Portable Garage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Hi,

I知 trying to decide how best to protect my newly acquired scamp from the elements when I知 not using it. I'm in Minnesota so snow as well as sun is a concern. I知 considering one of these round top portable garages. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on this type of product for this purpose or is a cover/shelter even necessary if it is waxed on a regular basis?

http://www.shelterlogic.com/garages/round/

Thanks!

Cheryl
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cheryl, if you have not already done so, you may want to check with the local building authorities before you purchase. Some areas have bylaws that prohibit this type of structure being put up on your property or they have rules regarding were on the property it can be placed. Someone in our neighbourhood put one up in his driveway and he was after a couple months ordered to remove it. Some districts are stricker than others.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
That one looks like it would doo the trick. We have one of the ones that CostCo sells and are happy with it. Because of its shape, snow MUST be kept off the roof part and it must be fairly well anchored to protect it from the wind storms we have here in B.C.

The one you posted about mu$t be rather $pendy though i$n't it? Ours was about $250 Canadian but closer to $300 by the time I did all the wind precaution upgrades and such. I must say, if/when I need to do it again, I will look up that one and see if its available in Canada too...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Carol, you must not then live in Sunny Surrey, LOL ......
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #5

Carol, Thanks, I will definitely check with the city first. I've seen another one around here so I'm pretty sure it will be ok.

Doug, It is a bit spendy, but I've found one on sale for 369.00 which I thought wasn't too bad, but it is definitely more than I would prefer to spend. I may check out Costco and see if I can find a better price.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler Honey
Cheryl,
I have not as yet protected my trailer. But I have protected a tractor and an old sticky tin trailer. The trailer had a similar, although not as nice, cover, as mentioned being sold at costco. The wind is a Major consideration. Be sure this thing is tied down well. Having coffe cans full of concrete to tie to each leg will NOT keep it in place. Also, the tarps do have a limited life. I've heard everything from 2-5 years.
I have a cover over my tractor that is a very similar concept, but is clad in aluminum siding. It did cost a bit more. But I am also comfortable that it will last as long as I do. Hopefully as long as the tractor does. But the tie downs are still absolutely necessary.
The advice to check local regs is good. The portable garage that is sided with aluminum is considered a permanent structure in some areas and is taxed as such.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #7

Are these fiberglass trailers fine if left out and not covered, but waxed on a regular basis? I'm wondering if I could skip the shelter altogether. I just don't want to wish a few years from now that I done something to protect it if it makes a difference.

Cheryl
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Carol, you must not then live in Sunny Surrey, LOL ......
ROFL Amazing how the rules change by just crossing a couple of bridges! We are not even allowed to park a trailer or boat in a driveway that faces the street during winter months (although I think they recently relaxed this a bit - if your loading and unloading etc it can stay for a few days) and in the summer months you have to actually move it x number of times.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Cheryl,

We bought one of the roundtops from Menard's for our Scamp. We have had it up a couple of years now. The other day when I went inside I noticed water dripping down on the Scamp. Condensation built up and came down. Kind of funny. Our Scamp also was put away very clean and there is a lot of dust on top. But, I like this better than having the Scamp sit outside in the weather. Would be nice to figure out a vent system. Now I have the door open so air can circulate.

When we took down an old garage we bought another roundtop for riding mower, gas cans, garden cart, etc. Our friends bought one too and we helped them put it up. We had learned from our first that the process was a bit easier with some additional planning. These storage units will probably last as long as we need them. If we were younger and planned on living here a long time I would want to put up a good second garage. These cheap additions work for us. We live in the country and do not have any problems with neighborhood regulations.

Nancy from northern MN
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Cheryl

One of your questioms delt with the real need for a cover....We don't cover ours.

We also don't wax it on a regular basis....we wax once a year with a good quality wax.

I've seen a great many pictures of rigs left out in the snow dring the winter season right here on this site. Where we live we don't get an abundance of snow, but quite a bit of rain. I need to clean black streaks off the 5er each spring....I spray with "30 seconds" and use a hose to wash it off. No real work involved in that process.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Scamp spent 24/7 outside for several years, and every year for several years I had to spend an entire Spring day scrubbing the outside clean of black/red mold and green moss. Colorful to say the least. And this was AFTER I waxed it twice a year. Then, I bit the bullet and bought a metal carport. What a huge difference! Granted it gets dusty now and every once in a while a drop of water drips down from the roof of the carport...but the difference in how I spend that sunny spring day is A few minutes to hose off the dust...and away I go. I also live in WINDY EAST COUNTY....so the carport is anchored in the ground with 3' foot ground anchors every five feet.

