Preventing mold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Preventing mold

I did a search but didn't find any real answers. Maybe that's because there aren't any! I am wondering how people who live in very wet climates prevent mold from forming in their trailers. I noticed spots of mold this year on various surfaces in my trailer. I'm also wondering if the rat fur liner in a Scamp could harbor mold? I really want to nip this in the bud. Lysol spray supposedly kills mold and mildew, but it stinks so bad. Does anybody know any magic here?
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Ventilation seems to have worked for me over the years keeping my boats mould free. I think that the worst thing that you can do is put a plastic tarp over a boat or trailer and trap the moisture.

One extra that I do when I have access to power is use a single light bulb, mounted in a tomato juice can to create a convection current under a slightly open vent. Some people use a dessicant type dryer which also seems to work. But I think the most important things to do is provide ventilation and keep the interior dry.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My trailer is buttoned up and winterized from right after the Fall NOG in October until right before the Spring NOG the last week of April. During hibernation, I use Dri-Z-Air (classic). I place the canister inside a plastic tub and put it in the sink. I've also be known to put another near the door. After every camping trip, I place the cushions on their sides to help with through ventilation.

This works for storage, but David are you looking for a 365 day solution? here's an entire thread. I see Linda and Taylor run a Sears Kenmore mini dehumidifier... requires electricity: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ate-27269.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Trillium
My Trillium moulded very badly the first winter I had it. It was buttoned up fairly tight with only minimal ventilation. After a long job of cleaning up all the black stuff I went with a small fan, a 100W open light bulb, and most of the jalousie windows open a touch. No more mould, and we get very damp, cool winters here. (the rest of the seasons too, but hey, we got TREES!)

The little fan has been running night and day, all year long for over three years now. What a fine little device.

100W bulbs are getting hard to find, but I did get a lot of them a while back when the local Home Depot was blowing them out.

Simple solution to a problem that was a real bear to clean up from.
David Swinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Thanks for the replies and the link to that thread! I think I will try some combination of fan and heat. The fan is easy using just a muffin fan. The mold I'm seeing is not so much on fabric areas as on hard cold surfaces. Even the windows had some. Most of the cushions and bedding have been removed. I think the moisture is just condensing out on those surfaces. The only vent I can open at all is the fantastic fan since it's in a Maxx-Air unit. The air here just becomes liquified, and we also have high winds. I can't crack any windows. 70-80 mph is common and a few weeks ago we hit over 110 before the power went down and shut off the wind meter. Keeping anything dry without a solid heat source is a challenge.
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
You may find that running a small dehumidifier would help, if you can rig a way to send the water out through a drain hose. Helps on our boat.
Circulating fresh, non-humid air, is the key. The moisture has to go somewhere.
In the trailer, we crack the two vents just a little, run the fan on a thermostat, and that's enough in Florida during the non-camping months, if I remove the humidity holding textiles and paper.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
For clean up I use Mold Control. Not much odor and no bleach issues.
Shop 32 Oz. Mold Control Spray at Lowes.com=
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Most of the time I have kept the overhead vent cracked open a smidgen AND the kitchen window cracked open. Apparently it allows the air to move a little easier by convection. Never any mold or condensation inside. Plenty of "green slime" outside, however (not to be confused with the "pink slime" they are now taking out of our food. I'm sure I'll miss it.)
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I use this type 100 W heater with fan device, very safe. West Marine has a similar one but more expensive.
RV Accessory Store - RV TOY STORE - 1-800-334-5533

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Does anybody know any magic here?
Concrobium

Concrobium Mold Control Removes, Eliminates and Prevents Mold and Mould at Home | Concrobium Mold Control
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
go to your local marina. this is a problem boaters face all the time. thay havr bags , or boxes of disicant that keep the moisture absorbed so no mold mildew problems.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote