Propane & Electric vs Just Electric - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #21

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Snoozy doesn't list a propane option in the future. It's a new company, and they have to feel their way along. More and more are asking for propane, and as a viable company, they would have to recognize the demand..
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wouldn't call people who post reservations about an all-electric trailer "Snoozy haters". I think they are only trying to make sure you have all the information before you plunk down a lot of money.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post

For the Snoozy haters

Lighten up there, podner. It's a trailer, not yer blood relatives!

No product appeals to everyone- that doesn't make folks "haters". Just "non-customers".

Sheesh!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
More over, the builders of said Trailers seem to be conducting a vendetta to bad mouth those with LP systems.

Sell on what ya got......

Old 03-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Only one incident for me in 10 years of use

I had a http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-37702.html in my Fiber Stream about 5 years ago. Because I am observant and notice immediately when circumstances are not quite right, I was able to take control of the situation. My partner OTOH...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Robert told me later that he would not have grasped the significance of the yellow flame so quickly, and probably not notice the fire until the whole cabinet was burning.
The Fiber Stream was then 31 years old with the original 2-way refrigerator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ooops, another Urban Myth surfaces.

That camper fire was not caused by the LP tank being left ON, it was cause by something else failing, usually through operator or maintenance error.
I agree!

In today's world, almost everything is either automatic or remote control, and powered by electricity. People generally do their work at a desk on a computer by pushing buttons. To young people, everything before 9-11-2001 is pre-historic and incomprehensible. This is the future of the recreational vehicle market.

How many younger people today are familiar with the life my grandparents and parents lived every day during the last century? I am familiar with those circumstances, and propane use is second nature to me. That is why I am not afraid of it. Younger people today never lived that way, thus the fear.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #26

Virginia
My first choice of trailer was Escape. But logistically, from the east coast, it didn't make sense. I appreciate all information here, but belittling the fact that Lil Snoozy is electric isn't helpful.

It starts out as electric, but that doesn't meant that it can't be something else. Just as an Escape's floorplan can be adjusted to suit the new owner, the Snoozy's energy system can be fitted to any lifestyle.

I really enjoy the research into what I need and want. I like to be a part of the process. I like being a part of the design, having been published for two renovations for my last two houses. And I'm still ready for more information. Carol has gotten me thinking about propane. I'm not afraid of it - just thought I could do without. But it looks like it will be more efficient with propane, so I've adjusted my thinking.

That's all I'm asking - that people be open minded about the Lil Snoozy. Perhaps their answers about propane were unsatisfactory in the past. But I think they've shown a willingness to adjust their thinking, given the propane-fitted trailers they've produced and those that are on the drawing board.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I prefer to not use propane-we usually camp where electric is available.
When it is cold we use a small electric heater.
I also learned that I can survive without a/c -found this out at Eggstravaganza 2013-when our a/c didnt work.
I cook with a small electric skillet.
Also have a battery for the lights and Fantastic fan, if no electric available.
Hurry up spring-go away winter.
Propane or electric-just go camping and have fun.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Lil Snoozy doesn't list a propane option in the future. .
Well the reality is the fact they are offering it is actually very NEW thing. They didn't when they started out but I suspect they got nerves about the fact that a number of their trailers were hitting the used market way to quickly as some purchasers discovered the all electrical didn't work for them. Word travels fast in regards to trailer issues around here!

As I said I think they have put together a nice trailer and layout just haven't bought into their current approach to dealing with the all electric or some propane issue. Nothing belittling intended. Like you originally did a lot of people buy into the idea they can get away with all electric and we have had a number of people here who have purchased the trailer in question only to sell it shortly after. If no one raises their concerns or questions posters as to what their expectations in regards to how they camp and where, the odds are that someone else will quickly make the wrong choose in trailer as well. Its a great choose of trailer but only if purchased by someone who will use it in the fashion it was actually built to be used or like you is willing to do a lot of homework and their own research on how to get extras installed to make it work for them.

As far as the logistics of the Escape being on the West coast goes if you check their webpage you will see a listing for the trucks heading out your way and if they have space on them..... a number of people here from the East coast have had their trailers delivered. Cheaper than the gas needed to go get it yourself.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #29

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I'm not a Snoozy or EggCamper hater. But, I also do not like a sales pitch based on fear. They just don't have the things I feel I need to enjoy the camping experience and give me the preferred comforts. Propane being a prime example. Love the twin bed and backdoor layout of the Snoozy, but eliminated them also because I don't want to be bothered getting appliances to go in the trailer. If a builder, like Escape, gives a choice, ex. 2 burner vs 3 burner stove; stainless vs. white, with or w/o AC, etc. I can deal with those decisions. It is straight forward. I also do not want to deal with a cassette toilet and carrying it somewhere to dump. I cannot lift anything heavy sloshing around. Hooking up a hose and opening a valve is all I want to do. These companies will find their niche customers and be able to fill that small void. But it looks like for the time being, there will be more people who would like to heat. cook and have hot water with propane because it can be readily available wherever they park.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #30

Virginia
I suspect there may be other reasons people sell their trailers - maybe camping's just not for them.

