Question about jackstands - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Erik
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Question about jackstands

I have seen it recommended to use a jack and jackstand when servicing the bearings & wheels (on my Scamp 13). However, when I purchased a jackstand for this purpose, the label on the device specified that it was not to be used on an RV or travel trailer. Can anyone help me to understand why? It also specifies using the jackstands only in pairs rather than on only the side being jacked up for wheel service. Are there any jackstands approved for RV's? Thanks.

Erik in Oregon
eaufderheide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:23 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I wonder if it means not to use it for leveling or stabilizing?
Old 05-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #3

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Jackstands

I use maintenance jack stands for only maintenance on my trailer but not for long term support. This may be what the manufacture is meaning.

A maintenance jack stands are typically ratchet or pin (not common) adjustment. This means you need to lower the vehicle (trailer) on to the jack.

RV jack stands are screw adjust and can be raised to match the vehicle (trailer). Also, the RV jack does not have a quick release like a maintenance jack stand, thereby providing more stability for long term usage.

As for using two jacks, this is a standard practice to ensure that the raising of the unit is even and stable. Since, my trailer has a frame, as most do, I used only one maintenance stand under the axle when I am performing work on the bearings. I raise the trailer using a bottle jack, lower the frame onto the maintenance jack stand and leave the bottle jack in place.

Keep in mind that the with any jack the load limit should never be exceeded.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Years ago I bought a set of automotive Jack stands. The label included a lot of warnings including: “Do not use to support a vehicle” and “never work underneath a vehicle supported by these stands”.

Seems like their lawyers were working overtime..
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used jack stands to support my trailer for years with no problems. A piece of 2x10 helps to prevent sinking on soft surfaces. My main reason for not using them is they often get stolen if the trailer is unattended.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Definitely a load of "Lawyer-ese" at its finest. It's right up there with "Don't use this 120 VAC toaster in the bathtub." It's all CYA product liability protection for their product so they don't get sued by people too stupid to use a product safely or as it was intended to be used.

Why else would you buy jack stands if not to insure the rig won't come down if the lifting jack fails? Duh?
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita 17' LD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaufderheide View Post
I have seen it recommended to use a jack and jackstand when servicing the bearings & wheels (on my Scamp 13). However, when I purchased a jackstand for this purpose, the label on the device specified that it was not to be used on an RV or travel trailer. Can anyone help me to understand why? It also specifies using the jackstands only in pairs rather than on only the side being jacked up for wheel service. Are there any jackstands approved for RV's? Thanks.

Erik in Oregon
There is a reason for using jack stands on both sides. Using a jackstand on only one side leaves the trailer supported by one jackstand, one wheel, and the tongue, whatever it is sitting upon like dirt or wooden block. OK, so the wheel can roll, and the tongue can slide sideways and the jackstand tip over----all at the same time. Needless to say, it is coming down when that happens.

An even better suggestion is to have the tongue hitched to the tow vehicle so it can't slide sideways.
Frank R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What kimd of jack stand do you have? A maintenance jack stand would be the ones to use. A stabelizing jack stand is so ething else.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If I were going to be under the trailer with the wheels off, I would want some redundancy in the jack stands.

I'm thinking of the recently recalled units from Harbor Freight that did not fully engage the stops and were prone to drop down without warning. I know HF is known for cheap products, but you just never know.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R. View Post
An even better suggestion is to have the tongue hitched to the tow vehicle so it can't slide sideways.

^^ +1 !!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If I were going to be under the trailer with the wheels off, I would want some redundancy in the jack stands.

I'm thinking of the recently recalled units from Harbor Freight that did not fully engage the stops and were prone to drop down without warning. I know HF is known for cheap products, but you just never know.
There was even a thief killed recently trying to steal a Catalytic and his jack failed, car fell and killed him
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Frank R. Is spot on about having something to "lock it down" from shifting while working on it. A norm for jack stands is to have other axle tires blocked in place or totally on stands the latter has "let" some people down in the past too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #13

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
There was even a thief killed recently trying to steal a Catalytic and his jack failed, car fell and killed him

"That sounds like it worked out well, for everyone else around there.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Jack stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post

"That sounds like it worked out well, for everyone else around there.
I prefer to be hooked up to the tow vehicle but if not I put four chocks on the opposite side tandem tires, leave the big three ton floor Jack up against the frame and use two three ton maintenance Jack stands to assure front and back stability. On the front Jack post if not hooked up I use a large piece of roughy lumber that won’t slide on the concrete floor. I don’t work in the grass or gravel unless it’s an emergency which hasn’t happened on any trailer I’ve owned. Of course I have a good changing a tire in the dark story for another time.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Iowa Dave and me, thats how I do it too. Must be an Iowa thing, me, from Fort Madison.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Fort Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Iowa Dave and me, thats how I do it too. Must be an Iowa thing, me, from Fort Madison.
As a town with an historic past and some neat features, I like Fort Madison. I had a friend who was the Parks and Rec Director there. His name was John Brenna. That was in the late 80s and early 90s. He put on a good fall workshop once. Further down the road is Keokuk. If you blink, you’ll miss it and soon be in Misery.
Haven’t been to Fort Madison for quite a few years but do see the big crowbar hotel they have there on TV occasionally.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #17

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I admit I often don't know Jack. And I'll stand by that.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #18

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Years ago I bought a set of automotive Jack stands. The label included a lot of warnings including: “Do not use to support a vehicle” and “never work underneath a vehicle supported by these stands”.

Seems like their lawyers were working overtime..
Were they from Harbor Freight? With all the recalls that warning might have actually been legit..
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote