Propane detector - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Thumbs up

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/in...=28039&src=SRQB
Anybody ever use one of these?
After our last little trip, the wife kept saying in stinks in here. At first I thought it was the antifreeze in the traps and lines but it goes away if I turn off the propane at the tank.
My smeller is not very good but I smelled it outside near the refrig. or the water heater outside doors. Later, I tried a small spray bottle with dish soap in it to spray on every joint I could find but didn''t see any bubbles. I spotted this at Camping world and thought maybe that would help me. Think I should go ahead and spend the money and take it to a dealer? Not sure if this little detector was worth it's price and wondered if anyone knew anything about them.
Just last year I bought this and had to get it inspected and they found nothing but don't know how well they checked at the RV dealer prior to giving me the inspection sticker.
I know this is nothing to PLAY with!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Is your propane bottle getting low? The last 10-15% of the bottle will put out a strong oder when burning. May be time to refill?.............Mike B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Is your propane bottle getting low? The last 10-15% of the bottle will put out a strong oder when burning. May be time to refill?.............Mike B
Forgot to mention that refrig. was on 110 and water heater not lit either due to being full of anti-freeze. Maybe smell lingered from using stove burners? Never heard that about the last 10-15% before but that's an idea. I'll check.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot
If you are going to use this tester, bear in mind that Propane is heavy and settles low.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Also, we have some manuals in the Document Center for a couple of Propane Monitors. You can read up for FREE! Document Center - Safety Equipment - Alarms and Monitors
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Also, we have some manuals in the Document Center for a couple of Propane Monitors. You can read up for FREE! Document Center - Safety Equipment - Alarms and Monitors
That's an idea! Since I ought to be getting one of these anyway, I could probably use it for a handheld to poke around and then mount it when I solve the problem.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Does anyone know if there are battery-powered propane and carbon monoxide detectors? We don't want to bother with hard wiring and are hoping that battery-powered ones are available (I didn't see any on Camping World's website).
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Does anyone know if there are battery-powered propane and carbon monoxide detectors? We don't want to bother with hard wiring and are hoping that battery-powered ones are available (I didn't see any on Camping World's website).
We tried to save some money by buying a electric plug-in / battery operated carbon monoxide/propane detector at our local Fred Meyers store when it was on sale. Ours was the Kiddie Nighthawk, model KN-COEG-3. Boy, what a bad idea! It's intended for home use, and as long as it's plugged in it works great, but while traveling or camping without an electric power supply it runs off the battery, and within a very short time (like 2 days or so) it will start beeping to let you know you should replace the batteries. We found this to be very annoying!

We decided that it was a bad idea for our Casita, so last weekend we installed a hard wired propane detector. Results: continous protection, no beeping, 2 happy campers!
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Jeanne - Darn it! That isn't what I wanted to hear. Glad you shared it though! Thanks!
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Chris, we have a more expensive ($125) combustible gas detector that we bought to use for a business we don't do anymore. We use it all the time with our campers, especially since we and our friend like to camp in old trailer that usually need work. I can't say how well the one in the link work but ours will detect very small leaks that soap and water haven't shown.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
Chris, we have a more expensive ($125) combustible gas detector that we bought to use for a business we don't do anymore. We use it all the time with our campers, especially since we and our friend like to camp in old trailer that usually need work. I can't say how well the one in the link work but ours will detect very small leaks that soap and water haven't shown.
Would you care to give us more details about the make and model of your detector?

I'm interested.

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Would you care to give us more details about the make and model of your detector?
I'm interested.
Yves.
It's a UEI CD100A

http://www.ueitest.com/product-cd100a.html

We paid about $135.00us about 3 years ago from an online store, but I don't remember which one.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #13

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Just a thought, it could be the hot water heater or battery,once we had a very bad smell in our camper that we thought was a gas line leak. The problem was none of our dectors (and we have both types) were not going off......so we were stumped so we just turned off everything till we got home.When we got home we did the soapy water test and everthing elese DH could think of and the smell was still there. Next we drained our HOT WATER heater and there it was .........the water had soured in the unit. Also checked the battery and found it was Low on water. Never had the smell again ......all you guys & girls have made great suggestions and I know this one sounds corny...but when you are checking you might as well check it all,because water that has soured in the hot water heater or battery gone bad does smell like gas or sometimes even rotten eggs.

Thanks for listening,Lynn M
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Quote:
It's a UEI CD100A

http://www.ueitest.com/product-cd100a.html

We paid about $135.00us about 3 years ago from an online store, but I don't remember which one.
I had mentioned once before that I had seen a gas company person use something looking quite simple and hand held, for checking out all lines. Perhaps everyone needs not buy one but certainly have lines checked. It is true that a low tank will put out strong methane smell, and if any pilot is on, it will seem like a bad propane leak. I recently stayed in a friends large motor home while on a visit and the propane was on for the furnace. The smell was present each time the furnace came on. They did have a monitor and it never once showed anything! In some cases, where the leaking propane may gather in-under cabinet or stove it can become quite dangerous because even a tiny static spark can set it off. Always trust your nose and be careful about opening closed areas where there might be gas accumulations.
Renee K. is offline   Reply With Quote