Propane Tank Storage Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I couldn't help but notice in the storage post pictures, the propane tank is lying on its side. I always thought that these were supposed to be carried upright, and in a quick search I found a document called Transportation of Propane Cylinders and Bulk Tanks by Road, from Alberta Transportation. Here's an excerpt from it...
Quote:
...according to CSA Standard B340 [Section 5.10 (1)(a)(I)], any gas with a liquid phase (for example, propane which is liquefied, or acetylene, which is dissolved in acetone), must be transported upright so that the safety valves are in contact with the vapour space and not the liquid.
Although this is an Alberta document refering to a Canadian standard, the reasoning seems universally applicable: I believe that cylinders designed for upright use should be held upright in storage.

There's a less formal guide called Transporting Propane Cylinders from the Propane Gas Association of Canada which essentially says the same thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
YABBUT Brian....MAYBE "they" DO things differently in sunny Florida...tee hee?!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
The exception would be a bottle designed to be on it's side. I had a camper with one, and many forklifts have them also. Those designed to lay on their sides have hold-down brackets which make it obvious.
You have brought up a good point which everyone should be aware of, particularily if transporting bottles for refill. Many of us have propane fueled barbeques, even if we don't use them with our TT's.
Thanks for the safety reminder.
Keep the side up!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I know the post is about the handy pouch on the inside of the box lid (great idea ), but I couldn't help but notice the propane tank lying on its side. I always thought that these were supposed to be carried upright, and in a quick search I found a document called Transportation of Propane Cylinders and Bulk Tanks by Road, from Alberta Transportation. Here's an excerpt from it...

Although this is an Alberta document refering to a Canadian standard, the reasoning seems universally applicable: I believe that cylinders designed for upright use should be held upright in storage.

There's a less formal guide called Transporting Propane Cylinders from the Propane Gas Association of Canada which essentially says the same thing.
This is great information!!!! This is something I did not consider. I did move the battery to a location inside the trailer as I did not want there to be any chance of creating a spark in the same storage unit as the propane tank. Guess I'll have to store the tank in the back of my truck. FYI - the tank is not hooked up to the valves. I simply take the tank out of the trailer box and set it on the ground. Thanks again, YOU MAY HAVE SAVED MY LIFE.
LeBoutillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
The exception would be a bottle designed to be on it's side. I had a camper with one, and many forklifts have them also. Those designed to lay on their sides have hold-down brackets which make it obvious.
You have brought up a good point which everyone should be aware of, particularily if transporting bottles for refill. Many of us have propane fueled barbeques, even if we don't use them with our TT's.
Thanks for the safety reminder.
Keep the side up!
Kurt & Ann K.
Agree. As a matter of fact, I viewed a mod about a month ago where I noticed two propane tanks stored in one storage unit. Well, along with those two tanks was the battery. Since propane is heavier than air and will settle, any spark may create combustion. Even if one vents their tank storage, there is still a chance for an accident. I wish I could find that mod post - I'd send the author a "heads-up".
Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The reason why it wouldn't be OK to store or transport propane tanks on their sides must have to do with the possibility of mechanical damage to the tank. With the skirting welded to the bottom, it can take considerable abuse including setting on a porous surface that stays wet. It would take a long time in salty water to rust enough to compromise the tank.

But laying on its side, as soon as the paint surface was damaged, there is just a thin cross section of steel to rust through.

That said, it should be remembered that the propane coming out of the tank is supposed to be gas, not liquid. The liquid in the tank evaporates at a pressure higher than ambient air pressure. The gas flows out through the valve directly into a pressure regulator which provides a calibrated, stable, low pressure for use in the coach. All propane appliances in the coach are specifically designed and also calibrated to operate at this standard low pressure.

If for some reason liquid propane gets through to the pressure regulator, I would expect the temperature drop due to evaporation would freeze up the regulator. Not a good thing. It would probably freeze shut, but what if it froze open? Then full bottle pressure would be applied to all your coach piping and appliances. A plethora of not a good things!