I 100% agree with checking on local building authorities...and quite frankly if you put one up in your driveway I would be glad to NOT be your neighbor living directly across the street. They don't exactly add to the curb appeal of any home. My carport is beside the house and behind a 6' fence.

As an FYI for those that have these structures with the white or silver tarps. I have a friend, that when the tarps finally gave out, purchased metal siding from a Big Box Hardware store and screwed that to the powered coated frame....it really wasn't all that expensive. Perhaps you would prefer the corrugated fiberglass panels?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
I bit the bullet and bought a metal carport. What a huge difference!
An added advantage of Donna's metal carport is the excellent ventilation that comes with an open-sided structure. Plus, the open sides make it much easier to get in and out of your trailer. If you or guests stay in the trailer while it's stored, the open sides will make it bright and cheerful inside.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
...and quite frankly if you put one up in your driveway [b]I would be glad to NOT be your neighbor living directly across the street. They don't exactly add to the curb appeal of any home.
Why is it with these things, that the poles last practically forever, but the best you can hope for with the tarp is 2 years, maybe 3 years tops? And they do NOT sell just the fitted tarps, you have to buy the whole thing over? Or, If you do just buy a generic tarp, there is no way to make it fit right?

My next door neighbor has a 2 car garage behind his house, and a long single lane driveway beside the house, connecting to the street in front. He has 2 of these tents end-to-end in the driveway. My property borders this driveway, with my bedroom windows facing it, 5 feet from the open wrought iron fence between us. I get to listen to the tattered old fabric and the ill-fitting generic tarp flap in the wind, but I keep my blinds closed on that side so I don't have to look at it.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I too would prefer the metal carport, and if we were going to need it for more than 10 years I would go for that. But, we only spent somewhere around $300 for the ugly roundtop. It would be nice to have open sides to walk to the door from. Our roundtop footprint is 12 feet and the sides slope a bit. The Scamp fits fine, but one guy stands by the door at a time. Also it is possible that open sides wouldn't work as well with MN snow. Before we got the second roundtop we put the riding mower and garden cart in with the Scamp. Couldn't put all that junk in an open carport.

We have 10 acres and ours isn't too awful for the deer, bears, other critters to look at. I would not have one in a city or neighborhood where the neighbors would have to look at it, unless I could put it behind a privacy fence or something. Our friends were able to hide theirs better than we can.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #15

I hadn't thought of the metal carport option. I had in mind that I needed a full enclosure, but maybe I don't. Fortunately, I also park the trailer on the side of the house behind a privacy fence. So, anything that is put up will be on the side of the house or further back if more width is needed. I also thought this might be a good time to do it since the house next to me is vacant.

What is this "30 seconds" that is sprayed on?

Cheryl
Old 04-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I hadn't thought of the metal carport option. I had in mind that I needed a full enclosure, but maybe I don't.

What is this "30 seconds" that is sprayed on?
I'm glad mine is not fully enclosed Cheryl. There's no electricity out there and I think it would make it extemely dark...even in the day time.

A metal single car carport runs about $800 (put up) around here in Portland, OR

Here's some info about the 30 Seconds stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #17
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm with Donna on the open one, for all the reasons she stated. Mine gets really dirty when the wind blows (often here), but like she said, it's just rinses off. The other day, I was out there in the rain and I was able to keep the door open. It's really nice.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #18

I think I really like the idea of the open sided carport. It will provide shade, keep the snow off and allow plenty of ventilation and hopefully last for more than a few years. I think it sounds like a great solution. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
UV rays kill fiberglass. It shortens it's life by quite a bit. If you plan on keeping your trailer for 20 years, you should get it out of direct sunlight.

Make sure your portable garage will hold up to snow loads and extreme wind.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #20

Trailer: 1980 Bolar 1700
Hey folks,

Take a look at these guys.
http://www.creativeshelters.com

I have used them for other pojects and have been happy with their products. You buy the fittings and the tarps you need and the pipe from your local hardware store. Their fittings fit standard EMT and Fence pipe sizes so you can pretty much create any custom shelter you want. I have a standard 10 x 20 over the Boler beside the garage but ended up with a big rip in the roof from a heavy snow load this year. Also the bunggies don't seem to hold up in the New England cold. The four season garages use a heavier tarp and the continuous ground to roof to ground tarp will handle the load better.

Since mine is right next to the garage, I am considering using parts to turn it into a lean-to type so the All of the snow and water goes away from the house. For those of you with spare time on your hands you might talk a look at this bow house structure. The truss system is very strong for the light weight. http://www.microcruising.com/shed.htm
Rob S. is offline   Reply With Quote