keep an eye on the battery level, no problems.
blkbry is offline   Reply With Quote