So to avoid the temptation of disconnecting an empty bottle and just swinging your connection over to your bottle 'stored' on its side, it would seem better to store it upright.

There are likely some other considerations on this topic that I'm unaware of. I just feel a bit uneasy (and irked) when told not to do something without knowing a reasonable reason. Nothing serious enough to see a shrink, or bad enough to cause an ugly scene, just a minor personality glitch.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #7

I believe that the issue with storing this type of cylinder on its side is that the valve would be exposed to liquid, but not due to regulator concerns - I was only talking about storage, meaning while disconnected as shown in the box. If the tank needs to vent, instead of a moderate quantity of vapour being released there would be a stream of liquid, which would then rapidly evaporate, creating a much bigger deal than a minor venting of vapour.

I think Loren has a good point about cylinder position in use, explaining why it would be a bad thing to attempt use of such a cylinder horizontally. Horizontal cylinders such as the ones Kurt mentioned have different fittings, and some are designed to deliver liquid propane to a regulator designed for that purpose (such as used in propane-fueled vehicles), but I believe that the over-pressure protection vent is still on top, in the vapour space. Horizontal cylinders are routinely built into motorhomes which are expected to drive to a bulk filling station, while trailers are normally treated as portable applications.

The propane tank and battery in the same box seems to occur often, but some installations that look like one compartment are really divided internally into separate areas, with appropriate venting and electrical isolation. I think this can be handled quite safely, but it takes some thought.

For this particular storage box, since the battery is already elsewhere, I think that if there is enough height to place the cylinder upright and there is venting low in the box, then it's a perfectly reasonable place to carry the propane. There are bases designed to securely hold a propane tank upright, since a loose tank isn't very stable standing up.

I didn't mean to make a big deal of this - just to identify a hazard that any of us could unintentionally create.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 PM   #8

This is all great information and propane use, storage, etc, shold not be taken lightly. I plan on storing the propane in my garage when not in use, then placing the tank in my trailer box (on it's side as it will not fit upright) during transportation. I'll keep you posted on my findings. Funny how this post was originally intended to show the soft organizer screwed into the trailer box.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I plan on storing the propane in my garage when not in use.
Phil, this storage method is not recommended either! In fact, I think there's even something about it on the tank There's a reason those "exchange" propane tank businesses store the tanks outside and it doesn't have anything to do with convenience.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #10

I agree with Donna that propane tanks belong outside, or in a properly ventilated enclosure. Covered against weather is good, but fully enclosed is not, because any leaked or vented propane will pool near the floor, perhaps dangerously. This is why propane-fueled vehicles are generally banned from enclosed parking buildings. The small (one-pound) disposable cylinders are allowed inside (for storage or while is use with some appliances such as indoor-rated space heaters), which I believe is a reflection of the size of the hazard - a bigger tank presents a bigger risk.

My trailer's tanks just sit on the trailer tongue getting weathered, and the extra two (which can be used for the barbeque) sit outside the garage, right against the wall so the overhang protects them from rain.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Covers to protect the propane bottles are available at most RV service stores. Just in case there is still any confusion,if there is an opening below the bottles on the tongue of your TT, then leaking propane would not be trapped inside the cover. As someone else mentioned, propane is heavier than air and flows down and it will pool at floor level if leaking inside a closed RV. To ignite a propane pilot light, place the match at the base of the pilot flame shield. Natural gas in your home is lighter than air and rises to ceiling level. To ignite a gas appliance at home if it is connected to a natural gas supply, place the match just above the pilot burner.
Hopefully, the mud is now slightly clearer
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote:
I did move the battery to a location inside the trailer as I did not want there to be any chance of creating a spark in the same storage unit as the propane tank.
I hope that you are not intending to keep the battery inside, unless you install it in an enclosed battery box, vented to the outside. Batteries give off toxic gases.

When you transport a propane tank to have it filled, it fits nicely in a milk crate, and that stops it from falling over, and rocking and rolling around in the back of your pick up.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Something was mentioned about propane canisters vs propane tanks. That it was ok to store a canister inside. A canister is manufactured and filled and tested at the factory. There's no valves except the one that you screw an appliance into and out of to fail. I have seen that one fail and it's quite impressive when it does. A propane tank and two valves that can leak. The main valve and the overflow valve. The one the guy/gal open when filling. Either one of those could have a small leak, leaking propane into an enclosed area goes boom.

I for one don't like big booms of that type.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
I hope that you are not intending to keep the battery inside, unless you install it in an enclosed battery box, vented to the outside. Batteries give off toxic gases.

When you transport a propane tank to have it filled, it fits nicely in a milk crate, and that stops it from falling over, and rocking and rolling around in the back of your pick up.
Yes, it is stored in a vented battery box.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I for one don't like big booms of that type.
Spoilsport...

FWIW, there are many applications for horizontal LP tanks. I have two forty-pound Worthington aluminum horizontal tanks on my Airstream. As was mentioned above, forklifts use them, as to most motorhomes. The don't, of course, adhere to the OPD valve standard because OPD valves won't function horizontally. Tanks manufactured to be used horizontally are exempt from the OPD requirements. My tanks are under the tapered cover on the tongue.

I decided this winter to cover the tanks on the Scamp. I used a good quality black trash bag. It fit snugly over the two tanks and regulator and has been happily protecting them from the elements all winter. It doesn't even look trashy! (pun intended...)

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Airstream_3021.JPG  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
...The(y) don't, of course, adhere to the OPD valve standard because OPD valves won't function horizontally. Tanks manufactured to be used horizontally are exempt from the OPD requirements....

Hmmm. I'm going keep my opinion open on this. Manchester makes horizontal tanks with an OPD valve, so perhaps the industry has caught up some since the OPD standard was introduced.

http://www.mantank.com/products/steel_propane/20.htm

As to whether they're exempt or not, I will defer to Roger who has probably looked this all up. Probably a different set of rules for permanently installed tanks vs. portable tanks.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #17

Interesting reference, Steve.

The linked page at Manchester Tank does clearly show a horizontal tank with OPD-equipped valve. It's also clearly apparent in the photo that the horizontal tank has distinct top side - although the cylinder shape is horizontal, the valve is still always on top.

Their Product Safety page has a Helpful Hints link, which has a nice clear section entitled...
CAUTION: USE LP-GAS CONTAINERS IN PROPER POSITION.

The same page also addresses the use of 80% fill ports and weighing for control of filling (FILLING YOUR LP-GAS CONTAINER), which addresses the issue we discussed in the topic Propane tank Level?. The dip tube (to 80% level) and port are what Manchester calls a "fixed level gauge"; note that these are not provided in all tanks, and in fact are not in any of the tanks I have seen for sale in the Edmonton area (OPD or not).

Manchester Tank seems to be a good source of clear propane handling information. Thanks, Steve.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #18

Fascinating, Steve! That's a new development since last I looked!

I would say at this point that for the forseeable future, most of the horizontal tanks are permanent mounts, although the Worthingtons I have are portable and remain exempt. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay that way, I guess. That new Manchester tank obviously has an "up" side that my Worthington aluminum tanks don't have.

Roger
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
That new Manchester tank obviously has an "up" side that my Worthington aluminum tanks don't have.

Roger
Im not sure how your tanks dont have an "up" side to them unless they are made to be filled to less than 50%. If they have a standard vapor tube in them, you have to make sure the vapor tube is in the proper place or it will allow liquid to go to the regulator (Unless of course your regulator is made for this, I dont know anything about Airstreams). Forklift tanks have 4 fittings on them, vapor and gas mounted horizonally and vapor and gas mounted vertically. Usually the vertical connections are plugged as forklifts use the horizonal mounting but they are usually there.

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 AM   #20

I don't know either, Rich. Obviously the valve is different, but the tanks are identical to a 40# Worthington vertical tank. There is no "up" indicated when the tank is lying on it's side. The valve is located in the same place as well, in the center of the collar. I've never paid much attention to the regulator though, so it may in fact, be OK with liquid LP reaching it.

Roger