Escape makes a great trailer - as does Boler, Scamp, Casita, etc. But I want to be more hands-on, so an east coast manufacturer is what I prefer. I also like the Parkliner, and it's closer to me than the Snoozy, but I like the Snoozy's rear door layout. Actually, I like all the fiberglass trailers, and don't have anything bad to say about any of them. It's an individual choice.

All I'm trying to do is even out the discussion. Seems to be weighted against the Lil Snoozy. Perhaps with some prior justification.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
I suspect there may be other reasons people sell their trailers - maybe camping's just not for them.

yup but when they decide that camping isn't there thing they don't normally stay members of Fiberglassrv with a picture of their new trailer of a different brand on their profile. LOL
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
My first choice of trailer was Escape. But logistically, from the east coast, it didn't make sense. I appreciate all information here, but belittling the fact that Lil Snoozy is electric isn't helpful.
There are lots of happy Escape owners at, or near, the east coast now.

The OP did ask about using electric/propane vs electric only, and the mention of Lil Snoozys reluctance to do propane, but now do it as an afterthought, is not belittling or hating, just purely observation, as YES an opinion too. And opinions are what the OP is looking for.

Lil Snoozy does build in some features that many have found to their liking, and that is great for those people. Some think Escape is getting too much on the expensive side, and that is a fair observation. We must all weigh out what our preferences are, and go with it. Heck, in the Escape community itself, and due to the myriad of options available, there are many there who have different needs and wants, and choose options to suit their style, options that others consider to be not needed.

On the topic of propane, I would never consider being without it. 120V AC I could do without, but 12V DC is great for fans and lights.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I really don't understand all the angst here. "All-electric" is a growing market in the "big RV" world. And for those who want designed-in-propane-system units, those are plentifully available, too.

Why wouldn't the same thing be true for small trailers?

Point is, if a person wants an all-electric trailer, that's fine. There are plenty of options, now including two molded fiberglass units.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #34

Virginia
All I know is that Lil Snoozy should give me a discount:-)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
All I know is that Lil Snoozy should give me a discount:-)
Yup they should!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #36

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I have set my camper up so should something happen, I can live on or off grid in it. Which includes, electric, gas, solar and generator.
My home is the same way, with a well.
Here in southern Texas my home is all electric. Guess what? last week the power went out. How soon I forgot the simple things in life. [ Only my $.02 ]
Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #37

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
All I'm trying to do is even out the discussion. Seems to be weighted against the Lil Snoozy. Perhaps with some prior justification.
I don't think that the negative comments about Lil Snoozy are about the trailer, which has many innovative features, but against the builder who elects to tell otherwise uninformed buyers that LP is Dangerous and for that reason his product is "Safer". It's about as close to using terror tactics as you can get in sales without actually breaking the rules about misrepresentation. Their problem now is that they have to some how backtrack so they can sell trailers with the new miracle fuel, LP gas, without loosing face to prior customers.

As far as the behemoths going all electric.... Fortunately most of them don't hang in the same places we do. But with their diesel generators running all day and into the evening, those that do sure lets the rest of us know that they are there. I guess if you can afford a $200,000 "camper" you can do what ever you want, or so it seems.

We in FGRV's are but a tiny niche of the world of RVer's, hardly anyone even knows we are here.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #38

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I believe there are now 4-5 Escape owners in Virginia/WDC metro area, 3 in Pennsylvania, One in Delaware, 2 in New Jersey and 1 in West Virginia. You are surrounded by a dozen Escapes. You should arrange to tour one and with shipping costs being split with other owners, the cost of delivery is minimal.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #39

Virginia
Jim, though I really like the Escape, it's not the delivery that made me choose another, but the 5-day drive to BC to watch over it like a mother hen. I'm sure to pester Snoozy to death, so maybe Escape escaped!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Everyone after exploration from all angles
has there own must have list. On a personal
basis, Snoozy had my must have list the way
I wanted. And all-electric became one of them
after learning propane was so dangerous.....LOL
........................JUST KIDDING.......................

I'm not sure what the problem is over
propane or not. Except I do remember all the
questions I had in the back of my mind when
deciding.

A live fire outside seems to fit anything I would
need that propane would supply. Except for
"inside" heat. I don't think there's enough room
in our little eggs for a fireplace..............lol.
That's from being a country boy I guess.

I think our different preferences is dictated by
the conveniences we want whether boondocking
or 30 amping. My style is taken care of by 30 amping.
I carry loads of matches for when and if I need to
start a fire outside.
Closed Thread

Tags
propane