Proper propane regulator pressure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #1

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe Plan B
PHOENIX
Proper propane regulator pressure

Hi all,
Second post here. my regulator to my propane tank is damaged (I'm gonna use just one tank to start). I went to pick up a new regulator so I can hook it up, test lines, etc, but learned standing in the aisle of Ace Hardware that there are different regulators: 0-5lbs adjustable, 10lbs, some that have a warning DO NOT USE ON GRILLS!, etc.

My setup is original: just a two burner stove and a built in Coleman lantern (not sure if I'll use the lantern).

Anyone know what spec I need for my regulator?
2019 Subaru Outback ~ Harold
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
This hopefully isn't the best answer you'll get here, but personally I wouldn't buy one at a hardware store unless I knew exactly what I was looking for. Good chance they don't even carry the right type.

RV store or online otherwise.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Hi all,
Second post here. my regulator to my propane tank is damaged (I'm gonna use just one tank to start). I went to pick up a new regulator so I can hook it up, test lines, etc, but learned standing in the aisle of Ace Hardware that there are different regulators: 0-5lbs adjustable, 10lbs, some that have a warning DO NOT USE ON GRILLS!, etc.

My setup is original: just a two burner stove and a built in Coleman lantern (not sure if I'll use the lantern).

Anyone know what spec I need for my regulator?
The regulator should reduce tank pressure to 11-inches of water column. That means that it will support a column of water 11-inches high.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The correct answer is ELEVEN INCHES OF WATER COLUMN.
Here's one on Amazon. For now you can put a plug where the second port is and they have others but your hoses are probably cracked too.
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...349c7ebfa29243
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

PHOENIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
The correct answer is ELEVEN INCHES OF WATER COLUMN.
Here's one on Amazon. For now you can put a plug where the second port is and they have others but your hoses are probably cracked too.
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...349c7ebfa29243
Thanks Joe & all. I'll use that link to find something comparable locally either at Home Depot or the RV store (I'm a fairly consistent localist) but no judgement to those who aren't, just my way of doing things. :-)

I read another article on how to make my own 'manometer' (sp?). Looking forward to that making that to test lines, etc. Thankfully inside they are mostly brass.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Making your own manometer will let you know what pressure your regulator is outputting but experience tells me that if it's low just replace it. I've never been able to adjust one that was low to the prople level.

I gave that link for reference.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

PHOENIX
Thanks Joe!
Digital communication is so lacking. I genuinely appreciate the link. 👍🏼 If we were having a beer instead of typing the inter web you’da caught my comment was directed to the world! 👊🏼
🍻
Old 06-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Joe
I like the Marshall MEGR 253 Regulator. It’s a a Two tank model with automatic switchover, vented, adjustable pressure, vertical mount in the threaded rod that holds your tanks in place. Made in Marshall Michigan. About + - $50. New pigtails and a new supply line to the brass fitting that starts the trailer supply system and you’re cooking with gas. Make sure to check all connections for leaks. (With soapy water or better yet the commercial leak detection product in a bottle with a dauber.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Obviously absolutely nothing wrong with shopping local. Depending on where you live, you have better or worse luck. Where I live, I'd need to drive an hour to find a regulator for anything more than a barbecue. That's still fairly local. But no RV store in my town. I buy local when I can and when the price isn't significantly higher. I'm ok paying a bit more for a local store. But in some places of the country, you get sick of driving all over town just to confirm that yep, nobody has that part in stock. And unfortunately the default starts to be ordering online before even checking locally.

Not trying to send your thread down a rabbit hole and I know you weren't placing blame, just posting my opinion on it since I'm one of those people living where there's not much available...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #10

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
You can check with your local gas company as they will have the correct regulator you need and know what they are talking about. I use to own a propane company and there are high pressure regulators you adjust for Turkey cookers ,cast iron fish cookers ect. Then you have RV regulators set up for dual tanks with crossovers along with pigtails ( I suggest changing out every 4-5 years if covered sooner if in sun). You can T off it with a quick release And long hose to hook up your grill n light. The regulators you get in grill dept. in box stores are cheaply made and will fail quickly. Soap and water the connections periodically and after changing. Just pick up a kids bottle of bubbles cut off a artist brush and keep in it works like a champ. I made a piece of pvc n cap holder and tie wrapped it to the top of the bottle holder rod. Just my 2 cents worth.
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane