Possible trillium--no title, no serial # - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
If the guy does not let me use his tag, I would theoretically have to buy it, get a bill of sale, drive a few hours to my DMV, after having had a local officer fill out a form verifying it's roadworthy, and get the tag. Now, I don't know this guy. What if he took my money and then the trailer got "stolen"? I'm just thinking of worst case scenarios..
I doubt he will let you use his tags - I've never let anybody take mine when I've sold a vehicle to them. But the bill of sale IS sufficient. I'd recommend typing up 2 copies before you go (or see if he will) and you each sign as seller/buyer - and each take a copy with you. In the end, you'll each have a signed copy stating the date/sale/price - and he couldn't claim 'stolen' after that. It also gets you a grace period with your insurance company (call them first to let them know you may be towing a trailer home) and the highway patrol.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hi Donna D, others weighed in the price was too high. It was kind of obvious. $11,000 for a 1995 scamp with no shower? When at the very same time in the same area a 2006 Casita with shower was only $11,500?

As far as the overpriced topic, I believe all of us were talking about the (Possible Trillium, no title, no serial) not any other sale you were part of. I know for myself, I was asking because you stated you thought it was overpriced. And I think everyone else was on the same page. ( maybe not! but I think so!)

Seller's have the right to ask what ever they want! You as a buyer don't have to purchase. I just have a issue with this conversation at all, because it may upset another member. It's unfortunate that you and that seller didn't make a deal, but lets keep that topic neutral in order to avoid people being upset.

Re: the title situation
It's great that you have investigated and found that a rv title is possible. I guess my question would be, doesn't your state allow a 3 or 4 day transit tag in order for you to get it moved?

So how have others who travelled and bought a trailer dealt with that, just curious?

Dealt with what? The tag issue? Seller's scam's, seller stealing radio's? overpriced? Oh yeah, plenty of people have dealt with this kinda stuff.

Thanks.

Again, I hope you find your perfect trailer!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Don't Dis the Ensolite!

Quote:
It would appeal to me if it was in good shape basically, because it would have no mold issues. Especially old insulation like that. I have chemical sensitivities.
My 1978 Trillium has the original "elephant skin" Ensolite. I think you discount it too quickly. I believe that if it separates and things start living between the insulation and the fiberglass, then it may become unusable. But the stuff in my trailer has no signs of life, and appears to be soundly glued to the fiberglass.

It is soft, warm, scrubbable, and strong. Sort of like soft stucco. There was lots of cleaning necessary when I purchased my trailer. We scrubbed the walls for hours, well,... mostly my eldest son who had conveniently ruined one of the few dates that my wife and I get. I won't go into details.

The point is, that even after 34 years, that stuff is still solid. Also, the glue that would be required to install any other insulation system will off gas for some time.

I would suggest that you take a look at Trillium 4500's, but I may be biased. They are the cure for, “two-footitis”, if you find a 13' trailer a bit too small.

By the way, TRILLIUMS ROCK!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My 1978 Trillium has the original "elephant skin" Ensolite. I think you discount it too quickly. I believe that if it separates and things start living between the insulation and the fiberglass, then it may become unusable. But the stuff in my trailer has no signs of life, and appears to be soundly glued to the fiberglass.

It is soft, warm, scrubbable, and strong. Sort of like soft stucco. There was lots of cleaning necessary when I purchased my trailer. We scrubbed the walls for hours, well,... mostly my eldest son who had conveniently ruined one of the few dates that my wife and I get. I won't go into details.

!

David, I think from what I read, it was that the Owner of the trailer who had already removed the ensolite. But not sure if I read that correctly, but hopefully Jen will see you post and respond. Sad, cause I too believe it's cool stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #25

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Hi, he removed the ensolite already.

Donna, I was just giving an example of an owner overpricing; nobody bought, they lowered it to an acceptable price in terms of the market. My comments on price were already on the other thread anyway. I'm just saying being overpriced may not be a deal killer because over time an owner may become more realistic.

I also have another question for you all and btw thanks for all the help. When you find one out of state you have to get a temporary tag there right? What is required for that in terms of documents and price? IE a permanent tag in state of residence you bring various docs including proof of residency.

What is a two footer?

Oops while I was writing this the guy called me back after I told him that a police officer has to inspect the trailer before I take it on the road. He said no way is a cop coming anywhere near his house or stuff and the trailer is no longer for sale.

So probably there is something illegal with this trailer.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh my! Even is there is nothing illegal about the trailer specifically the seller may be shady or have a warrant etc. Good call and running from that one.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Robin Quote: <quote> Seller's have the right to ask what ever they want! You as a buyer don't have to purchase. I just have a issue with this conversation at all, because it may upset another member. It's unfortunate that you and that seller didn't make a deal, but lets keep that topic neutral in order to avoid people being upset. <end quote>

Robin you have raised a good point. Sellers have have the right to ask what ever they want and buyers have the right to decline. Thats the way it has been since the beginning of time. IMHO it serves no good purpose to broad cast the negotiations.

IMHO a fiberglass trailer that has had the interior wall covering removed is probable going to have condensation, heat and translucent issues. May not be the most comfortable trailer to camp in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #28

Georgia
I agree, Carol. This is all old news. Gerry and husband came down to $7500 over a month ago-- the price is on here and other places. Nothing new about it and of course I refrained from telling details when I was speaking with her.i figure it sold by now, who knows. I didn't follow up as being told not to come on the day i had actually packed and was on the road to her was frustrating though I know others have had similar experiences.

Well, sigh. Goodbye trillium. The lack of title and the seller's very rural location and avoidance of police is not something I need. Oh well.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #29

Georgia
PS I did search this site about insulation and agree. I think Frederick has an uninsulated one and gets some ceiling condensation plus noise.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Hi, he removed the ensolite already.
That is what I thought. To bad, cause like David pointed out it can be repaired.

I also have another question for you all and btw thanks for all the help. When you find one out of state you have to get a temporary tag there right? What is required for that in terms of documents and price? IE a permanent tag in state of residence you bring various docs including proof of residency.

For us, the PO allowed us to use her tag and then send it back to her. I just showed her proof of insurance etc. She was a doll and it all worked out. But I had already checked and all I needed was to get a tranist tag (paper tag, good for 4 or so days). Easy Breeeeeeezy!

What is a two footer?

HUH? more explanation, it's not clicking for me!

Oops while I was writing this the guy called me back after I told him that a police officer has to inspect the trailer before I take it on the road. He said no way is a cop coming anywhere near his house or stuff and the trailer is no longer for sale.

So probably there is something illegal with this trailer.
Like so many have questioned, is this trailer worth it? hmmmmmmmm? Time to move on and let it go. The right trailer will come along when the time is right. Promise you, not all sales of used product are this bad. Hang in there and when the time is right it will all come together.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #31

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question I have a couple of questions

In California, the License Plate stays with the trailer for life, so buying a used trailer and towing it as soon as you buy it is hassle free. Police generally are unconcerned unless they have a stolen vehicle report that they're investigating. When I lived in New York the License Plate belonged to the Owner, and is removed upon sale and the new owner has to supply their own plates.

Which system does Georgia use?

The previous owner of my Compact Jr. also stripped it out and registered it as a Utility Trailer. Subsequently, the PTI License program made the distinction between a utility trailer and a Camp Trailer moot - for License plates they're treated the same. My Compact Jr. is still classified as a Utility Trailer.

Does it matter in Georgia whether it is Licensed as a Utility Trailer or a Camp Trailer?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #32

Georgia
Hi Frederick, I only know what I've read on the Georgia DMV site, and what I was told when I called.

