Plugging in trailer at home - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
This exact problem happened to a fellow Casita camper friend of mine. He went to visit his daughter who had an "electrician" put in a 30 amp plug for him to hook up to when visiting. Well it fried just about everything in his system when he tried to plug in and sparks flew. What happened? The verdict came in that it was 220 not 120.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I wouldn't set too much blame on the electrician. Most 30 amp circuits are used to power electric driers, hot tubs, welders and the like, most of which use 220v, not 110v AC. 30A 110 appliances are pretty rare.

As far as I know RVs, on the other hand, use 110v hookups.

Electrical wiring in your home isn't beyond the capabilities of a knowledgeable and experienced do-it-yourselfer. I'm no electrician, but I've installed everything from 220V 50-amp circuits to a hot tub on down to 110v 15-amp outlets and lights, all done with building permits, inspections, and sign-offs.

When it comes to home electrical wiring the key words in the last paragraph are "knowledgeable" and "experienced." Unless you have both and are willing and able to go through the electrical permitting process, I'd suggest calling in a professional to do the job. In this economy it should be easy to find a pros willing to take on a small job, too.

Working your way through the permit process is important in two ways. First, inspectors are doubly careful about inspecting a do-it-yourselfer electrical project, insisting that it be done in a competent, professional manner and likely catching any errors you may have made. Second, once the project is signed off you can take that permit paperwork to your insurance company or future home buyer if any questions come up about your work to prove it was done right.

Which brings us back to being knowledgeable and experienced. Building inspectors have little patience for people who don't know what they're doing.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don't over-think this.

Go find a 30 amp to 15 amp dog-bone adaptor at Wall-Mart (or wherever you like to shop for RV supplies) and plug your trailer into an ordinary household power outlet. This is plenty sufficient to charge your battery.

I leave my Scamp plugged in all the time when at home, and I even use this to run my A/C when a 30 amp RV outlet is not available. The only caveat I can think of is to be sure to check the water level in the battery monthly.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Don't over-think this.

Go find a 30 amp to 15 amp dog-bone adaptor at Wall-Mart (or wherever you like to shop for RV supplies) and plug your trailer into an ordinary household power outlet. This is plenty sufficient to charge your battery.

I leave my Scamp plugged in all the time when at home, and I even use this to run my A/C when a 30 amp RV outlet is not available. The only caveat I can think of is to be sure to check the water level in the battery monthly.

-- Dan Meyer
I agree with Dan.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
My question is (being the rookie that I am) -- What's a dog bone adapter? A description would help.
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bruce,
Good question which may serve to help educate others also.
A dog-bone adapter kind of looks like a dog bone in shape. One end may have a male 50 amp plug, and the other a female 30 amp socket connected with 6" to 8" of about 5/8" thick (typically yellow in color) electrical cable. I've seen adapters which eliminate the cable portion and it's all one molded unit.

Hope this helps,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
A dog-bone adapter kind of looks like a dog bone in shape. One end may have a male 50 amp plug, and the other a female 30 amp socket connected with 6" to 8" of about 5/8" thick (typically yellow in color) electrical cable. I've seen adapters which eliminate the cable portion and it's all one molded unit.
Several Pictures are worth thousands of words HERE