Portable On-demand Water Heater! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 05:27 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Twenty minute shut off timer. Do you have teenagers?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Thes small water heaters are the way most of the world gets hot water for domestic use assuming that they have running water.
I mounted mine on that hand truck with a LP tank you talked about to test it.
Works great!
I am looking for a good way to mount it on my trailer to protect it and have it close to the point of use.
My bath and kitchen is in the front so I am looking into welding brackets onto the tongue with all of the rest of the stuff living up there.
I am also looking into the possibility of installing it inside since it does have a vent for the output fumes. If this is done then combustion air needs to be brought in as well.
So many options and "opportunities".
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are specific requirements for operating gas burning water heaters and "Boilers" inside of inhabited spaces.

These inexpensive devices, for the most part , are not designed to be used as such. Between the heat and the carbon monoxide they generate, they could become dangerous to "Plants and other living things".

There are a few with provision for a flue/vent but again, for the most part, they are designed for exterior use only. That said, there is never a shortage of peeps that consider themselves smarter than all of the design & safety engineers on the planet and do whatever they want.

Over the past few years there has been untold talk about these, but very little reported action.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #24

4 Gallon Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I would imagine that if you run at a low enough flow rate, you would have what amounted to an on demand water heater.

BTW: I have never seen a 4 gallon water heater. Could you please post the make and model number?
No Problem (except I forgot to answer your question)

It is a Suburban SW4D, electric start, 4 gallon water heater. At one time there was also a 3 gallon version that was made to use in VW campers. I was sold two of these ($199.ea) by the VW parts house "The Bus Depot". Apparently they bought out the end of a run from Suburban, but my RV supplier has occasionally seen them available.

I have seen one 3 gallon (SW3D?) and the seller wanted $500 because they were for VW campers and were "rare".

In todays market $199 each is almost GTWH (Grand Theft Water Heater)

Old 07-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #25

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Twenty minute shut off timer. Do you have teenagers?
Not any more!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #26

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I have a question about using one of these. It looks like it will only work with water under pressure, is that correct?

And when you are dry camping, for instance, and using your water tank, you only have pressure if you have one of those metal ones? (My Kencraft had a big metal tank, and then a little water pump)

Lil Bigfoot just has a big plastic tank... no pressure. Any other ideas for getting warm water (except those Coleman black bags... I do have one of those)?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #27

IF you have a pressure demand pump, meaning turning the water faucet on/off controls the pump running, you may be able to get enough water pressure by plumbing in an outside water port and an outside LP tap to power it. (Most of these are not designed for inside use.) Search the topic, there are 100's of posts on this topic and only 1 or 2 actual users.

I don't think this is an answer for your camping style. If you want hot water for an outside shower, look up the ZODI camp shower system. I have one and it works great with the pop-up trailer in our fleet. It is also possible to install a 4 gallon water heater under the left bed/dinette seat of the Lil'BigFoot., see my earlier pics.

If it's just for washing up and dishes, a kettle works great, did that for years. I even used two at a time. LP gas lasts a Loooong time when using the stove.