1) I would have to bring a specific form and have a police officer inspect the trailer and sign off on it. I think that's just to be sure it's what it is and roadworthy. I would have to present that to the DMV.
2) I was told if I had no tag, I would get ticketed, and that if the PO wouldn't let me use his tag, I'd have to take my bill of sale, that officer signed form etc, and go all the way hours away to my DMV, get a tag and go all the way back and get the trailer. Or I'd get ticketed on the road. So I'm sure the tag doesn't stay
3) They do seem to distinguish, in that a utility trailer, which is something open or covered to haul equipment for recreation or business (which at this point the trailer actually was, since the insulation and kitchen was removed), is not the same as a travel trailer or camper. And they seem to have somewhat different requirements. However, anything older than 1986 and under 2000 pounds did not require a title, which is probably why the PO was able to even have it etc.
4) It's kind of moot now, except I learned a lot by researching. Because this owner is probably doing illegal things. For all I know, the trailer is hot. Or the owner himself is hot because he was adamant and quite angry over the idea of a cop coming anywhere near. I was supposed to buy the trailer, and go drive it home, and then do whatever I wanted, which is simply not legal in Georgia. In Georgia, you must have the officer inspect.

So by mentioning that to him this morning, in what I thought was a routine call saying we'd be there in two hours, I saved myself from some trouble I'm sure. I was already warned by y'all and another friend of mine in Georgia that I should not buy something without a title. However, I do think that would have been okay with an honest owner.

Last night I thought I had two trailers in mind to see this weekend. Now I have none! :-( I hate that!!! The other is a cloud in Fernandina Beach 4 1/2 hours from where I am at the moment. I texted him last night, he called this a.m., but already someone from Sarasota was on their way to buy it, the price agreed on. (((

When well priced these things go in a few hours, and I don't have the energy or possibility to always see something the moment it's listed and drop everything to drive hours.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #33

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
IMHO a fiberglass trailer that has had the interior wall covering removed is probable going to have condensation, heat and translucent issues. May not be the most comfortable trailer to camp in.
My Fiber Stream never had insulation nor wall covering. On cold mornings there is sometimes very fine condensation on the ceiling; but I often have to touch it to tell if there's condensation or not. The windows have worse condensation behind the closed window shades. My electric cube heater, and the Propane heater can heat the trailer to unbearably hot on a cold night. On the West Coast he 5000 BTU window air conditioner cools the trailer well up to 95 degrees outside, struggles a little between 95 and 105, and is totally ineffective above that in very low humidity. It might work better in a high humidity climate. Heat/Cooling is not an issue. The interior is not raw fiberglass; it is painted and opaque.

With the leaking issues it had when I first bought it, I was thankful there wasn't insulation or wall covering! I didn't have to gut it, I just fixed the leaks and went camping. YMMV
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #34

Georgia
That's cool, Frederick. Appreciate the info though I doubt most owners will have removed insulation.

I'm kind of disappointed, this was not far away, but obviously I was dealing with a somehow illicit owner. He wasn't going to get anywhere near me once he heard a cop had to inspect it. I could practically hear him slam down the phone...
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You could look into campers with the fiberglass interior, i.e. Burro, Uhaul, Eggcamper, Companion, and likely more that I can't think of right now.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #36

Georgia
Hi CindyL, the Egg's are all so new and rarely for sale. Re: burro's, I also see them and uhauls rarely, but occasionally. Let me ask, how do you determine if water leaked *between* the walls in these?

I don't mind the insulation on scamps and casitas (ratfur, or carpet, although one scamp I saw had really "mod" blue carpet all over with swirls--never saw one like that!). These are ones I've seen while camping, and owners proudly showed them off. I figured in terms of the Trillium, the insulation had just gone bad, but maybe as others point out, it could have been cleaned, anyway he removed it. Also trilliums are kind of rare in this area. Scamps and casitas are most common.
Thanks guys! Sad today.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How about a 70s Boler? Ad is nearly a month old, but may be worth looking into, interior looks clean: 1970's Boler 13' | Atlanta, Ga area. | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #38

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I don't know. I decorate; I don't repair.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #39

Georgia
I missed that one!

Wow, Donna, I totally missed that one and I'm looking every day. I'll call though its a long time ago. Thanks. Don't know how I missed this right in my back yard. ARGGGG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
How about a 70s Boler? Ad is nearly a month old, but may be worth looking into, interior looks clean: 1970's Boler 13' | Atlanta, Ga area. | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #40

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
What is a two footer?
If you are refering to my two-footitis comment, I was refering to the voice in our heads that says, "if only I had a couple feet more".3

The 4500 is about 2 feet longer then the 1300.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title, trillium